Me and my Pan - Page 23 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > My Story, the Beginning...
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #331 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Crash,Love reading this thread I just discovered this morning.Thanks for all you did back then.I live down the road from ya a ways,but reading this makes me want to take a ride up to eureka just to shake your hand.

You really should consider writing a book.this has been some of the best reading I have ever seen.

2002 Superglide
2012 Road glide Ultra T-header,T-max,Tuned Induction
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #332 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
this is a must read! brings back alot of memories!
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #333 (permalink)
FNG :)

bh747 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Howdy

Howdy folks. I'm a newbie here. Living now in South Texas, lots of ridin' time, no snow and ice to shovel. Thanks in advance for any future advice shared.
Cheers, Bill aka bh747
bh747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #334 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Chief Davis57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamel View Post
Crashpan,

You and I are from 2 different era's of the military, I stepped into the recruiters office just out of high school, and walked into the first gulf war 6 months later. Sitting here reading your story took me back to that first day, and I cannot say I was able to ride, but the yearning was there. I spent a lot of time wrenching and playing with the cars, just had too much going on to ever really get on a bike.

I did my 20 in the Air Force, and was given the opportunity to travel the world. I have seen a few combat areas, but never been in the true danger you, or some of my brothers and sisters in arms have. But I do find the same yearning you do, to just get out and clear your head some days.

I lost everything when I retired, house, cars, wife etc. Nothing clicked right anymore. Until I hopped on a bike and rode. The freedom does give you an opportunity to clear your mind, and free yourself from those around you, the connection to the road is far different when you are being propelled with nothing around you but nature.

I just wanted to stop in and say thank you for taking the time to write this, as it has lifted another spirit.

I await the ride, as I am currently in Iraq, doing a contracting job, as I just could not let go of the travel. The money is better, and there was no better feeling than paying cash last week for a 08 105th electraglide.

Ride hard, ride proud, and keep it pointed in the right direction.

Sean
Are you still in country? Look me up if you pass thru AJ...
Chief Davis57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #335 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

crasha51pan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Looks like we made it through what was to be "the end of time", Christmas, and New Years (although New Years was kind'a "if'y for me, if I remember right). Am now look'n forward to Spring, and rememberin' back to rides taken last year, thats what I want to write about now. Every trip seems to have "one thing" that sticks in your mind, maybe a big event or maybe something small that just "stuck" with ya. This was a small event, but it defined my Sturgis trip...

We spent the night in a motel in Custer, South Dakota, preparing for the start of our return trip. We got up early, trying to put miles on with the sun at our back. We had 600 miles to go to reach Butte, Mt.. We settled in, I'm just listenin' to the thump of that V-Twin, the temps were good but that started to change when we approached Billings. We were now look'n at tripple digits and I was let'n my mind wander, just try'n to forget about the heat, we still had 230 miles to go and the sun was now "in my face". I was watchin' my mirror when I noticed a single headlight way back off in the distance, it seemed to be gainin' fast. At a point maybe 150 yards back, the bike just seemed to trail us, not gaining any ground, I watched more intent now. This went on for some miles, then the bike moved over to the left lane and started to approach. I expected the rider to blow on by, but he didn't. He drew even with me and I looked over. It was a crotch rocket, the rider wore military boots, a set of camo utilities, a bright orange safety vest, and a full face helmet (clearly military). I couldn't see his face, he kept pace with me, and then he looked in my direction. Then he did something unexpected, he shifted his position, almost now sit'n side saddle. He sat erect and snapped off the sharpest salute I had seen since boot camp. Again he prepostioned himself so he was now facin' forward, grabbed a handfull of throttle and was gone. In very short time, he was just a dot on the horizon, the wife tapped me on my shoulder and I nodded, even smiled a little. I thought to myself that maybe I would run into that rider somewhere down the road, maybe get'n gas, maybe get'n something to eat, but I didn't, never seen him again. Over the years, I have seen parades for the Vietnam Vet, things like that, but I always felt "too little, too late", and even those things are becoming fewer and farther apart now a day's, but that's OK, it's all about these younger Vets who now carry the torch (and it should be). But that one instance, that little jesture, a show of respect on Interstate 90, in a hun'ert degree heat, made the next 230 miles much easier to bare. It's the memory I filed away for Sturgis 2012, and remember this mornin' (with a smile on my face).....

VOVMC NOMAD
www.vovmc.com
crasha51pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #336 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Chief Davis57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wonder how he knew...
Chief Davis57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #337 (permalink)

HarleymanMike wants to know Dino or Syn?
The good ole days well described!

Hello, and Thank You, Crasha51pan not only for your service to our great nation at a time when it was shall we say, "not so popular" to do so but also for one of the best reads I have seen in years! I hope this note finds you and yours in good health, great prosperity, and in no pain! (I am all too aware of the taste of asphalt)
I began reading this post because of your nickname and your pics. I too once owned a pan...48 pan chopper and it looked amazingly alot like yours, thus the interest. I was in high school, in 1976, when I bought that bike. I weighed a whole 175lb and that darned thing kicked me off of it more times than I care to remember. Combat boots came highly recommended. I dont know what possessed me to buy the bike, other than the price was definitely right. (I also owned a couple Japanese bikes at the time) It wasn't raked properly and was a little difficult to ride until you got used to it. I have been riding motorcycles since I was in 3rd grade, so I can relate to your story. I read your post from beginning to end, without stopping. If I didn't know better, I would have thought you to be a big movie writer...I mean, WHAT A LIFE you have lived!! I found it refreshing, uplifting, comical, and inspirational...and for this I thank you for causing me to lose last nights sleep. I could not step away. May you have many, many more years of safe, enjoyable riding! If you ever think you will be passing through Omaha, please contact me. I would lke to shake your hand, and show you around, and if you need a place to rest, you got it! Ride Free brother!

HarleymanMike
Proud member of the Patriot Guard
2012FLHX103-stock
1999Sporty-"well built"

"My hair's turnin' white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue...You could say, "We've always been Red, White, and Blue""
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0723081736a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	76019  

Last edited by HarleymanMike; 01-29-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: wnat to repost a pic
HarleymanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #338 (permalink)

Don.B wants to know Dino or Syn?
First Harley

Got my first Harley it's a Fatboy Lo, last year in Feb and road it home with the snow flakes flying. Now I'm starting to add pipes, bag's and need a better seat.
Don.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #339 (permalink)

Burntfox wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up

Just finished reading this thread after joining the forum.

First let me say thank you to all of the Service Members.

My father missed Vietnam by two weeks, he was stationed in Hawaii with the Golden Dragons, Army Combat Engineers. He lost a lot of friends to that war. I personally feel that America needs to officially chastise the folks that were part of the Hanoi Jane movement. My late brother was a Coastie then a Marine for a combined total of 8+ yrs military service. Combine that with me being a 3rd gen Harley rider and your stories resonate with me. Much needed inspiration to get my brothers old '78 FXS back up and running as a tribute / legacy bike.

Thank you and "Keep her in the Wind!"

Last edited by Burntfox; 02-06-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Burntfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #340 (permalink)

47nuk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your story

[QUOTE=crasha51pan;2210919]Looks like we made it through what was to be "the end of time", Christmas, and New Years (although New Years was kind'a "if'y for me, if I remember right). Am now look'n forward to Spring, and rememberin' back to rides taken last year, thats what I want to write about now. Every trip seems to have "one thing" that sticks in your mind, maybe a big event or maybe something small that just "stuck" with ya. This was a small event, but it defined my Sturgis trip...

We spent the night in a motel in Custer, South Dakota, preparing for the start of our return trip. We got up early, trying to put miles on with the sun at our back. We had 600 miles to go to reach Butte, Mt.. We settled in, I'm just listenin' to the thump of that V-Twin, the temps were good but that started to change when we approached Billings. We were now look'n at tripple digits and I was let'n my mind wander, just try'n to forget about the heat, we still had 230 miles to go and the sun was now "in my face". I was watchin' my mirror when I noticed a single headlight way back off in the distance, it seemed to be gainin' fast. At a point maybe 150 yards back, the bike just seemed to trail us, not gaining any ground, I watched more intent now. This went on for some miles, then the bike moved over to the left lane and started to approach. I expected the rider to blow on by, but he didn't. He drew even with me and I looked over. It was a crotch rocket, the rider wore military boots, a set of camo utilities, a bright orange safety vest, and a full face helmet (clearly military). I couldn't see his face, he kept pace with me, and then he looked in my direction. Then he did something unexpected, he shifted his position, almost now sit'n side saddle. He sat erect and snapped off the sharpest salute I had seen since boot camp. Again he prepostioned himself so he was now facin' forward, grabbed a handfull of throttle and was gone. In very short time, he was just a dot on the horizon, the wife tapped me on my shoulder and I nodded, even smiled a little. I thought to myself that maybe I would run into that rider somewhere down the road, maybe get'n gas, maybe get'n something to eat, but I didn't, never seen him again. Over the years, I have seen parades for the Vietnam Vet, things like that, but I always felt "too little, too late", and even those things are becoming fewer and farther apart now a day's, but that's OK, it's all about these younger Vets who now carry the torch (and it should be). But that one instance, that little jesture, a show of respect on Interstate 90, in a hun'ert degree heat, made the next 230 miles much easier to bare. It's the memory I filed away for Sturgis 2012, and remember this mornin' (with a smile on my face).....

I have been reading your story for over an hour and it has brought back memories of the "60's and "70's! I too have an old rigid Harley,I bought my "47 Nuk in 1971 for $500, my friends thought I was nuts, I could have bought a new Sportster for about $1300 back then. I'm happy to say that as of this March I've owned that old Knucklehead for 42 years!
Had a few other bikes too but no matter how broke or dismal my future seemed I'm keepin' my old Nuk! aka Fez
47nuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #341 (permalink)

Rooster47 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Viet Nam era vet 1970-1974. Assigned to 3rd Marine Division and they had rotated out in 69 so I always figured some other Devil Dog came home in a bag in my place. Buddy in the Corps had a black Sportster and from that day on I had that in the back of my mind. Raced dirt bikes as an amateur in my glory days and rode a street bike 250 BSA back and forth to college. Always hoped I'd some day have a Harley. Finally after working my ass off bought a 2012 Fatboy. Still working so not a lot of time to ride but feels so good when I do. She's parked near my office in an enclosed space next to my workshop. Hoping to retire and put some serious miles on it though I'm told I'll probably trade it for a bagger some day soon.
Rooster47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #342 (permalink)

FLHXSFUN wants to know Dino or Syn?
Crash, I feel like I know you from your story. Congrats on a life well lived. Ride Safe!
1980 XS650 Project
FLHXSFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #343 (permalink)

bfc.shrubs wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nice forum.
bfc.shrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #344 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

acemang wants to know Dino or Syn?
Crash,
I have alot of pictures from the places that you have talked about from my dad. Its almost like hearing him talk. He was over there from 66-68'. Came back and felt $hit upon by alot of people he had called friends and felt lost. But he always told me that once he sat on his knuckle, it was like the weight fell off his shoulders. He raised me to respect my brothers and the road and passed on a true love of two wheels and open air. Unfortunately he passed 11 years ago. Thank you for sharing and thanks for your service.
acemang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #345 (permalink)

aj419 wants to know Dino or Syn?
thanks for your service
aj419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement