shredded truck tires : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Related Groups and Forums > Motorcycle Rider Safety Tips
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

mtig wants to know Dino or Syn?
shredded truck tires

Semis shred their tires sometimes. What happens if you hit a chunk of their shredded rubber when you're on the interstate? Let's say 70 MPH. Do you die? Do you survive but wish you hadn't? I would like to know but I don't want to go out and experiment.
mtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

93-331-29PSI wants to know Dino or Syn?
Depends on how close you are and how you hit the shredded tire, or how it hits you. They are hot when they blow, and come off with enough force to take your head off if you're too close. Best idea is to keep a safe distance behind the big rigs, or get in front of them.

2008 Heritage - Sold
2009 Road Glide - Sold
93-331-29PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

tunnelrat wants to know Dino or Syn?
The odds of being in the "blowout zone" are small compared to encountering the remains of such tires just laying on the road. Between tire chunks and all the other debris around here I have developed a strategy for interstate travel in moderate to heavy traffic.

I tend to ride fast so I'm usually in the left lane. I like to stay in the right side of the lane which allows for several things.
1- It allows for better line of sight past the vehicles in my lane thus keeping the straddle surprises to a minimum.
2- This also keeps me in the field of vision of the driver's mirrors of the vehicles in the right lane.

See better, be seen. Just don't count on either.
tunnelrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

pjciii wants to know Dino or Syn?
i read a horror story about just that. i think it was on this forum or another one. took a couples of rider out and the truck company had no liability because they consider it an act of GOD form an insurance stand point. i think that is BS. if they weren't allowed to run on retreads the problem would at least be reduced. the worst place i have seen around the country is I-75 between atlanta and chattanooga. but i agree either stay well back or speed up to get in front
Old 04-21-2011, 01:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

kingClassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
They call 'em road gators...
Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
ATClownGATT

Scrubs wants to know Dino or Syn?
pjciii, I was wondering what a trucking company would be liable for if the worst happened due to one of these retreads coming off and striking, or taking a rider down.

Road Gators ain't cool at all. I live near a well-traveled trucking route (Dallas & points east to Amarillo & points west) and the gators are too numerous for comfort. This highway turns into slalom courses at times and cages usually don't give any quarter to the vehicle behind them. These inconsiderate asshats throw the cardoor open in parking lots...why would they care if they run over something in the road and leave the consequences behind them?

Still, it pays for me to ride aware and S-E-E

----------------FURY is a 2006 FXSTBi Night Train---------------

A favorite quote: "You were born an original, don't die a copy."
Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Iron Butt

DAKSY wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelrat View Post
The odds of being in the "blowout zone" are small compared to encountering the remains of such tires just laying on the road. Between tire chunks and all the other debris around here I have developed a strategy for interstate travel in moderate to heavy traffic.

I tend to ride fast so I'm usually in the left lane. I like to stay in the right side of the lane which allows for several things.
1- It allows for better line of sight past the vehicles in my lane thus keeping the straddle surprises to a minimum.
2- This also keeps me in the field of vision of the driver's mirrors of the vehicles in the right lane.

See better, be seen. Just don't count on either.
I agree, except when I'm passing a big rig. I get as FAR to the left as I can. I feel that putting as much room as possible between me & a potential retread explosion makes me just a little safer.
In 34 years of riding, I've NEVER had one let go, but I HAVE had them come apart next to my pickup. The freekin noise alone scared the crap outta me...

14 Limited Charcoal Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
PGR # 492
PGRNY-5 Ride Captain

DAKSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

kshapiro wants to know Dino or Syn?
Uh...don't hit them. If you're leaving enough space between yourself and other vehicles (2 seconds minimum), and paying attention to the road, it shouldn't happen. NEVER ride right behind tractor trailers either, or any large trucks. They'll see a slice of retread and run right over it throwing it back it you. It's nothing to them ,and life or death to you. Most bikers get hurt or killed because of their own stupid riding styles, not because of cages. Gotta read "Proficient Riding" (over and over) by Hough. When you're on most roads you need to ride like you're a fighter pilot being threatened on all sides...looking for "bogies" at all angles. Been riding since 1969 and still alive...there are Bold riders and Old riders, not both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtig View Post
Semis shred their tires sometimes. What happens if you hit a chunk of their shredded rubber when you're on the interstate? Let's say 70 MPH. Do you die? Do you survive but wish you hadn't? I would like to know but I don't want to go out and experiment.
kshapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
The "season" for gaitors is arriving. The driver of a big rig does not want you anywhere near him, do your best to 'git down the road and be gone...
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doof! There it is.....

'05Train wants to know Dino or Syn?
I ran over one on the Jersey Turnpike last month on the Night Train. Heavy traffic, moving around 65mph in the left lane, jersey wall to the left, Volkswagen Jetta to my right, Chevy Suburban in front, Honda Accord behind me. The Suburban ran over the 6 foot long carcass, flipping it up in the air towards me. With no escape route, I braked as hard as I could and ran the thing over. I got damn lucky I stayed upright, the tires were intact, and the oil cooler lines weren't torn off.

The 2-second rule is nice, but doesn't work in heavy traffic. At 60mph, you're covering 176 feet in 2 seconds. That space can and will be filled with cars as soon as you try to establish it.
116.70/116.01 SAE

'10 Scarlet Red/Vivid Black Electra Glide Ultra Limited
Stage 1, Intiminators, 575s

'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
When you can hear a tire whop-whop-whopping is the best time to get away from it.

It's low on air, getting abnormally hot, and is the #1 mommy of new born gators on the road.

That's also the reason to keep your car and bike tires inflated.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

tunnelrat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKSY View Post
I agree, except when I'm passing a big rig. I get as FAR to the left as I can. I feel that putting as much room as possible between me & a potential retread explosion makes me just a little safer.
In 34 years of riding, I've NEVER had one let go, but I HAVE had them come apart next to my pickup. The freekin noise alone scared the crap outta me...
Agreed DAKSY. I do exactly the same thing when passing a big truck, I just left that out.
tunnelrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Texas Tom wants to know Dino or Syn?
In 07 coming from sturgis about 40 miles north of amarillo I saw smoke coming from a big rigs tires in front of me I slowed down watched it blow and proceeded to dodge all bits when a minivan in the left lane flew by me at 80-85 mph,ran thru all the bits throwing em everywhere a piece about 3 foot long headed straight for me at eye level,I ducked ....smacked my wife right across her side left a nasty road rash type wound about a foot long down her shoulder to elbow. I wanted my friends to chase that minivan down but they wouldnt do it,I felt bad about ducking but my wife says if it would of hit me in the face we both may have gone down. I thought I did everything correct ,saw the smoke slowed down waved at all the bikes behind me,weaved thru the debris...never anticipated the B@#$% in the minivan would go flying by and run right over all the bits throwing em up at me.....four years ago im still mad.....
Texas Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
The hotter it is, the worse it gets. Stay away from trucks - you are better off in the same lane behind them, but do your best to stay away. I have seen those tires throw treads and cause cage accidents.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

mtig wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good comments. The post by 05train echoes my concern. The 2-second rule doesn't work in heavy traffic.

I have witnessed an explosion only once in my life. My real concern is debris in the road. If you're behind something larger than a Miata, you might not be able to see. ...and some of you mentioned other vehicles that kick up debris. Good point.

I think it's really an issue during heavy traffic. Commuting to work on the Interstate is starting to bother me because of the amount of rubber I see on I91 around Hartford, CT, and the inability to see far ahead.

Thanks.
mtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement