What's an index finger worth? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Off Topic Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

03GLIDE_ wants to know Dino or Syn?
What's an index finger worth?

I am wondering if any of you know what the loss of use is worth for an index finger. While at work I had my hand smashed and lost the use of my left index finger. They are now offering me a settlement and Im not sure what they are offering is the right amount. Is there a source for this kind of info? Do any of you work in the workers comp insurance industry?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

hdmarsh77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Depends on what you used to do with that finger.

"I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane." WJ

hdmarsh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Fred1369 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
are you right or left handed? whose fault was it? you can still stir your coffee with your thumb.
Fred1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Have you contacted a personal injury lawyer?? I would before I took a settlement.

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Moneygreen

arealinvestor wants to know where he is and how he got here
Your insurance can tell you they track these kind of things!!!!Most car insurance companies have that type of information!!!!Go through your agent he can get it for you informally!!!!

2010 Ultra Classic Hot Rod Built & Tuned by JD's
BB & Baisley Hybrid Heads with man/Comp releases
Axtell Pistons & Cylinders set with high comp,Big CCP
Darkhorse Stroker Crank,balanced,plugged & welded
Woods A/C kit & Lifters
T-Man gear crank set
High Flow HPI Inj & BB TBW Throttle body
D&D Boarzilla (perforated baffle)
Lenale cooling fan
Jagg 10 row oil cooler
K&P engineering oil filter
To much more to list!!!!!!
arealinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
EvilMonger

Thealien is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Many insurance companies have a set value for loss of use of finger/hand/foot/eye etc.

That being said it all depend was this a workers comp case? Third party responsible? Negligence on someone part?

Do not sign or talk to anyone until you have talked to an attorney. Talking to one does not mean he represents you. You can get the opinions of many lawyers and go with who you feel most comfortable with or if you feel after talking with an attorney you feel they are offering you a decent settlement you can go it alone. I would definately talk to someone other than us bunch of internet brainiacs!!
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

arctic_mp7 wants to know Dino or Syn?
go talk to an attorney and see what they say before you give away your right to what is due you.

2011 Sedona Orange FLHX 103 stage II

Ultima 200 Rigid
DNA Springer
EVO motor, EV 46 cam, little bit of headwork and
42 Mikuni
Ultima 6 speed
2" belt drive

Retired Soldier (28 years of work), Now a Full time Technician (30 years & a lifetime of passion) (I am now growing my hair long)
arctic_mp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

machinist wants to know Dino or Syn?
This is one of those tough ones. Settlements often come in low. Talking to an attorney is going to cost you at least 30%. Most likely you will come out ahead with the attorney. I can tell you that a damaged nerve over an eyelid and 2' of intestine is worth $95,000 - 30%.
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Iron Butt

DAKSY wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well, I lost the tip of my right ring finger & dislocated the tip of my "Bird" finger in an industrial accident in 1982...
OWCP determined that I lost 15% of the use of my right hand
(I'm right-handed) & that was worth $9482 & change back then...
& I'm pretty sure the amount was calulated on my actual pay rate at the time (whatever THAT was)
You'll hafta figger inflation into the equation & the percentage of loss of usage to come up with an accurate number for your settlement, unless you've got a lawyer who specializes in lost time accident cases...
Good luck!

14 Limited Charcoal Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
PGR # 492
PGRNY-5 Ride Captain

DAKSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GLIDE View Post
I am wondering if any of you know what the loss of use is worth for an index finger. While at work I had my hand smashed and lost the use of my left index finger. They are now offering me a settlement and Im not sure what they are offering is the right amount. Is there a source for this kind of info? Do any of you work in the workers comp insurance industry?
Total loss is 35 weeks of pay.
You should do as others have said get a attorney.
I feel for you as I am going threw the same.I severed my little finger in a accident last week.there is a set rate for losses.but in your case since you didn't lose the finger but have loss of use it will be a battle to prove your loss. The work comp people always offer the low end in cases where there are percentages involved. If you have received weekly payments while you were off work with your injury then multiply that sum by 35 and see if that is what they offered. Good luck and find a attorney that you are comfortable with.
EDIT: I was wrong your weekly check was 70% of your weekly average. sorry i thought of this after I posted . so add 30% to the weeky check you received and multiply by 35 weeks.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Last edited by strokerjlk; 02-10-2009 at 08:29 PM.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

03GLIDE_ wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the responses guys. For the curious they offered me $14,500 but mentioned something about permanent disability payments. They told me this over the phone today and I had a bad connection. I will get the full offer in the mail soon. I didn't miss any work. My company was great through the whole thing and let me show up and do pretty much nothing for a week or so. The workers comp company I am dealing with is no longer the insurer of my company. I really don't want to hire a lawyer and was hoping to put this behind me. I am just looking to get a better idea of what I should have coming to me.
What happened was my coworker lowered the forks of a 30,000 lb forklift down on my hand. Not entirely his fault as he couldn't see me or what I was doing. I was stupid having my hand where it should not have been.

Last edited by 03GLIDE_; 02-10-2009 at 09:50 PM.
03GLIDE_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GLIDE View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. For the curious they offered me $14,500 but mentioned something about permanent disability payments. They told me this over the phone today and I had a bad connection. I will get the full offer in the mail soon. I didn't miss any work. My company was great through the whole thing and let me show up and do pretty much nothing for a week or so. The workers comp company I am dealing with is no longer the insurer of my company. I really don't want to hire a lawyer and was hoping to put this behind me. I am just looking to get a better idea of what I should have coming to me.
What happened was my coworker lowered the forks of a 30,000 lb forklift down on my hand. Not entirely his fault as he couldn't see me or what I was doing. I was stupid having my hand where it should not have been.
dont get caught up in the... my fault...not his fault....I was stupid etc it is not decided on fault it is a compensation for your loss. not a degree of blame.
good luck
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Just pidlin'

CHIPMAKER wants to know Dino or Syn?
tip

Give the Safety Director where you work a good tip, because he will catch heck from OSHA, I used to be a safety director where I worked

In any confrontation between knowledge and ignorance, ignorance has the edge,
because knowledge is limited, but ignorance is not......

just pidlin
CHIPMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPMAKER View Post
Give the Safety Director where you work a good tip, because he will catch heck from OSHA, I used to be a safety director where I worked
????????????????
so your a crook?
what kind of advice is this?
I am glad you said used to be!
If you got kick backs from injured workers you are as they say... part of the problem!
SE 218
DR 218

Old 02-10-2009, 11:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
Unless there is more wrong with you than that, i doubt very much that you will be able to get permenent disability here. You may get some state disability payments, or a 20% (or so)disability rating(which could bump up the payment).

Believe me, even though many people think that you will be set for life now, it is much different than that. You get a stipend while you are off of work. if your lawyer gets you retraining, he gets a portion of you weekly amount as you go to school. They may help you find a job, but be sure it is a "real" job, one with an employer/employee relationship. They wanted me to take a consulting job, but wanted to pay peanuts and then 1099 you. You have no benefits then..

You would be going into a new career. They wanted security guards, and really wanted me to go to that class. I fought and I got into a good class that incorporated my high school drafting and math. I was injured in 81, and it was 96 before i was making the same money, I hurt my back in a car accident and then fell an shatterred my leg in 98, i got total disability, because of the sum of my injuries, but many still do not. It was very hard to start all over again and the employer knows that you feel like you aren't wanted elsewhere because of the disability.

It can take 5 years to win it and sometimes, the judge will only grant it if you forego any back money.

It will truely test your marraige, over and over.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement