Windsheild polishing : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Related Groups and Forums > Motorcycle Care Products
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2005, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

92Flstf wants to know Dino or Syn?
Windsheild polishing

Hi, all! Great forum! Was wondering if anyone had had to polish their windsheild back to clear... Mine bike didn't have the luxury of an enclosed out of the weather storage with the previous owner for the first two years of its life (92 Fat Boy). As long as I have owned it I have had a constant battle of keeping it from going opaque... I think I have finally lost the battle, but not the war. I have tried my Novus polish and it doesn't even touch it. If you look at the surface closely both side look like there is a "glaze", kinda reminds me of donut glaze on a Krispy Kreme with the crackling in it. (LOL! Mmmm Krispy Kreme.... I think I can see the glow of the "Hot Now" lights from Pittsburgh...)
I think it's the "anti scratch" coating taking a dump... I did a little experiment with some Never Dull this afternoon. With some elbow grease it seems to polish the "glaze" off. I was thinking about trying the compounds and buffing wheels I have for polishing my wheels once get the polisher... Any thoughts?

Thanks, Eric
92Flstf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2005, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

TLeath wants to know Dino or Syn?
Which Novus are you using? There are three different levels of Novus with level 3 being the most aggressive. Level 2 will clean real well along with removing minor scratches. Level 1 (or just plain Novus) is really just a polish. I wouldn't expect too much out of it other than just polishing an unscratched, unstained piece of lexan.

You're supposed to use only the level you need (don't just jump to number 3) and to progressively work your way down in the numbers (i.e. If you use level 3 then use level 2 and then level 1). That way you will gradually remove finer and finer scratches.

Worked for me anyway. Good luck.

Tom
TLeath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2005, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I only have #2. Used it for quite awhile. Used it on my 92 mustang headlites, too. I was thinking about trying #3, just dunno if its gonna cut the funk on it... It's too funky to have it on to ride... I would rather spend the coin on tires than a replacement windshield... ($145) I tried to post a pic of the bike, however I guess since its in another thread I can't. Dunno how to cut/paste it here... Its in "New here" in the introduce yourself section. You can kinda see how milky its gotten. That pic was taken last summer after its first real bath in 2 years of sittting in the garage...

-Eric

Last edited by 92Flstf; 03-20-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

spgtti wants to know Dino or Syn?
i screwed up my FIRST windshield,when i used windex on it. it just melted the anti scratch coating and wiped right off wherever there were heavy scratches. the lexan underneath still looked clear but you could easily see the splotches where the coating was missing. so i don't get it as far as buffing out scratches with whatever. you're just buffing out the hard coat and would buff right thru on a deeper scratch. i wouldn't want to experiment,but windex DOES take the coating off.
spgtti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Straydog wants to know Dino or Syn?
A good polish works good. I've recently switched over to Zaino polish and tried it on the windshield. Looked like a new windshield. The S-100 wax that I used to use wasn't a polish, but it did help during rain.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Its not scratches I'm trying to buff out, its what I beleive to be the anti-scratch coating that took a dump. When I tried the Never dull it did take the clouded coating off, but man was it a job to do just that little spot. Its so bad its milky and you can't see throught it. I don't recall ever using Windex on it, but thats what it looks like. Its got a cracked look to it.

-Eric

Last edited by 92Flstf; 03-21-2005 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

ShakyJake wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dri-Wash and Guard has a product called OXYGONE that will take that haze off and put your windshield back to new. Contact me if you want more info. I used it and it really works.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
As a side note, to keep it clean and like new, if it starts out new. I take a COTTON towel and soak it in hot water. Then while it is dripping wet, I lay it over the whole windshield and leave it there for an hour or 2, although I have left it on overnight for the hard to remove bugs. Then remove the towel and wash with a warm soapy water and hose off. NEVER WIPE IT or use a gas station cleaner !!

It works great for me. And my windshield stays looking like new.

I do not represent the company and I am in no way affiliated with this cleaning product. Trademarks and copyright are property of the owner. Any likeness to your WATER is strickly coincidental.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2005, 11:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thats how I have cleaned it as far as I can remember, I knew not to use Windex. Worked pretty good! Dunno what this clouding is all about....

-Eric
Old 03-23-2005, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Baked by Beelzebub

penguins_rock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rain-x, dishwashing soap, and lots of other stuff can destroy the coating on the windshields too. Make sure you use cleaner and rain repellant that says it can be used on lexan for them. #3 followed by #2 would probably make it a lot better if you used a power buffer, but for how long that would take, I would fork over the $ for a new windshield. Might try checking out the local auto glass places; most of the harley windshields are from one major company who does honda, yamaha, and others. They had a replacement for my frame in stock for less than $50, even stuck the new one on while I waited.

'03 FXDWG Two-Tone. Too many toys on it to list.
penguins_rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2005, 06:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rocket1450 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Windshield Polishing

I can't help you with your situation but when you get your shield all straightened out try Pledge and a soft rag. It works great and leaves a wax behind that will help keep the bugs from sticking next time. It also fills in any small scratches and keeps the shield looking like new.Pledge is all I have ever used on my shields to clean and protect.
Rocket
Rocket1450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_rock
Might try checking out the local auto glass places; most of the harley windshields are from one major company who does honda, yamaha, and others. They had a replacement for my frame in stock for less than $50, even stuck the new one on while I waited.
No SH&T! Was it a "chain" (like Safelite or such) you went to? Hell, for that matter I imagine the shipping from there to here would prolly still be cheaper - got their #?

-Eric

Last edited by 92Flstf; 03-23-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
72FX/04Ultra

fauskar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Not all windscreens are made a like. "Remember, You get what you pay for it." Material wise, make sure your compare apples to apples.

In order of decreasing material cost and strength, Lexan, High impact acrylic and acrylic. Lexan being the most costly.

National Cycle makes alot of windscreens and has made them for HD in the past (I don't know if they still do). If cost is your concern, then get acrylic.

Lexan just requires special attention during cleaning. But Lexam scratches too.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH

sjpr13 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Windex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Flstf
Thats how I have cleaned it as far as I can remember, I knew not to use Windex. Worked pretty good! Dunno what this clouding is all about....

-Eric
Oh uh...I've used windex a couple of times without any apparent damage...has the damage yet to come?
sjpr13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2005, 09:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

harley hedgehog wants to know Dino or Syn?
One thing that works for my windshield is to put it in the shower and leave it under the hot water for about 5 minutes on each side. Take a soft, wet towell and rub away any remaining bugs and tar. Water is the very best and safest way to keep the windshield clear and free from swirls. I learned this lesson the hard way using chemicals.
harley hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.