V-Twin Forum banner

Olympia, WA-Reno early Oct.-advice please

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Y2K 
#1 ·
I'm planning to meet some relatives in Reno on Oct 8th and staying a couple of days. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on a route to take or avoid and if there will be a high possibility of snow in the passes. I plan on taking a couple of days to ride down. Any help would be appreciated. I'm mainly concerned about encountering snow or ice.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Usually good through Oct.But it can snow any month of the year in No. Nevada.(even July&Aug.)Good luck.

#3 · (Edited)
IF the weather is good I would take I-5 south, up I-84 (the gorge) and take 97 south to Susanville ( Eagle lake instead of Alturas) then on to Reno.

Much less traffic, lots of neat scenery..

Variations could be

1. Go east of Seattle to Yakima, then 97 south

2. I-5 south to the Goshen exit ( just a couple of miles south of Eugene, OR.), I-58 east to 97

3. Portland east through Sandy over to 97...

4. I-5 to the Susanville exit just south of Mt. Shasta, CA.

Personally too much of I-5 would be real boring....

#4 ·
Pretty much what Firetronix said. There's actually a possibility of snow above
7000' this weekend. Bring warm clothes. It shouldn't be cold in Reno but
definitely will be cold at higher elevations in the am and pm up high.
Generally a perfect time to ride in surrounding areas, tree colors and not too
crowded.

#5 ·
Thanks for the comments! Makes me feel a lot better about the ride. I am actually now thinking of taking a route my dad used to it was his "fast" way to Reno and it would be kind of a cool memory for me to redo that trip in memory. He used to go I-5 south then take a turnoff around Eugene I believe and to Kalamath falls then to Alturas and then Susanville then to Reno I think.

Thanks again guys...I really appreciate it.

#6 · (Edited)
Flounder said:
Thanks for the comments! Makes me feel a lot better about the ride. I am actually now thinking of taking a route my dad used to it was his "fast" way to Reno and it would be kind of a cool memory for me to redo that trip in memory. He used to go I-5 south then take a turnoff around Eugene I believe and to Kalamath falls then to Alturas and then Susanville then to Reno I think.

Thanks again guys...I really appreciate it.
That would be the Goshen/HWY58 exit just past Eugene, OR.

If you go the Alturas way, there is a shortcut turnoff before you get to Susanville on your left...

The alturas way is desert and less scenic than the Eagle lake way.. Just my opinion...

#7 ·
Pretty good sized fire going in the Alturas area from what I understand.Watch out for smoke obstructing your view of the road.
Ride safe.

#8 ·
Correction:Auburn,Ca.area not Alturas area.My bad.

#10 ·
minivan said:
That would be the Goshen/HWY58 exit just past Eugene, OR.

If you go the Alturas way, there is a shortcut turnoff before you get to Susanville on your left...

The alturas way is desert and less scenic than the Eagle lake way.. Just my opinion...
Great ride on 58,then another good side bar route/shortcut is to turn off 97 at Chiloquin and follow the Sprage River down to hiway 140 just West of Lakeview and cut over to 395 South.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.