Bagged a 1983 FXRT! : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > My Story, the Beginning...
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Missippi Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bagged a 1983 FXRT!

Hello out there. I just brought home a 1983 FXRT for $5200.00, and two shotguns. It has 28,000 miles, cranks, runs and rides fair. It is dirty and in need of lots of elbow grease, but complete with fairing, saddlebags, tour pak, the optional guages and radio. It also has a fairly new S&S carb and drag pipes. I had a 1970 FLH back in the mid '70s and had some problems, but had some good times too. The rear brake is shot. Any suggestions for an upgrade that won't break the bank? The front forks feel mighty loose, and probably need seals, boots, etc. The bike is black with gold pinstripes, and has been dropped and is scratched on the left bag and fairing, but not bad. No crashbars. I have a 2006 Electraglide Standard too. 24,000 miles, no problems. Haven't changed the cam drive yet. I also have a 1988 ElectraGlide Classic with 56,000 miles. It had a rod knocking, so I sent the engine to Harley for reman. I am in the process of reinstalling it. I may sell the '06 if I like the Evo, and keep it and the Shovel. I'm not bragging, just telling what's in the garage. Lots to do yet. Hello to all.
Missippi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

SAFXDL is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Howdy.....welcome....from Columbus MS

Proud Parent of a Son serving his country

'08 FLHPI, 103, SERT, Fatcat 2/1 Black, Reckless Fairing w/tunes.

SAFXDL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

dmetcalf wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a 1984-1/2 FXRT and I have wished many times I still had it. It had one of the first EVO (Blockhead) engines.
dmetcalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this? Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Welcome from a hard core FXRT freak. Mine's a 93. We have a great FXR section here, dive in.

We need pictures. Get 'em up before Michael catches up with you.

joe
Dispenser and Guardian of Same

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

FXRS84 wants to know Dino or Syn?
sounds like a nice find, I dont know what 2 shotguns are worth.. But other than that, sounds fair enough. You could get the brakes straightened out, maybe get some EBC or Lyndall pads, an ya should be ok.. There will be plenty of places to spend some cash on the new machine in the garage. Good Luck with her.
FXRS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
We need pictures. Get 'em up before Michael catches up with you.

joe
Like Joe said, we want pics! And welcome to the forum. Lots of extremely knowledgeable and passionate fxr guys here.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

yogin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sounds like a good platform to build an awesome bike! I bought an 85 FXRS 2 years ago and turned it into a full on FXRT. Looks like you got the jump on me with that . Take the time to go over it thoroughly and get the bugs out. Winter is a good time for wrenching so that when spring comes around you will be ready.
yogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missippi Rider View Post
Hello out there. I just brought home a 1983 FXRT for $5200.00, and two shotguns. It has 28,000 miles, cranks, runs and rides fair. It is dirty and in need of lots of elbow grease, but complete with fairing, saddlebags, tour pak, the optional guages and radio. It also has a fairly new S&S carb and drag pipes. I had a 1970 FLH back in the mid '70s and had some problems, but had some good times too. The rear brake is shot. Any suggestions for an upgrade that won't break the bank? The front forks feel mighty loose, and probably need seals, boots, etc. The bike is black with gold pinstripes, and has been dropped and is scratched on the left bag and fairing, but not bad. No crashbars. I have a 2006 Electraglide Standard too. 24,000 miles, no problems. Haven't changed the cam drive yet. I also have a 1988 ElectraGlide Classic with 56,000 miles. It had a rod knocking, so I sent the engine to Harley for reman. I am in the process of reinstalling it. I may sell the '06 if I like the Evo, and keep it and the Shovel. I'm not bragging, just telling what's in the garage. Lots to do yet. Hello to all.
I love my 83 FXRT. Put a stock rear brake on it from Ebay if you can. The frontend was junk when it was new from the factory, any later model 39mm front end is night and day differences. Search for FXRT Build to see details of this upgrade.

Does it still have the enclosed chain drive? If so that is a great system once it is understood and if it is still in good condition.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

rojoak wants to know Dino or Syn?
Congrats on the find! I just found an 84 FXRT 4 months ago. It is in pretty good shape, rode it from Minneapolis to Seattle, and then shipped it home to Alaska. It is my winter project. Mine has chain drive, but original swing arm and wheel changed out with some thing older, and all of the enclosed chain parts are gone except the housing at the drive sprocket. It has been fun, finding what is original, what is not, what is available, and what I can afford! The FXRT is a sweet ride!
rojoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Swamprat Rider

JayFL459 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Congrats on the find and Welcome ..
Old 12-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

hdruss wants to know Dino or Syn?
Welcome - I own a "83 FXRT also.

Take Michaels advise and visit the FXR Forum often. You'll learn a lot from very knowledgeable guys.

Post pictures when you can.

Russ
hdruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Missippi Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
More on the 1983 FXRT

Hello again, I'm living in a camper for several months, a 25' 1990 Airstream, with no land phone or internet yet. Will build a house soon. The 1983 FXRT still has the enclosed chain. I have it hid at the moment in my son's storage shed. I have to sell something before bringing it home. My ol' lady is already unhappy with 2 Harleys, so as soon as I can take photos as it was at purchase, then give it a clean-up, I will post some pictures. The guy that owned it didn't mind having dirt on anything, but it will be nice soon. Most riders in my area of Mississippi have newer rides. One friend has his Dad's old '84 Tour Glide with 100,000 plus miles on the original drive train, and another still has his '73 Super Glide and another has a '77 Super Glide with about 13,000 miles. He hardly ever rides, but won't let it go. Thanks for the nice welcome.
Missippi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement