Dangerous Dog NEXT DOOR - what to do? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Off Topic Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2003, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

ksims1868 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dangerous Dog NEXT DOOR - what to do?

Let me give you some background...I just bought a house last weekend and moved in. The day I finished moving and brought my dog home with me the neighbor's dog jumped the fence and attacked him in the middle of the night...around 1:00 AM. He was securely chained during the whole ordeal, but was able to fend off the attacking dog and sustained only minor injuries. I called the Police/Animal Control, but they did nothing. I tried to contact the neighbor, but he will NOT respond to my messages.

Here we go...please read and offer advice if you can. Thank you.

Okay...It happened AGAIN last night. Luckily this time I was outside playing with Duke when it happened...he is no longer outside with out DIRECT supervision because of the first incident on October 2nd.

Anyways...I heard the neighbor's dog come over the fence and Duke ran over there to check it out. They did get into another fight, but this time I was able to get Duke's attention and get him in the house before he sustained any damage/bites.

The neighbor's dog got back over the fence before I could get to it and deal with him myself.

So...I once again called the Police and they patched me through to an Animal Control Officer. It was the same one as the other night last week. He remembered me. This time I DEMANDED that he come out ASAP and deal with the neighbor. The neighbor has not returned my messages regarding his dog, and is obviously still leaving it off the chain. And the dog is NOT a Lab mix...it looks like a pure Pit Bull to me...not that I want to cause any more bad PR for our breed...but this is an UN-neutered mature male Pit Bull with serious aggression issues. This is NOT safe.

Well...the ACO came out pretty quickly (within 10 minutes) but didn't do ANYTHING. He looked around, said..."yep...there's blood here. there was a fight here..." and said he really can't do anything because the neighbor wouldn't answer the door. But upon further discussion with the ACO he let me know that he KNOWS who this neighbor is and has had problems with this dog in the past. He even described his kids to me...one child has a prosthetic leg, so it was pretty obvious he DOES know who they are.

WHAT CAN I DO??? Remember...I just bought this house and moved in last weekend. This is the SECOND time my dog has been attacked in MY back yard and they ACO still won't take possession of the neighbor's dog.

I'm already trying to contact the HOA to see if I can put up some razor wire or a hot wire on that side of the fence...it is unlikely they will allow it, but I want to keep them in the loop on what is happening.

I don't know what else to do...other than waiting in my backyard with a gun, but I don't want the reprocussions of discharging a firearm in a neighborhood.

I just don't know where to go from here. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Duke is doing fine by the way. He is happily in my garage laying on the cool concrete floor. He has a big pillow/bed, but prefers the cool concrete.
ksims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2003, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

medicinewoman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I wonder if you can get a restraining order on a dog? I would persue it with Animal Control find out what the laws are in your State of Texas. Sounds like the dog has "priors". You can find out information on the internet for laws in your State. Also call Attorney's who deal in dog bite cases and dog attacks. They will give you some useful information over the phone for free. Good luck. And keep us posted.

Cheri
medicinewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

HarleyHottie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hotwire baby, that'll stop it right quick. Do a top line and bottom line and use a source rated for livestock (horses, cows). My place is wired cuz my little dog kept escaping and that put a stop to it right quick. Make sure you're sitting out there waiting because the dog won't be able to get back over. Just call AC and have them come get it. Screw HO assoc, they need to do something about the neighborhood nuisance before it gets a kid.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bot
IronButt

Bot wants to know Dino or Syn?
Change the antifreeze in your car in the backyard. Forget to discard the old. Keep your dog out of reach. End of problem.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

HarleyHottie wants to know Dino or Syn?
My way won't cause you any legal problems whatsoever and that dog won't come back over once they spring it from the pound.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

FXDeanX wants to know Dino or Syn?
New neighbor moved in recently and his dog was always running into my yard bothering mine. This was usually followed by the neighbor running around my yard trying to catch his dog. One day his animal ran towards me with him right behind. A solid front kick to the nose sent the dog packing. The neighbor looked at me kinda stunned and before he could open his mouth I said, "The next ass I kick is yours" He turned around and left and I haven't had either of them in my yard since.
FXDeanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Lightnin wants to know where he is and how he got here
I think Cheri has the right idea. A pellet gun is handy to have as well. If Animal Control won't do anything, then you need to file a complaint against that office.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

5150 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I take matters in my own hands... If it is in YOUR yard, then you HAVE the right to do whatever means neccessary to keep that dog from attacking you or your pet.
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Ratdog wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think Candy has the best idea, put up wire and no more dog he will smell it.
Then if that doesn't work shot the damn thing, seems owner doesn't care for the dog.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

03fxst wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would call the ACO once again, and ask him/her point blank, if you do not do anything about it (meaning the ACO), what happens to me if I do something about it? if they say that you are in the right to protect your dog, on your property, use a Louisville Slugger. 36 oz. to the bastards head should take care of the problem. Now, I do not condone cruelty to animals, but if it's my dog, or the other dog, my dog wins.

Don
03fxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

VROOM wants to know Dino or Syn?
Next time you see it in your yard. Shoot it!
Old 10-06-2003, 04:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Infidel

wyodude wants to know Dino or Syn?
In Virginia you can legally shoot any animal attacking your pet. Check the laws where you live, then smoke that fukker.

wuo
Old 10-06-2003, 04:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Habanero Kid wants to know Dino or Syn?
Shoot it!!!!! It may sound cold but shoot the fukker!!! Then you AND your dog can get a good night sleep. Here in Rottenchester they passed legislation that you can use deadly force to defend yourself from a "dangerous breed" dog.

"officer, it was heading right for me and my dog intercepted him. I shot the dog in self defense"
Habanero Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 04:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

ksims1868 wants to know Dino or Syn?
decided to edit for personal reasons

Last edited by ksims1868; 10-06-2003 at 08:55 PM.
ksims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 04:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Habanero Kid wants to know Dino or Syn?
Buy a can of pepper spray!!!! Blast him in the mug and the owner too while your at it. nasty stuff it is. it shoots about 10-15 feet. Get as close as you dare, obviously the closer the better, at aim for the eyes.
I'm sure it will stop a pet, I know it'll shut down a person in short order.
it irritates the mucus membranes of the eyes, nose, throat and lungs. It causes temporary swelling, blindness and difficulty breathing.

Last edited by Habanero Kid; 10-06-2003 at 04:19 PM.
Habanero Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement