The BMW R1200RT?? - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Other Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Japanese/European Cruisers
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2006, 10:49 AM   #31 (permalink)
IronButt

Mattman22033 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Kawasaki GTR 1400 is a serious machine.
Mattman22033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #32 (permalink)
Premium Member

NodakGus wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have one

I have the 1200RT and a Road King. Two completely different riding experiences. The BMW also has the 6-speed tranny though you don't really it unless you are running faster than the superslab speed limit.

Advertising 0-62mph (yes, 62 because the time tests were done using 100km) is 3.6 seconds. What is going to run "rings around" 3.6 seconds I don't know. The GT is faster I know.

I would have to give the RT a "10" on the satisfaction score card. I have every accessory except heated seats. If I were forced to let go one of my two bikes, I am probably committing heresy on this forum but the BMW is in my garage to stay.

I know lots of big inch V-Twin riders think the boxer engine is butt-ugly. The boxer engine has a long history of success too.

One last thing about BMW's bikes. I thought the Motor Company had a lot of engine and model choices. BMW is not far behind with their "Thumpers", Boxer-twins and their multi-cylinder "K" bike series. Apparently their new K1200S is a serious player in the world of sport bikes too.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #33 (permalink)
Infrequent Poster

dwarthog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NodakGus
I have the 1200RT and a Road King. Two completely different riding experiences. The BMW also has the 6-speed tranny though you don't really it unless you are running faster than the superslab speed limit.

Advertising 0-62mph (yes, 62 because the time tests were done using 100km) is 3.6 seconds. What is going to run "rings around" 3.6 seconds I don't know. The GT is faster I know.

I would have to give the RT a "10" on the satisfaction score card. I have every accessory except heated seats. If I were forced to let go one of my two bikes, I am probably committing heresy on this forum but the BMW is in my garage to stay.

I know lots of big inch V-Twin riders think the boxer engine is butt-ugly. The boxer engine has a long history of success too.

One last thing about BMW's bikes. I thought the Motor Company had a lot of engine and model choices. BMW is not far behind with their "Thumpers", Boxer-twins and their multi-cylinder "K" bike series. Apparently their new K1200S is a serious player in the world of sport bikes too.
You and me both on that front.

My Road Glide is hanging on by a thread right now. I have some serious lust going on for the GSA....
Old 06-14-2009, 12:26 AM   #34 (permalink)
FNG :)

H2000fb wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 2000 Fat Boy with Cam/42mm carb/ pipes/map/air cleaner mods... Also, have an Ultra with a big bore kit.

During visits to my brothers, who lives near a BMW dealer, along with all the area bike dealers - we kept visiting the BMW. Test rode on numerous occasions (more open to rides than Harley dealers) the RT and the LT.

The LT, more luxurious than the Ultra - hands down. Much taller. Few Harley riders will like this. The RT has as much comfort as the Ultra, but much more spirited. One is like driving a bus, one like a Porshe. I stopped riding the Fatboy - sold it.

The RT is now ridden more than the Ultra.
I have spent some time on the FJR. Much more cramped and the heat was awful. The RT, not such problem. Also, tried the ST. Same heat problem.

I don't find the BMW any more expensive than the Harley. So if you are on this forum, I don't know why $$ are an issue.
H2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:18 AM   #35 (permalink)
IronButt

reg26 wants to know Dino or Syn?
FJR did have heat issues till 05. In 06 it was changed and no more heat issues
reg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:35 AM   #36 (permalink)
Are you kidding me?

Friedenfels wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just sold my 2007 R1200RT in Jan to purchase an 09 Fatboy. In every way, the BMW was/is a better bike then the Fatboy save for one....it didn't stir my soul.

Honestly, walked away from a friend's screamin eagle road king; great brakes, and even with stock seat, managed a 984 mile day in 15 hours.

Although there are aftermarket gadgets, nothing like Harley. If you like to tinker with your bike, the Beemer isn't going to do it for you....just ride.

Oz
SE-204s
V&H Double Barrels
Friedenfels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:48 AM   #37 (permalink)

BILLLLIB wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have ridden BMW's since 1979. I have a 78 sportster that was giving me fits, NEVER ran right. I was at the dealer when my buddy rode in on his dads BMW. I rode it around the parking lot while the harley dealer was attempting to fix my sporty. I traded it in the next week. Flash forward 30 years and I have purchased my 2nd harley. A 09 electra glide ultra. I sold my 03 BMW R1200CLC in 1 week on the BMW internet riders web site. The harley is a really different bike, has more torque than the BMW. The harley is not as balanced, it is top heavy, has slower steering, is heavier, gets poorer fuel mileage....BUT I sort of like it. It's more of a relaxed ride. The harley doesn't like to hurried, or ridden hard. The BMW engineered their bike to do just that. The harley makes all sorts of industrial noises, and a loud clunk when put in 1st gear. I find that well sort of like a personality the BMW lacked. harley rallys are much cooler than BMW rallys also. These bikes are very different, as are the people who own them. I like both brands, and if I was blessed with more income I would have 2 bkes in the garage, a harley & a BMW

Last edited by BILLLLIB; 06-14-2009 at 06:51 AM.
BILLLLIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #38 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
I've been curious about a RT. It just doesn't look that comfortable, especially for two people. Not the big sofa look of my Ultra.
But I've never had a chance to ride on.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #39 (permalink)

IAMBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
I've been curious about a RT. It just doesn't look that comfortable, especially for two people. Not the big sofa look of my Ultra.
But I've never had a chance to ride on.
DOn't take an RT for a test ride, you will NEVER look back..

I did, and now have an 09 RT sitting in my garage. ESA kicks ass.. friggin thing corners better than sport bikes I've been on, by a very large margin..

50+ miles to the gallon at cruising speed of 70+.. 55 can get into the low 60's.. with a 7 gallon tank.. you do the math. Thing is on long trips, you can go tank to tank without having, needing or wanting to get off the bike..
IAMBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #40 (permalink)

35386 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just test rode a 2009 1200RT. Damn what a nice bike. Vibrates and shakes at idle but once it gets going it is smoooooth. Good torque also, surprised me. Wind protection is just right. Wife loved it also. Problem is the price. Way too high. For that amount of money I can get a EG Classic.
35386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #41 (permalink)
IronButt

LarryM wants to know Dino or Syn?
I took a 1200RT out for a test drive one morning. The bike has a heck of a lot of horsepower and can really move out. However, it is tall and a tad bit top heavy and I didn't like the slow speed handling. I didn't feel comfortable locking the handlebars in turns. The seat is so-so, maybe too firm. The bike is quiet and smooth, sort of like sitting in front of a computer screen.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement