Anyway to minimize\eliminate water spotting after washing? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Related Groups and Forums > Motorcycle Care Products
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
2003 FLHRCI

03Mike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bike looks great, DueceDog!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

2whlr4life wants to know Dino or Syn?
Arrow a water softner?

An acquaintance who rides a dyna is also a plumber, Tim says the problem is likely "hard water". Most of us have water softners in the house but they are not plumbed into the outside hose faucets. He has replumbed his hose connections into his soft water system and eliminated the water spots on his toys. Not as cheap as a Mr. Clean unit or the others on the market, but something to consider. He will be doing a small plumbing job for me and will reroute my water softner at that time. I'll let you know how it works out. My black Harley and black car are a pain to keep the water spots off.
2whlr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
Do what thou wilt.

black05flhrci wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortster View Post
My '05 blue Sporty looks like new, according to people who ride up beside me at lights.
Water filter on the faucet and wash & wax for us lazy types does the job.
To me it's just another one of my motorcycles.
"The Great Gawd Harley Davidson" was just in the movie Galaxina.

You make a valid point and I have to agree with you completely.

If I rode a '05 blue Sporty that I don't care much about, I would not spend any time and effort cleaning it either.
black05flhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

Kool-Aid wants to know Dino or Syn?
my $.02

wax-Natural Carnauba, I use "Super Glaze HD" by The Wax Shop.
wash cloth- microfiber mitt
wash timeframe-avoid direct/hot sun light (not to be done while working on a tan).
secret detailer-to spotless paint and chrome-save a old windex spray bottle and rinse throughly, then fill with (store bought) distilled water. Buddy tried using his humidifier water, but it got funky). Spray bike and clean microfiber towel with distilled water and wipe down.
My bike is vivid black and always get compliments.
Peace my friends, and see ya on the road
Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

Huffnagle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlr4life View Post
An acquaintance who rides a dyna is also a plumber, Tim says the problem is likely "hard water". Most of us have water softners in the house but they are not plumbed into the outside hose faucets. He has replumbed his hose connections into his soft water system and eliminated the water spots on his toys. Not as cheap as a Mr. Clean unit or the others on the market, but something to consider. He will be doing a small plumbing job for me and will reroute my water softner at that time. I'll let you know how it works out. My black Harley and black car are a pain to keep the water spots off.
My concern with that is that the ion replacement water softeners put salt into your water. They are often set up with non-softened water at the kitchen sink so that you aren't drinking the salt.
It probably isn't good for your grass and I would be concerned about the corrosive effects on the bike.

I did some research lately looking at the electric "salt free water softeners". I wish that they worked, but it sounds like they really don't.

I think a filter is probably the best way to go if you live in a hard water area of the country.
Huffnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
I.A.T.S.E. Local 833

elPrez wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mr Clean kit works great but is no longer available anywhere near me. The website doesn't even show it so I assume they stopped making it...gotta hit ebay or Amazon.
elPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:38 AM   #22 (permalink)
Scootin'

Scrubs is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elPrez View Post
Mr Clean kit works great but is no longer available anywhere near me. The website doesn't even show it so I assume they stopped making it...gotta hit ebay or Amazon.
Mr. elPrez,
I started aa topic thread on this (clicky) just last year. Apparently, the supplies are still available online @ Sears.com.
I ran across a scad of filters on sale at a Kroger in Houston last fall and brought home 10 of them. Got lucky I guess.

----------------FURY is a 2006 FXSTBi Night Train---------------

A favorite quote: "You were born an original, don't die a copy."
Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

nortster wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffnagle View Post
My concern with that is that the ion replacement water softeners put salt into your water. They are often set up with non-softened water at the kitchen sink so that you aren't drinking the salt.
It probably isn't good for your grass and I would be concerned about the corrosive effects on the bike.

I did some research lately looking at the electric "salt free water softeners". I wish that they worked, but it sounds like they really don't.

I think a filter is probably the best way to go if you live in a hard water area of the country.
Got a recommend on wash water from my PUR water filter?

I still towel dry after a wash, but believe the filtered water reduces hard water deposits.
nortster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

Huffnagle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortster View Post
Got a recommend on wash water from my PUR water filter?

I still towel dry after a wash, but believe the filtered water reduces hard water deposits.
I have no idea about that brand filter, but it would be easy to do a little experiment to see.

Try taking 2 clean glass dishes. A glass or saucer would be fine.
Put 1/2 teaspoon of water in each, one filtered and one unfiltered. Let them dry and look at the dishes to see how much residue is left in each. Your answer will be obvious.
Huffnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Enjoying a great Ride.

jeffsglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
I detail bikes for a living, don't ask me why its a pain in the a##. I use Cycle care formula. They only make products for motorcycles. They have different products for every part of your bike, the stuff is un believable.
jeffsglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Maddoghd wants to know Dino or Syn?
I expect your problem is the dish detergent it is bad on automotive paint. I buy what is on sale or the cheapest automotive soap I can find usually Turtle Wax products. I have no problems. And I follow the same proceedures that you do
Old 10-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

nortster wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by black05flhrci View Post
You make a valid point and I have to agree with you completely.

If I rode a '05 blue Sporty that I don't care much about, I would not spend any time and effort cleaning it either.
We should agree to disagree.
My 05 Sporty gets more baths than I do.
Just used Kit carnauba
wash&wax with filtered tap water yet again
& it still looks brand new.

Any motorcycle, a Vincent Black Lightning or even the Brough Superior Lawrence of Arabia died on is just a machine.

Last edited by nortster; 10-06-2011 at 09:16 AM.
nortster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #28 (permalink)
FOG

trooper113 wants to know Dino or Syn?
We have very hard water. In addition to using the Mr. Clean setup (apparently out of production now), I hook my hose to my water softener hose bib rather than an outside hose bib. Makes a lot of difference.

trooper113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
Premium Member

acbacb wants to know where he is and how he got here
Dump the dish detergent ole' buddy. Get a carwash soap and try it. Presto!!, spotting is gone.

"If it has tires or ti+s, sooner or later it's gonna give you trouble."

2012 FLHX Street Glide in Big Blue Pearl

Bone Stock (for now)

acbacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
FNG :)

gdt3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I used to use dish wash soap, but someone told me it removes the wax from the paint. I have used car wash products ever since. I have no proof, but didn't see any reason to test the issue at my expense. I don't get any spotting, but we have good water here.
Cheers.
gdt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement