Happy Thanksgiving! : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Off Topic Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is still riding a stock bike DJW is still riding a stock bike
Happy Thanksgiving!

Nearly 400 years ago my Great (times many) grandfather celebrated a day of "thanks-giving" on the shores of the Atlantic in the Plymouth Colony. Only 56 of the original pilgrims still survived, but they still found it in them to thank God for their blessings.

Tomorrow we carry on that tradition...thanking God for our abundant blessings, for life, liberty, and of course...football.

Okay, so Gramps probably didn't know about the football thing but I'm sure he'd have approved.

George Washington continued the tradition in 1789, remembering all that had transpired since then end of a bloody 6-year long civil war that would eventually became a global war, for life liberty and football. (we didn't want to have to play that cheezy form of european football anymore either)

Quote:
By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor-- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be-- That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks--for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation--for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war--for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed--for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted--for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

and also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions-- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually--to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed--to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord--To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and us--and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

Go: Washington
God Bless America.
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
On the most universally celebrated American holiday, I wish all my V twin forum brothers and sisters a happy and healthy Thanksgiving. We have much to be thankful for.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
Happy Thanksgiving American friends ........
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

pcarrell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

pcarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired TMCM(SS)

DoctorDee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Very well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
On the most universally celebrated American holiday, I wish all my V twin forum brothers and sisters a happy and healthy Thanksgiving. We have much to be thankful for.
Blessings to you all.
DoctorDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
extant

OZNOG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nice post. Yes, our family still carries on the tradition.

We are descendants of Elder William Brewster, patriarch of the Pilgrims.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T-Day Ride.png
Views:	12
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	74930  
OZNOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

hdrider82 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I hope everyone has a happy thanksgiving and enjoys the long weekend. I hope you get a long weekend anyway. ENJOY!!!
Stuff
More stuff
hdrider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

rtwind wants to know Dino or Syn?
Happy Thanksgiving!

May this Thanksgiving bring happiness to you & your friends and family!
rtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Rickstar321 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Biker Bro's out there...

and to our troops who aren't able to be home this holiday!
  • 04 Custom built Stretched/Raked Daytec Frame, Stretched tank, Deuce front end, 21" Front tire, Evo 1340, S&S Shorty E, Supreme Legends Fwd Control, 2 1/2" Samson Pipes, Oil Cooler... (My Pretty Weekend Cruiser) + more!
    My Custom Thread
  • 04 Vstar 1100, lowered, Dragon's Breath pods, Cobra Dragsters, (Daily rider 90 mile round trip to work where it gets covered in slag dust!)
Rickstar321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Altered States

Waffen is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Remember to give to those who need and never forget the sacrifice of our military.

W
Waffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Barney Biker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Happy

Happy Thanksgiving to all and have a safe Holiday Season.

Barney
Barney Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Sua Sponte

RANGER73 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanks Giving: God Bless. That's it.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
that is plenty...happy thanksgiving
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Discovered in 1904 by the Germans it's German for whales vagina.
Gunny4Sawx is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I will give thanks to God for the blessings he has bestowed upon this nation. And watch football, go Pats!

There is no profit in Peace.
Gunny4Sawx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

juiced03 wants to know Dino or Syn?
May each of you be blessed with the horn of plenty!
I am thankful for so much the list doesn't end!
Thankful for a sofa after I pack my face like a cannon at mealtime!
Riding today too! Woohoo!!
juiced03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement