Rubber scuff on exhaust pipe, "how too Remove" : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Related Groups and Forums > Motorcycle Care Products
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2004, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

BiggJohn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rubber scuff on exhaust pipe, "how too Remove"

I know I read it some where about scuff marks on exhaust "SE11 slipons", is there a way I can remove the runbber off my chrome pipes without hurt the chrome
thanks Biggjohn
BiggJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2004, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

nerdicus wants to know Dino or Syn?
Easy. Heat up the pipes a bit by taking a spin around town. Get some S100 paste (available at the HD stealership). Get a thick rag or towel. Dab a little of the paste on the pipe. It will sizzle a little bit from the heat of the pipes. Bunch up your rag or towel so you don't burn yourself, and start rubbing really hard. Comes off like magic.

http://www.nerdsfromhell.com
nerdicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2004, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Road Captain

hogg831 wants to know Dino or Syn?
...or you can use Goof-Off..........

Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer are purely coincidental. Any resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic. The question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is left as an exercise for the reader. The question of the existence of the reader is left as an exercise for the second god coefficient.

Fun is a good thing, whining sucks!
hogg831 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2004, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitrohagen wants to know Dino or Syn?
My wife cant seem to keep her boots off my Python staggereds when she rides with me. I just spray a little goof-off, goo-gone (same stuff) on cold pipes. Let it soak for a while and rub off with a soft towel. It can take a little elbow grease.
Nitrohagen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2004, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

rasmusmi wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up Best tar & gorp remover from chrome!

Do NOT use any type of "paste" chrome cleaner on show chrome, unless you're fond of hairline scratches and swirl marks!

The BOM's "BOM's AWAY" isn't bad (especially for polishing oxidized aluminum).

But - THE BEST stuff for getting tar, burned rainsuit legs, and boot marks off your show chrome mufflers is: 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner.

Heat your pipes up, spray this stuff on a good micro-fiber cloth, then wipe down the area in question - be sure to flip to cloth over and over to a clean section with each wipe until the gorp is all gone from your chrome.

Try it...it really works (and no, I don't sell this stuff - I've just wasted too much money on the other stuff out there and ruined some good show chrome using "paste" chrome polishes in the past...NEVER AGAIN!).
rasmusmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2004, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
FXDWG

njmako wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've already rubbed my way to a dull spot on my V&H pipes and its Easy Off from now on. Works great and even the stealer told me to use it. JUST NOT ON A HOT BIKE....oh and wipe of any that gets on the paint cause it removes boot and paint..
2004 FXDWG Stage 1, V&H Staggered Straitshots, 14" Buffalo Bars, Iso Grips, Ness Rad II Mirrors, Mustang Studded Wide Solo/w Backrest, Informer L.E.D. guages, Steel Braided cabling, V-Shield Horn Cover, Removable Saddle bags, ISO-Stirrups with Dually Pegs.
njmako is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2004, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Madkeltic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Use Bluejob it works great.
Madkeltic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2004, 11:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
FatBoy Owner

FatBoy 1962 wants to know Dino or Syn?
are the guys who are using easy-off doing it on chrome pipes? It says on the can "do not use on chrome". I've got SEII slip ons and don't want to do something stupid. So far, neither 3M adhesive cleaner or goof-off has done much to my remove the heel marks from my cold pipes.
FatBoy 1962 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2004, 12:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
FatBoy Owner

FatBoy 1962 wants to know Dino or Syn?
nevermind- I just said what the heck and tried it, figuring a new set of slip-ons on my Visa card was the worst that could happen. Worked fine, left it on for about 20 minutes after spraying it on (carefully)
FatBoy 1962 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2004, 08:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

MTRKC wants to know Dino or Syn?
I read in one thread that there is a difference between "use it on a hot oven" and "use it on a cold oven" Easy Off. Which did you use and were your mufflers cold when you used it? Thanks in advance.
MTRKC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2004, 10:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

lowmileage wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've been using GumOut and it comes right off. On COLD pipes.

1975 Honda 750 K5 - Original owner.

Remembering my Dad, 1917-2003, who rode Harleys before it was fashionable.
lowmileage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2004, 11:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

casaba wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had an indy shop sell me some hot iron cleaner in a little tube that worked awesome. heated the pipes and this stuff wiped on and cleaned the pipes great!
casaba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2004, 12:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Bank Robber

Fangar wants to know Dino or Syn?
'0000" steel wool

'0000" steel wool takes it right off without even touching the finish. Have used it many times. very little effort. No heating of the exhaust, just gently rub it off. Make sure it is 4 zero, commonly referred to as "quadruple ought" steel wool.

Fangar
Fangar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2004, 12:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

rpbrock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here's a "reprint" of what I posted last night in the exhaust forum.....

Hey folks, this sh*t works so good I had to let everbody know. I got caught in a rainstorm a week or so ago and had to don a cheap plastic rainsuit. Well, I burned a good portion of the pants off on my V&H Pro Pipe. I used lacquer thinner to get some of it off. Not all of it came off so I used Easy Off (3 times) and I still had some residue. I had just about given up and remembered that I bought some S100 polishing soap early in the Summer. I had figured that no way was this stuff going to get any thing off BUT it got all of the residue burnt plastic off and also some air filter oil that was burned on the pipe as well.

So I just thought I'd let everyone know this stuff is a must if you want to get the crap off your pipes and make them shine. I don't know how it works, but it does it with no scratching. So there... my good deed for the day is done.

For burnt on rubber try lacquer thinner, it will usually get it off very easily without harm. If that doesn't work try Easy Off works great if you have some caked on stuff and it won't damage the chrome either. Still no dice get the S100 polishing soap.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Mo-Dog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Use deglosser!

I just got my new FLHRCI last Friday and today when I went for my first full clean and wax I noticed burned rubber marks on the pipe shield on both sides (wife's boots). I read this thread and tried everything with no luck...and then went to the garage and dug out a can of paint deglosser. I put a little on a rag and wiped the burnt robber off in about 3 seconds. Believe me this stuff works without any waiting and any work. However, DO NOT GET ANY ON YOUR PAINT! Good luck!

Mo-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.