Just for us : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Related Groups and Forums > Lady Bikers Lair
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2003, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

ValB626 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Just for us

OK, so what if they made one just for us???

low center of gravity
lowered, generally, for shorter legs
shorter distance from seat to handle bars for shorter torsos
smaller controls for smaller hands
less distance to forward foot controls
"looser" controls requiring less hand strength
stock seats specifically designed for ladies' behinds

I don't think anyone needs less weight or wants less power. Just adjusted parts for smaller persons. In fact, maybe just a "ladies' kit" would do the job.

What do you think?
ValB626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2003, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

deb93fxlr wants to know Dino or Syn?
From the moment I started riding I said that harley should build a bike just like you are describing. I know I would have bought it.
deb93fxlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
THE STURGIS QUEEN

ginger wants to know Dino or Syn?
you know, my neighbor/friend bought a yamaha v-star 2000, and i remember sitting and riding it, and i thought it felt wonderful. it was a low riding bike that i was able to touch bottom on and felt comfy with
Old 04-09-2003, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

hdgirlee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi,

I've been away from the forum for a while. Saw your posting and thought I'd say that those are all things that I have been wanting too. I am vertically challanged so when I hear women tell me their guy or the salesperson recommends a sporty I cringe. While love a sporty...its what I ride - they are just way to tall. I love the bigger bikes for their power and low center of gravity.

I see dumb people.
hdgirlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

You know, I'm not even vertically challenged -- 5'8" -- but I'm not strong. And it seemed like when I got my Sporty even the slightest bit off-balance, it wanted to go down and there was nothing I could do except get out of the way. I had it lowered so that just doesn't happen anymore. But how great it would have been if someone had told me upfront that a low center of gravity would make such a difference, and I had the option to buy something that was REALLY a "girl's bike" to start., not to mention the other attributes I listed off the top of my head, especially the shorter reach to the handlbars. I'm relatively tall, but it's all in my legs, so getting my hands on the stock handlebars is a real reach and would mean I'd have to ride leaning forward all the time, which gets tiring (got buckhorns and a 4" riser instead). I don't know, just seems it wouldn't be hard to get the anthropometric data on women the military has been collecting for years and make a bike for the "average woman." Would be a lot less after-market hassle for us if HD would do it. Just PLEZE don't make it pink -- not that I don't like pink, of course.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

FXDeanX wants to know Dino or Syn?
Show me the green and I'll build whatever you want.
My motto: If I build it, you will cum
FXDeanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 02:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

LuvnLife wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally posted by FXDeanX
Show me the green and I'll build whatever you want.
My motto: If I build it, you will cum
LMAO....

I don't have much experience riding other then my honda 80 when I was a kid...But what you all say makes perfect sense....
I know many women here in the valley that ride and they always say the same thing..
Isn't Harley Davidson aware of the millions of female riders? Seems it would be a big seller....

LuvnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

medicinewoman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally posted by ginger
you know, my neighbor/friend bought a yamaha v-star 2000, and i remember sitting and riding it, and i thought it felt wonderful. it was a low riding bike that i was able to touch bottom on and felt comfy with
I have heard this from a few girls out there.

Cheri
medicinewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Luvnlife -

I think maybe the problem is that there aren't millions of us... I wonder if there are even 100,000 women riders. But, maybe if there were bikes built to fit us, there WOULD be millions of us!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

LuvnLife wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up

Its a vicious circle I tell ya...but I vow to do my part...I am looking into riding classes on monday dagnabbit!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 09:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

You GO, girl!
Old 04-12-2003, 08:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

OK, so I"m going to stop whining about this. HD DID make one just for us!!! It was a gorgeous day here, so we drove to a dealership about 100 miles away that was have demo day, just to try out a V-ROD. I could NOT believe that baby. The demo ride was about 1/2 hour long with all different kinds of riding and I fell completely in love. That baby danced!!! The only thing on it I'd have to modify at all (besides the pipes) is the distance to the bars -- I had to lean forward a little more than I like, but much less than on other stock models I've ridden. Low center of gravity, easy to reach everything else, extremely easy controls to use...I mean, seriously -- we came back and I told me DH -- Now this one IS a girl's bike! He loved the power and smooth ride, too, but he's 6'3" and said it felt too small for him. I absolutely adored it.

YIPPEE!!!
Old 04-12-2003, 09:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wicked!

Carrie wants to know Dino or Syn?
ValB626, I'd have to agree with you on that. My mom said the next bike she would like to have would be a V-Rod. They are balanced, light weight, lower and everything else the bike has to offer. Even speed, which is not a good idea for mom. I call her the speed demon on the Sporty. I personally feel the 2000+ Fatboy would be best choice. (only because I have one) It basiclly boils down to what you can handle. Personally, any lady can handle a big bike, even a Sporty, if they adjust it to there needs.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

CoyoteRKC03 wants to know Dino or Syn?
ValB626, all the controls on the V-rod are much more easy because they are "Hydralic", so far the V-Rod is the only HD with that. HD plans on maybe bringing out one of the big tour bikes either in 04 or 05 with the Hydralic's and the V-Rod engine in it. Who knows maybe they will follow up with it on other bikes latter on.

I'm with all you girls on having a bike built for smaller people. It's not just us gals that need it. I know of a few men in our area that are on the shorter side. They too have problems finding a bike that fits them right. As far as anyone's clutch being hard to pull in, there is a solution out there for that. I have it on my RKC. It's called the EZ Clutch. My clutch was real stiff, even the guys I ride with said they didn't know how in the world I was riding it that way. Anyway my husband got our dealer to add the EZ Clutch, now it's like butter, very easy to pull in. You can get this for any bike, it's wonderful. There are also aftermarket levers that dog leg inward toward your grips that can help too. I just can't remember who makes them. Maybe all us women & shorten men need to get together and send a message to HD about making bikes that will fit us better. If you can get enough people to do that, they may listen. Sandy
Old 04-16-2003, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Rode it again

Hi again!

Well, the local dealer let me test drive another VRSC today and I fell in love with it all over again. It is just so comfortable...and goes like a banshee!!

Carrie, I think my kids would share your thoughts about your Mom having one. But, I really do think a yahoo is going to drive like a yahoo, no matter what bike they're on -- not that I'm calling your Mom a yahoo!! I'm probably too inexperienced to know the difference, but it didn't seem like the V-ROD accelerated all that much faster than my Sporty. It was just so much smoother.

Sandy - hi from HD Women Riders! Boy, thanks for the EZ Clutch tip. I didn't know the V-ROD controls were hydraulic. They are sure easy to use, tho.

So...the dealer is working up a price quote for me, with a trade-in on my Sporty. I just MIGHT actually do this!! Will know tomorrow.

Does anyone know any women VSRC riders? I've only seen one woman on it, but I live in the middle of nowhere, so that's not surprising.

Happy riding!

Val
Sponsored Links
Advertisement