Don't put that foot down, don't do it! : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Related Groups and Forums > Motorcycle Rider Safety Tips
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Don't put that foot down, don't do it!

I might have tried some rear brake and let the primary grind all the way through the turn. A better entry would have helped too. But in the end it might have been more speed than that bagger could handle in the turn.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
A lowered bagger and way more speed than he could handle, he was screwed from the start.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Outsider

Half_crazy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by msocko3 View Post
A lowered bagger and way more speed than he could handle, he was screwed from the start.
Yes, exactly, along with poor line choice and a failure to plan far enough ahead.
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.
Half_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

JBourquin wants to know Dino or Syn?
He's lucky to still be walking on it..

JBourquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by msocko3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBourquin View Post
He's lucky to still be walking on it..

Doesn't look he was leaning that much before he started scraping. It's amazing he didn't get hurt.

rkc
Old 11-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

sgmfisher wants to know where he is and how he got here
Sounds to me like a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking going on here. In the wind.

Pops
sgmfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

petew wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmfisher View Post
Sounds to me like a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking going on here. In the wind.

Pops

And what's wrong with that? If that were me and my bike, I wouldn't want it other way! It is important to do an autopsy of a failure to learn from it, to understand why and to make adjustments to bike and/or riding style etc.
This was a particularly good example of leverage at work. When he was down hard enough on the hard part(s), it took more and more weight off of the rear tire and put it right onto the spark making parts.... Then u hear the motor rev as the back tire looses all the rest of the grip and spins and then the bike falls the rest of the way. Too much speed with too little clearance and probably not enough experience to save it when he still had the chance...
The foot dragging was a good way to break an ankle or worse, and I think he was lucky to get up and walk away without much worse damage to him and his beautiful scoot!!!
2011 FLTRX 103" Stage IV, HoleShot Choppers LED Lighting, SE 259E Cams, SE Super Tuner, SE Heavy Breather AC, SE CNC heads, SE 58MM Throttlebody, Vance&Hines Power Duals, and V&H Hi-Output Slip-ons, Renegade Racine Contrast Cut 21x3.5 17x6.25/ Avon 120/70x21" Avon 200/55x17" Dyno Tuned by HDHD 117HP 111TQ
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well, he recovered well. He looked like he just stole home... Slid in and walked away.. The planning was nonexistent but the recovery looked very cool. The best part is that he is out a bunch of money to repair that ride. I doubt it will make him think about it but it still makes me feel better that he wrecked it. the bottom line is whether I feel better or not because people that dumb don't need to matter.
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendell View Post
Well, he recovered well. He looked like he just stole home... Slid in and walked away.. The planning was nonexistent but the recovery looked very cool. The best part is that he is out a bunch of money to repair that ride. I doubt it will make him think about it but it still makes me feel better that he wrecked it. the bottom line is whether I feel better or not because people that dumb don't need to matter.
He does keep his cool after the slide. And his entry didn't help much.

But I think he could have made it thru had he kept his foot up. He was almost to the apex when his foot caught the pavement, thru his leg back into the bag and pulled his body position off line. You can see the back end wash out right then.

I think the damage on that primary was from the crash, the sparks in the turn, while he was still on two wheels, came from the floorboard support.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
That's what happens when you ruin a Perfectly good bagger.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

sgmfisher wants to know where he is and how he got here
That bag is what saved his foot. Try getting your foot under the primary sometime. Analyze that. Unless your butt was in the saddle, you got nothing to say. In the wind.

Pops
sgmfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I'm sure glad the guy is ok. I could never have taken it so coolly after dropping it.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Lakerat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Target fixation at it's finest, looked like he was making sure the camera was still on him after he started walking away too. Those baggers sure flip purdy, nothing like sliding on your ass down asphalt at 50MPH watching all those parts flying off.

92 FXLR
97 Ultra (RIP)
98 95th Anniversary Ultra
PGR

Last edited by Lakerat; 11-08-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Lakerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I must say that was an awesome dismount.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmfisher View Post
That bag is what saved his foot. Try getting your foot under the primary sometime. Analyze that. Unless your butt was in the saddle, you got nothing to say. In the wind.

Pops
I ran over my foot once with my YZ. That was many moons ago and I still remember it. Caught a toe in the dirt, threw my foot right back under the rear tire. Remembering that helps keeps me on the floorboards.

Analysis just may help others from making similar mistakes.

Great post dyne, thanks.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement