Harley Davidson snowmobiles : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Off Topic Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Sulley wants to know Dino or Syn?
Harley Davidson snowmobiles

Anyone here collect vintage snowmobiles, i have been collecting, restoring, riding and selling vintage sleds for about 7 years, fun to ride the old ones, i have a 1974 Harley Davidson 398cc sled, had it out yesterday also my grandsons 1981 John Deere Spitfire, lets hear it if anyone has any old sleds, 1985 or older. Sulley

Shovelhead motor in this one, its not mine.

There are three kinds of poeple in this world, those who can count and those who cant. !!!

Last edited by Sulley; 12-19-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Sulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Big-G wants to know Dino or Syn?
I spent many years sledding. Been out of it for like 8 years. Got a guy down the road from me who collects mainly Arctic Cats. My last sled was a ZR700.

2009 Ultra 103
Big-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

hdmarsh77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a '71-'74(can't remember) yellow one that the previous owner of my house left in a barn. Can't recall who made it. Air cooled, no air filter(originally), two cylinder and pull start only(recoil missing). It's in ok shape, all plastic seems to be intact. There's a little glove/tool box on the asssend and pop-up headlight.

I was told there is a guy somewhere near me that has thousands of old sleds and parts so I may be able to get this thing going again. With as much snow as we've been getting I may get a lot of use out of it.

I'll see if I can get into the barn to get some shots but it might be snowed in for now.

"I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane." WJ

hdmarsh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Doing some picture searching and found it's a Ski-Doo, something like this.

or this

or one of these

Old 12-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

machinist wants to know Dino or Syn?
thats a good lookin shovel....
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Evil Clown

luvstoride is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmarsh77 View Post
I have a '71-'74(can't remember) yellow one that the previous owner of my house left in a barn. Can't recall who made it.
Sounds like a Ski-Doo to me.(Oop's, you beat me to it) The pic of the HD sled by the OP really brought back some memories for me. Never had an HD, but had an Artic Cat Puma. I think it was a late 70's or very early 80's model. 340 cc's if I remember correctly. Father-in-law was running an Artic Cat Panther with a Wankel engine in it. Mother-in-law was running a Massey. We had many awesome trips through the northwoods of Wisconsin. The Nicolet (sp?) National forest in NE Wisconsin had hundreds of miles of trails. Running bar to bar, we would put on quite a few miles in a weekend.

Soon after that, the sleds started to become crazy fast, and I lost interest. I was more for putting around in the woods and watching the wildlife. That was the only thing I really liked about Wisconsin. Moved to NC 23 years ago, and have not seen a snowmobile since I've been here.
Helmets: Let those who ride decide.

Last edited by luvstoride; 12-19-2010 at 06:40 PM.
luvstoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

bagga wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmarsh77 View Post
I have a '71-'74(can't remember) yellow one that the previous owner of my house left in a barn. Can't recall who made it. Air cooled, no air filter(originally), two cylinder and pull start only(recoil missing). It's in ok shape, all plastic seems to be intact. There's a little glove/tool box on the asssend and pop-up headlight.

I was told there is a guy somewhere near me that has thousands of old sleds and parts so I may be able to get this thing going again. With as much snow as we've been getting I may get a lot of use out of it.

I'll see if I can get into the barn to get some shots but it might be snowed in for now.
green bay has a snowmobile salvage yard. i don't know if they would have anything that old but i know they have lots of sleds sitting in their yard. i think it's called "central snowmobile salvage". snowmobiles don't need air filters because there isn't any dust flying around when you're in the snow. snow blowers don't have them either.

Last edited by bagga; 12-19-2010 at 05:52 PM.
bagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagga View Post
green bay has a snowmobile salvage yard. i don't know if they would have anything that old but i know they have lots of sleds sitting in their yard. i think it's called "central snowmobile salvage". snowmobiles don't need air filters because there isn't any dust flying around when you're in the snow. snow blowers don't have them either.
Good to know, thanks much!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstoride View Post
Sounds like a Ski-Doo to me.(Oop's, you beat me to it) The pic of the HD sled by the OP really brought back some memories for me. Never had an HD, but had an Artic Cat Puma. I think it was a late 70's or very early 80's model. 340 cc's if I remember correctly. Father-in-law was running an Artic Cat Panther with a Wankel engine in it. Mother-in-law was running a Massey. We had many awesome trips through the northwoods of Wisconsin. The Nicolet (sp?) National forest in NE Wisconsin had hundreds of miles of trails. Running bar to bar, we would put on quite a few miles in a weekend.

Soon after that, the sleds started to become crazy fast, and I lost interest. I was more for putting around in the woods and watching the wildlife. That was the only thing I really liked about Wisconsin. Moved to NC 23 years ago, and have not seen a snowmobile since I've been here.

I have a 72 Arctic Cat Panther 303 Wankel with a Cat Cutter, Wankels are cool, i have had or do have a few of them.. Sulley

1973 Skiroule RTW300 Wankel

I just finished restoring this 1968 Skiroule 300w

There are three kinds of poeple in this world, those who can count and those who cant. !!!

Last edited by Sulley; 12-30-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

These are two of my favorite sleds that i restored and have sence sold, the black one is a 1972 Arctic Cat EXT340mod and the green one is a 1972 Skiroule RTX340rx, i raced one just like it in 1973. Sulley

Old 12-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

This is a really neat thread. I love old equipment that still runs, no matter what it is.

Sulley, that 1972 Skiroule you have is sharp. Looks fast and agile.

After seeing all of these and with all the snow we have, I wish I had started fixing up mine already.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

Decided to crawl through the snow drifts to get to the barn and take a few pics. Registration says it's a '72.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg
Views:	1547
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	61993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.jpg
Views:	1559
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	61994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG
Views:	1575
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	61995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	1549
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	61996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.JPG
Views:	1621
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	61997  

Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Wow thats in really good shape, get it goin, what the hell its cheap fun, if you dont want it there are a lot of people that collect Ski-Doos. Sulley

Old 12-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

bagga wants to know Dino or Syn?
go get some starting fluid spray it in the carb and see if it runs. a big problem with the old snowmobiles is, the carbs have diaphragms that get holes in them. the pistons going up and down make the diaphragms in the carb move and that is what pumps the fuel into the carb. if they're ripped the fuel won't pump. no pumpy no runny. i had an old skidoo and i went to "central snowmobile" for new diaphragms.
bagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Started out as kids on an old 493 Boa Ski Cobra, had an uncle that was a dealer. Moved up to the Cat Puma models, then the Jags. Since then I started working outdoors for a living (logging) the last thing I wan't to do is get back out in the snow. Totally lost interest.
If you wan't to see some great vintage sleds take a trip to Eagle River WI for the vintage oval track races. We have a few locals here that race there every year and we also have a guy with a pretty extensive collection of vintage parts sleds.
BTW, the sleds you guys have restored look great!!! Do those old Wankels backfire after you shut them off?
Anyone remember the old Rupp Nitro's, very fast in their day.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.

Last edited by BVBOB; 12-20-2010 at 04:29 PM.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement