Plasma TV - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Off Topic Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

machinist wants to know Dino or Syn?
have a samsung LED that I am happy with
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

vindex1963 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I realize it's too late, but I'd recommend LCD. They run cooler, no bulb to replace, and no screen burn-in. Maybe next time.

joe
It's not to late but have you priced a 51" LCD? I could buy three of these 51" plasma's for the price of one LCD.

We have plasma's at work that display company news and our job schedules, they run 24/7 and have done so for years. Both have never given a problem. One is Vizio and one Sony. That's 8760 hours a year for years.

I would like an LCD but not right now.

The plasma is a 500 series here is an LCD in a 500 series.

Please vote for Ride of the Month

Have a question about the site look here.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra

Last edited by vindex1963; 10-29-2012 at 09:54 PM.
vindex1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

pigrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Samsung's are good tv's but I'd opt for a lcd or led. Plasma's are ok if you're viewing from a distance but the closer you get the grainier the picture looks. Also if there are a lot of video games played they have a tendancy to burn into the screen.
pigrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
Premium Member

RK05 wants to know Dino or Syn?
We have a 50" Samsung Plasma that was a 2010 model and have had no issues (knock on wood). The only thing you may want to consider is if the room you are putting it in has a lot of natural light. You will get glare off the TV making it hard to watch unless you have some dark curtains.

Ours is actuary a 720 model and I can't tell that much difference unless I watch the same movie on Blue-ray some where else. When we get some extra money I plain on moving this TV into our basement and replacing it with a LCD/LED model.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
FNG :)

mad_scientist wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK05 View Post
We have a 50" Samsung Plasma that was a 2010 model and have had no issues (knock on wood). The only thing you may want to consider is if the room you are putting it in has a lot of natural light. You will get glare off the TV making it hard to watch unless you have some dark curtains.

Ours is actuary a 720 model and I can't tell that much difference unless I watch the same movie on Blue-ray some where else. When we get some extra money I plain on moving this TV into our basement and replacing it with a LCD/LED model.
^This. Since plasmas have a layer of glass over top of the screen they glare horribly.

But on the flip-side, if you have small children/the inclination to break things you can ruin an LCD screen pretty quickly. Just enough pressure on the screen will make dead pixels and the only way to fix it is to replace the whole screen
mad_scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

squidly wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you are going to watch bluray movies on it make sure it supports 1080P.

Samsung, LG and Panasonic Plasma screens are very nice, you can't rival their speed for sports or the depth of black on LCD or LED screens that cost three to four times as much.

They do use more power and they do get warmer than LCD or LED but it will take a long time for that electric bill to make up the difference in cost.
squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
I.A.T.S.E. Local 833

elPrez wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidly View Post

Samsung, LG and Panasonic Plasma screens are very nice, you can't rival their speed for sports or the depth of black on LCD or LED screens that cost three to four times as much.

They do use more power and they do get warmer than LCD or LED but it will take a long time for that electric bill to make up the difference in cost.
I have two 42" Panasonic Plasma sets and I love them. Had an LED LCD that I took back after 2 days because of the horrible motion blur.
elPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
Poser

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I've never understood why one would now spend more for an LCD than a plasma. Plasma has a better picture and has overcome all the earlier "fears" like screen burn in and reflection issues. I am partial to panasonic plasmas, but I am sure the samsungs are nice too.

Which ever you get, I am sure you will love.

rkc
Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
I.A.T.S.E. Local 833

elPrez wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King Cole View Post
I've never understood why one would now spend more for an LCD than a plasma. Plasma has a better picture and has overcome all the earlier "fears" like screen burn in and reflection issues. I am partial to panasonic plasmas, but I am sure the samsungs are nice too.

Which ever you get, I am sure you will love.

rkc
+1 and with the care and detail you take with photography I think plasma will give you results that you will be satisfied with.

I hope that made as much sense here as it did in my head as I typed it...
elPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #25 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this? Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidly View Post

There's no such thing as 'LCD or LED'. They're all LCD. LEDs are for backlighting on LCD TVs, and are an alternative to fluorescent backlights.

You guys talking about big prices differences need to look again. I just did '50" lcd tv' and '50" plasma tv' on Amazon. Top few hits were basically even for both.

Both have weaknesses and strengths. Both have been improved.

I sit 9 ft from a 55" Toshiba LCD TV, with LED backlighting. Great color and blacks, no motion blur. No burn-in, no heat, no bulb to replace.

joe
Dispenser and Guardian of Same

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #26 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

Bought the 51" Samsung plasma last night. Side by side the picture was outstanding compared to others. I'm happy and I had more than enough $$$ left over to buy a Wi-Fi Blu-Ray.

Yea the price is close on LED and plasma if you compare a high end plasma to a low end LED. Across the board features the LED is 3X the money I stood in front of them last night.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
Old 11-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

squidly wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
There's no such thing as 'LCD or LED'. They're all LCD. LEDs are for backlighting on LCD TVs, and are an alternative to fluorescent backlights.

You guys talking about big prices differences need to look again. I just did '50" lcd tv' and '50" plasma tv' on Amazon. Top few hits were basically even for both.

Both have weaknesses and strengths. Both have been improved.

I sit 9 ft from a 55" Toshiba LCD TV, with LED backlighting. Great color and blacks, no motion blur. No burn-in, no heat, no bulb to replace.

joe
I have to disagree with you here. I was just in Best Buy an hour ago, I know the tv's are not properly tuned in the store, most are running much to hot, colors and contrast are not properly set, but I could see that the $1500 60" LED 'backlit' screens had flaring and artifacts that were not apparent on the $999 panasonic 60" plasma right next to it.

I still prefer plasma for the money. Glad you like your LCD TV.
squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #28 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

The TV/DVD set up took about an hour the rest of the weekend was arranging the room around the TV. "WE" arranged it only to realize it doesn't work like this "WE" need to re-arrange it again and again. I'm wondering now why the old TV didn't work. "We" liked the the room before.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
Old 11-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this? Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this?
lol, Did 'we' have problems?

joe
Dispenser and Guardian of Same

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

jgc89 wants to know Dino or Syn?
i have a 51 inch plasma over a year 1080p and 16million aspect ratio and we love it it has all the stuff to stop burn in only 650 at best buy.
jgc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement