Shoulder surgery : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Off Topic Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

bighitr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Shoulder surgery

Took a tumble awhile back and have 3 tendons torn and removed from the bone on my rotator cuff. Gonna get cut on...have heard so many different reports on the success of these operations. Anyone have this done, and how did it do? Any secrets that helped with the rehab?
bighitr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quite a few of the tanker drivers here have had rotator cuff surgery. We think it's from pulling drop hoses out of the transport tubes on the side of the trailers.

It's important to not try lifting anything during recovery. Keep your shoulder immobile even when you begin to feel good enough to lift because you'll re-tear the muscles and have to start all over again. DO NOT think you're healing quicker than the doctors think you are or should be. You're much better off taking a little extra time and letting it heal 100% before testing your strength.

Your doctor will tell you the same thing. Believe him.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Barnacle Bill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ditto on what Jammer said. Listen to the doctor and the physical therapist. I went through shoulder surgery about 5 years ago to have bone spurs removed. Thought I was smarter than the people at therapy, WRONG, messed my shoulder up.

Take your time.

For every civilization there comes a moment when a stand must be made against tyranny

The difference between courage and stupidity is measured only by success and survival.

We are not alone.
Barnacle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
had right rotator cuff surgery,just do what the doc says. when therapist wants to start you moving it listen to them you don't want to end up with a frozen shoulder.
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

thefour wants to know Dino or Syn?
Re: Shoulder surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighitr View Post
Took a tumble awhile back and have 3 tendons torn and removed from the bone on my rotator cuff. Gonna get cut on...have heard so many different reports on the success of these operations. Anyone have this done, and how did it do? Any secrets that helped with the rehab?
I have had this kind of surgery. Therapy is the key. My shoulder was repaired 20 years ago. No more dislocations, numbness, or tingles. It most likely will be done laproscopicly now. You will be fine.
thefour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

ezriderga wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've had rotator cuff repair (rcr) done on each of my shoulders so I'll just tell you my experience and hope it will help you in some way. In '01 I had a fall and ended up with a massive rotator cuff tear in right shoulder. Dr told me it was a tough repair and may not hold. He was right. After going through surgery and rehab with tremendous pain, the shoulder healed and within 3 years it tore again.

Well it is still torn but am not in a great deal of pain so I live with it as long as I can because it is torn so bad that it cannot be repaired again. The Dr said the only option now is a shoulder replacement and I wont do that until I have to.

In '05 I fell and tore the rotator cuff in my left shoulder. It wasn't torn as bad so they were able to repair it arthroscopically. Piece of cake compared to the first one with very little pain. I have since torn it again but they think they can repair it but will have to open it up this time.

I have been able to make it so far with cortisone shots and pain meds without having surgery again. The Dr says one can only have so many of these shots in a lifetime (I'm 62) so at some point I will have to have surgery.

I'm certainly not trying to cause you any undue stress or fear I'm just relating my story. I still ride and will as long as it doesn't cause a lot of pain in my shoulders. I wish you well in your decisions and your surgery if that's what you choose.
ezriderga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

HiAngle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I haven't had that particular operation but I did have major shoulder surgery (Bankhart repair with a capsular shift and repair to a torn labrum). Surgery is the easy part. Rehab is the hard part. I'll echo others who say to follow the therapist's advice. You'll have to figure out the difference between good and bad pain. You cannot work on your range of motion too much (once you're cleared for it). The last thing you want is for the scar tissue to set in and you permanently lose range of motion. Nor do you want it to reach a point where they have to perform another surgery, manipulation under anesthesia/ scar debridement, to break or clean out scar tissue.

The King puts the balls where the Queen wants them.
HiAngle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
I've had 3 on the left and 1 on the right.

The guy who was talking about retearing the muscle was wrong. Tendons aren't muscles, they attach muscle to bone. Ligaments attach bone to bone.

I completely severed my left rotator cuff tendon in a crash in '06. It just snapped when I bounced. It's now attached to my arm with a screw.

The two keys are the surgeon and the rehab. My 1st surgeon was a hack. 6 months after the 'repair' I still couldn't raise my arm in front of me. He said it just might not get any better. I asked around and found a competent surgeon. He went in once and cleaned up the hack's mess, then went in again and fixed things.

The right side started tearing because of having to do the work of both arms, I have a physical job. The 2nd surgeon fixed it, good as new. I didn't even have to see a therapist for it. I did my rehab at home, per the Dr's instructions.

Based on this sad story, I strongly reommend you do your research. Find a good Dr. Then do as he tells you. DO NOT shortcut your rehab.

My left side is functionally ok, but there are angles and geometries it can't do any more. And it's weak.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired TMCM(SS)

DoctorDee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Also depends on your age - I had Rotator cuff done at 59 yrs old and needed two anchors to reattach my biceps tendon. During the first 4 months of rehab I was convinced I would never be the same and would certainly never golf or ride a bike again. 2 years later I'm about 95% of what I was before the injury. Lot of pain, lot of rest, lot of rehab and you'll be OK down the road.
DoctorDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.