1966 gto - Page 4 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Non-Motorcycle Related Discussion > Off Topic Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #46 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
In my early teens the 'Big Three' were in the early muscle car/performance race. I lived about 1 mile away from Shepard Raceways in Calgary, and my friends and I spent many a Sunday watching the FX Dodge boys beat the crap out of the SS 409 Chevrolets, and just about every Ford - except an American car 'Bull Durham', a T-Bolt Fairlane.

The FX Dodge cars came from the factory with an altered wheelbase - shortened 9", and hardly noticable. Aluminum lift off trunk/hood, plexi-glass windows.....and a hemi/torqueflite combo. There were 500 of these cars made, just enough that they could classify as a regular production automobile.

Had the disturbing experience to witness the crash and death of Paul Linderman, a Dodge dealer from southern Alberta. Paul had one of these FX Dodge racers, a '64, and campaigned this car throughout western Canada.
Towards the end of the day, after eating most everything that ran, Paul was on the line with a 409 Biscayne.....the Chevy redlighted, and Paul put on a show like he always did. He went through the traps, we heard him decelerating, and then a loud bang/screech and through the dust we could see parts, and the car up in the air. My friends and I ran down to the end of the strip, as did alot of others...we were there before the ambulance got there. Dust everywhere.....car on its wheels, roof flattened to the door tops. We got out of the way of the ambulance crew....it was all over for Paul, a father of five.

At the end of his run, Paul had decelerated, and had pushed reverse instead of nuetral as he always did. The Torqueflite controls were push buttons on the left of the steering column. There was supposed to be a lockout that would not let the transmission be shifted after a few miles per hour - a safety feature. Paul's seatbelt had also pulled out of the floor.....I believe there was a lawsuit with Paul's widow and Cryco....Cars were just beginning to use cages then..

Apologize for the long post.....it just all came back.

Last edited by lucille; 02-26-2012 at 09:22 PM.
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #47 (permalink)
IronButt

ROGER4314 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The GTO's with tri power, 442's, 427's, 409's, 440 wedge, Hemis were all from an era that is long gone. You would have had to be there to really understand what it was all about. Pop songs were written about every one of those cars, we all committed the words to memory and heard the songs played a thousand times on the radio.

In Chicago where I grew up, we all worked at a pizza place and when we got off of work at about 1am, we went to "Skips" on North avenue to watch the races. They'd block off the entire street and run drag races down North Avenue! That went on for years! Smokes were 25 cents per pack and gas was 25 cents per gallon and we burned all of that fuel we could possibly get! Gas mileage wasn't even a passing thought.

So guys, when you see that GTO, it wasn't just a car. It represented an entire way of life. We ate, talked and dreamed GTO's, 442's, Hemis, Vettes, Ramchargers and all the rest. That car was every kids dream and to see that car in the OP brings back beautiful memories.

Thanks for sharing what must be a major thrill to own......a Pontiac GTO! That must be one step outside of heaven!

Flash

Lovin' the Harley Idle....potato, potato, potato!
ROGER4314 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #48 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ponderopa wants to know where he is and how he got here
The original 389 Tri-Power is long gone, but my 66 is still the real deal!

Last edited by ponderopa; 02-27-2012 at 02:01 AM.
ponderopa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #49 (permalink)
self banned

Road King Cole is still riding a stock bike Road King Cole is still riding a stock bike Road King Cole is still riding a stock bike
Bunch of nice pic's in this thread, brings back memories of in the early 70's a neighbor of mine had a white 64 goat convertible we used to blast around in. Just had to flip him a quarter or two for gas money...

rkc

2001 FLHR (carb) w 95" 26g cam and a head job.
2016 Ride of the Year Winner!
"enjoy every sandwich" - W Zevon
Road King Cole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #50 (permalink)
Seasoned and Baked

WideOne wants to know Dino or Syn?
D-Dog, That pic of the SS and the Pan is cool. Betcha ya wish ya had both back today!

WideOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #51 (permalink)
Banned

sublime is reading this now saying WTF is this?
That '56 Pan would sure be sweet to have now
sublime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #52 (permalink)
IronButt

jgc89 wants to know Dino or Syn?
72 dodge challenger with a hotrod 318 run very fast on top end 2011 challenger rt it will do 150.
jgc89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #53 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

rob71458 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a 65" GTO back in High School. Had it for 9 years. I built it up with a .030 over 400, Ported heads and Torker intake, cross drilled crank, 421SD rods, 800 Holley, 125hp shot of NOS, 4 spd, 4.33 gears. Just like my bike, It was never quick enough!
07' FLHRSE3 124", Paul Matyka ported SE110 heads, S&S pistons/cylinders,11.5 cr, 58/62 HPI TB, 640G's, Bandit clutch, Baker DD7, IDS, 2.79 gearing, Stock Compensator, D@D Borzilla QB, K&P oil filter, Jagg ten row oil cooler, Big Sky oil cooler fans, Lenale fan, Redline oils, TWR stabilizer, Glide Pro mount. Big Boyz Tune.
rob71458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #54 (permalink)
Just pidlin'

CHIPMAKER wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceDog View Post
Hey Jeffy, I think it's called a Boss Hoss.

Oh, the cars that I wish I still had:

I had a 64 Pontiac 2+2 Catalina. Most people didn't/don't know what that is/was. It was a 2 door from the factory with 389, tri-power, and 4 on the floor. I put a 3:90 rear in it, headers, cam, and-believe it or not, heads off the 421 Poncho. The car weighed 4200 lbs and was as long as a hearse. lol But it ran good! I raced that car in SoCal, Amarillo, and Englishtown (NJ) running C/MP.

I also had:
'63 Impala SS convertible. (can't find the pictures at the moment)
'66 Vette 427

'66 Vette LT1:

97 Grand Prix GTP:
Blower mods/trans kit/exhaust upgrades/headers

I also built a 72 240Z with a 350 Chevy/T400 trans. Drove that on the street for 7 years. Talk about a sleeper. BTW, that is a very easy install. No frame mods needed. The trans fits the stock tunnel. I used the stock console (original was a automatic) and even used the stock Corvette style rear end. I just had to use heavy duty u-joints and have drive shaft built. Believe it or not, the engine with one of those flat chrome air cleaners fit under the stock hood without modifications to the hood.

Almost forgot this one. (yes, that's my 56 Pan)
'69 Chevelle 396, 4 speed:

Sorry for the long post folks. Reminiscing got the better of me.
I had a '64 Catalina w/ the Ventura option, jerked the 389 out slipped a 455 with Turbo 400, it would boogie.

In any confrontation between knowledge and ignorance, ignorance has the edge,
because knowledge is limited, but ignorance is not......

just pidlin
CHIPMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #55 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

vindex1963 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Herman Munster dropped by also.

Please vote for Ride of the Month

Have a question about the site look here.

2015 Victory Cross Country
vindex1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #56 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels
Do y'all ever watch 'My Classic Car'? It has all these beauties, and more, from every possible type of cars. It's pre-empted quite a bit, but is on 8:30 Central, Sunday mornings.

joe
Inventor of the FXR Cult Secret Decoder Ring
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Missing Link Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #57 (permalink)
IronButt

Larbaldi wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime View Post
I bet you got a chance to see some really cool stuff! Nothing sounds quite like a finely tuned Hemi.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
"Sublime" ... You're right .... The Hemi requires a lot of TLC to keep it at peak performance output, but they damn sure can carry the mail ( and sound so sweeeeeet ) when they are on a "fresh tune"

2009 FLHTCU ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
1979 FXEF STROKER ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
BUSHTEC QUANTUM TRAILER ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
AMA MEMBER / ABATE MEMBER
Larbaldi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #58 (permalink)
IronButt

Tequila SG wants to know Dino or Syn?
When I attended HS I could not afford the cars I drooled over, so all I could do was get this monster hot rod for a $100.00, it was ugly but it ran good, and it was actually stolen, found by the PD 3 days later stripped.

By the way that is not my car is the only true representation of the one I had, in baby blue of course.

Tequila SG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #59 (permalink)
IronButt

werdna65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Worked in a shop and had alot of cars to test "drive", one of many was a 1966 GTO 389 Tri-Power 4speed Posi that the chevy dealer sales had, All I can say WOW. Another was a Grand National factory direct conection car, turned the corner S^&t canned it the turbo came on so fast I was sideways faster. All I have now is 1965 V-8 4sp mustang I've had since high school, 1976 L48 & 1980 L82 corvette, 1989 ford super coupe love them all over the newer cars
werdna65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #60 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels
I'm a Chevy guy, but back then my best bud had a '70 440 Magnum Challenger with the pistol grip 4 speed. Air shocks and the widest tires that'd fit (M 50s? I can't remember).

That was the runningest car I've ever been in. He could get it sideways in 3rd, easily.

joe
Inventor of the FXR Cult Secret Decoder Ring
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Missing Link Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.