V-Twin Forum banner

Seriously considering

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Road King Cole 
#1 ·
Hi, long time rider, never owned a HD but I'm considering a Road King. I've been riding since I was 4 years old, yes seriously, my old man had a Suzuki and Norton dealership in the late 60‘s till the late 70‘s. When he wanted to keep me busy he decided to put training wheels on a Fenachino minibike and turned me loose. On the road I have owned a cross section of everything from UJM to full on sport bikes. My last ride was an 1150GS BMW. I've decided to get one more ride to take me to the far places I still want to see in the US and happened to bump into a friend of mine selling an 01 Road King that is in good shape. I've ridden Harleys before and always thought they were pretty good for commuting and the baggers are great for touring. For years I was not willing to pay the inflated prices when Harley became a preferred fashion accessory. But prices are less inflated now and like the Beemer I had, if you get the right deal the cost of ownership can be pretty reasonable. Looking forward to trying the "Harley" experience. Already been looking around on the forum and can see there is a lot of good people and information.

JT

#2 ·
Welcome and good luck with your decision. Road King is a great bike but in my opinion it's quite a bit different than a BMW. It has more Character but not German Fit and Finish.

I would take a RK over a BMW any day.

Good luck and ride safe

#13 · (Edited)
Welcome and good luck with your decision. Road King is a great bike but in my opinion it's quite a bit different than a BMW. It has more Character but not German Fit and Finish.

I would take a RK over a BMW any day.
I recently sold my Road King and bought a BMW 1200RT. I miss the sound and feel of the Harley (and the never-ending compliments) but the performance, smoothness, engineering and technology in the Beemer, well there is there is no comparison. It will outrun, outbrake, outmaneuver the Road King (or any Harley) by lightyears.

Still, I love Harleys and am keeping my eyes open for used Super Glide or Fat Bob as a second bike.

#3 ·
Welcome from Michigan. Enjoy the Road King,if that's the way you go.

#5 ·
I say go for it.
I always rode the smaller bikes like softails and dynas, but when I finally tried a bagger it really surprised me. Very comfortable, and surprisingly good handling.
Wish I would have tried one years ago.
Good luck with your decision

#9 ·
Thanks everybody, I know the RK is supposed to be a great ride. I hope to go look at it this weekend. Checked with the local dealer on getting the tensioners checked and or replaced. They immediately put me on the hydraulic upgrade and new cams.... Anyone know a good independent in upstate SC. I want to just ride, not see how much Harley tax I can pay. Still really leaning to the 01 RK though. Maybe just do it myself. Damn I need a garage! ����

#11 ·
Beautiful bike! I've always liked the RK best of all the HD lineup. I'm not a chopper guy, just not my thing. I really go for that classic look. The one I'm considering is a really interesting customization. I'll have to get a pic online now so I can post it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.