TOTAL ankle replacement - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Off Topic Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

scottq60 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yep (RKC), we've talked about this before. As long as you're happy with your fusion, that's all that matters. I told the doc that I want to be able to "walk normal" again without other joints having to compensate. That's why he suggested the replacement He said I should be able to walk as much as I want...just not run. He said fusion works best for distance runners, which I am not. Time will tell how this works out.

scottq60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Wow, I didn't know they did ankles. Congratulations and good luck.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Thanks Joe! Yeah...I'm chomping at the bit to be able to walk "pain-free" again. The doctor said he didn't know how I was able to walk on it at all...said the joint was "gone" and every nook/cranny was full of arthritis. Now I have a nice titanium appliance with polyurethane bushing to replace the destroyed cartilage. I cannot wait to be back to "normal".

Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Well, it's tough to beat titanium and polyurethane.

My left knee is on the path to replacement. I can understand your situation. I get artificial rooster comb shot into it, twice a year. Luckily, I guess, a knee doesn't have to move in as many directions as your ankle.

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba

Last edited by Homesick; 11-24-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

True...and they've been doing hips and knees about 3x as long as ankles. They believe it should last 15-20 years before requiring maintenance (replacing the poly). Time will tell.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

I knew about hips and knees. Ankles just seem much more fragile and more complex.

I'm sure you know this, but if you're still doing therapy- DO NOT shortcut it. More is more better.

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Gonna follow Doctor's orders to the letter

Old 11-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottq60 View Post
Gonna follow Doctor's orders to the letter
Party on then.

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Old 11-25-2012, 03:39 AM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

hijackak wants to know Dino or Syn?
I suffered a similar fate two and a half years ago. Distal tib/fib/talar comminution with sixteen fractures. I spent six months in a wheelchair; the first year on morphine. After a year, I got off the pain killers do I could go back to work. While today I can walk and ride, every step I take is painful.

I have talked to a few docs about ankle replacement, but they think @ 45, I am too young; most state the standard of care is fusion and that it will alleviate my pain. After a while, pain really takes it toll. I just cannot fathom having my ankle fused.

Did you have an option between the two procedures?
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1353836346252.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	74968

2011 FLHX 103
2002 FLSTF
2001 FXDL
hijackak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #25 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

I spoke with orthopedic surgeons from the University of Kentucky, Lexington VA and Premier Orthopedic in London, Ky. My options were:

1. pain management
2. pain management and bracing
3. fusion
4. joint replacement
5. amputation

I tried the first two without success.

After talking with the podiatrist/surgeon at Premier Orthopedic in London, Ky, I decided to bypass fusion and go straight to replacement. We discussed fusion and he said it's a good option for "marathon runners" or those who really pound the ankle. He said a prosthetic ankle wouldn't stand up to the abuse, but it would allow for natural movement/walking. THAT was my main goal...just to be able to walk normally without pain and to do other activities.

I have at least two friends who had theirs fused and they are NOT happy with the results. RKC IS happy with his fusion, and I'm glad. My joint was "gone" per the doctor...no remaining cartilage or space between the tallus and tibia, and full of arthritis. I believe (hope) I selected the right option for me. I'm 52. He said the life expectancy of the joint is 15-20 years and IF they have to go back in, it would be to replace the polyurethane "bushing". If this doesn't work out for me (I'm hopeful that it will), I will have my foot amputated just about the ankle joint and go with a prosthetic foot.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks for the info. From my consultation, I know that the Salto and the Star are not viable options with my "fixed" ankle anatomy; I was told to look into the InBone, but have had little luck in finding someone that put performs the procedure. Good luck on your recovery.

2011 FLHX 103
2002 FLSTF
2001 FXDL
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Thanks! Hope everything works out for you as well!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

Well, after some more consultation, I am once again prepping for surgery. On 1/15 I will be undergoing surgery for total ankle replacement with the Wright InBone. I am really looking forward to being pain free.

2011 FLHX 103
2002 FLSTF
2001 FXDL
Old 01-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #29 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

I'm praying for you. I can tell you from my experience that being pain-free again is AWESOME! I'm weight-bearing, but still with crutches for the next 2-4 weeks. I can stand still without them, and without pain, but the walking still needs some work.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

hogcowboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dang! I hope I don't have to go through that. January 24 will be a full year since I shattered my leg. 3 places, 4 plates and I lost count of screws at 35 or their about. I've been complaining about the pain now for 6 months and the doc just says to wait. But a full year and I'm still in pain??? I see him this week so will hear what he has to say then. I've even told him the last time I saw him to just cut the darn thing off! I'm getting sick and tired of the pain. Will see though.

hogcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.