Panhandling : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Non-Motorcycle Related Discussion > Off Topic Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

twood71 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Panhandling

It's starting up again here around my work area, Yes I said work area.

I understand being homeless and how easily that can happen. My parents brought that on us when I was a child and we went 2 months with no place to live.

What I still don't quit get is the physical ability to stand 5 days a week on a stoplight corner, between hot concrete roads or black top from 10am or noon until 4pm or 5pm with a sign that says unable to find work, or homeless but yet claim they can't find work or physically can not work due to health reasons?

Because if you give Me Strength,

I'm gonna need bail money to go with it

2005 FLHRCI
Brand New Air in tires, spared no Expense
47,000mls
twood71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Blackstar57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
There are several of them around my town. There were 2 of them competing for the Walmart exit... location, location, location. Another guy who used to set up in front of a local supermarket had a sign that said "Passing through, on my way home, ran out of money, please help me or my dog" He had a medium sized dog with him... and lived in an apartment a couple blocks from the store... Go figure...

Blackstar57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtybrain is reading this now saying WTF is this? dirtybrain is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Hmmm. I know a bunch of dudes who get big fat checks from the government every month because they have similar claims. They ride big expensive motorcycles, go skiing, go snowboarding, go hunting, play sports, and have nice high-paying government jobs.

I can't figure out which is worse.
dirtybrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

jachd17 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Got plenty of them around here, almost every intersection that has a red light. Vast majority of them are known addicts. They won't leave until people stop supporting their habits.
jachd17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider is still riding a stock bike RGRider is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachd17 View Post
Got plenty of them around here, almost every intersection that has a red light. Vast majority of them are known addicts. They won't leave until people stop supporting their habits.
Wait, so it IS like the feeding wildlife analogy?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

tberry wants to know Dino or Syn?
Seen a skit on Dateline while back on one guy who worked 8-5 then went out on the street corner.Opened the trunk and changed into ratty clothes and stood on the corner with a sign in cali.Said he took in an extra $30 to $35k cash a year by doing that.Damn
Old 05-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

ecir45 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
don't mind helping the ones that look to be legitimately in need. The problem is the bad ones mess it up for the ones that truly need it. One gal here has been pregnant for a couple years now with a fake belly. They use dogs to avoid being arrested, cops wont mess with them to avoid dealing with animals.
ecir45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 05:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S is still riding a stock bike Alan S is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecir45 View Post
They use dogs to avoid being arrested, cops wont mess with them to avoid dealing with animals.
I'll have to remember that when it comes time to supplement my retirement.

Rules read.
Alan S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 05:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

HiAngle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I posted on my county's police Facebook page asking if panhandling has become a competitive sport. They are everywhere now. I won't give a dime to them because they are sporting new sneakers, etc. Apparently the county had to stop arresting them because of a court case that deemed it freedom of speech.

The King puts the balls where the Queen wants them.
HiAngle is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

twood71 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecir45 View Post
don't mind helping the ones that look to be legitimately in need. The problem is the bad ones mess it up for the ones that truly need it. One gal here has been pregnant for a couple years now with a fake belly. They use dogs to avoid being arrested, cops wont mess with them to avoid dealing with animals.
From little experience of actually giving to a panhandler, They either wanted cash or a pack of smokes. Never had one take a business card or a offer for a meal on me. Heck that was 8-10 years ago.

It's getting huge here, use to never see it here.

Because if you give Me Strength,

I'm gonna need bail money to go with it

2005 FLHRCI
Brand New Air in tires, spared no Expense
47,000mls
twood71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

nmaineron wants to know Dino or Syn?
I saw a guy in Portland Maine last weekend that had a sign that read I just need money for a beer.I'd give that guy a buck!
nmaineron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2017, 08:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Barnacle Bill is reading this now saying WTF is this?
They're everywhere, a news crew talked to a guy that watched a guy park his Mercedes behind a fast food joint, go into the place in a suit, come out in crappy clothes and stand at a intersection.

This guy stood beside him with his own sign telling people what was going on. Fake bum ain't been seen since.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

jmelin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberry View Post
Seen a skit on Dateline while back on one guy who worked 8-5 then went out on the street corner.Opened the trunk and changed into ratty clothes and stood on the corner with a sign in cali.Said he took in an extra $30 to $35k cash a year by doing that.Damn
So I could start panhandling and buy a new bike every year? But then I would have to swallow my pride and start riding new bikes.
jmelin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Yellerbike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Coming back from a long roll I stopped to get gas, this young guy (to me) came up with the usual story, "trying to get home, no gas, hungry, just spent about all they had left on dog food, etc.. Told him I'd buy them a burger but no money. I walked over to the van they were driving and ask to see gas gauge and it was just off empty, nice looking yellow Lab and a 5 lb. bag of Wally World dog food. Ask what burger they wanted and he said closest place. I filled my RK and his van, he gave me $4.43 and we rode down to MD's. I asked want do you want, and just a burger was the answer. They got XLG everything. I might just have pissed away 42 bucks but the rest of the ride was great. He got his $4.43 back

"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Yellerbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Nubwagon wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yup there's one fat b!tch around work who is out there all the time looking for money. And every time I see her, she's out there smoking cigarettes. Sorry, you won't get any of my pity or money. My guess is that she's never held a job, let alone a marketing one.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.