Metric Touring vs cost and value : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Other Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Japanese/European Cruisers
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Scooter66 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Metric Touring vs cost and value

I was recently shopping for a new touring bike and was amazed at the cost in relation to the HD touring bikes. It seemed that many are close to or at the HD price point. My question is do you feel that the quality of the metric bikes is reflected in their prices or are they chasing the HD price point. I ended up buying a HD Ultra Limited after test driving a wide range of bikes. I based my decision on the fact that the HD just felt like a better made bike and had a higher quality of fit and finish. It seemed that the metrics are still cutting corners on things like latches on bags, quality of paint and use of cheaper plastics. I found that many of the metrics had a good ride and were solid bikes but couldn't surpass the HD in other areas. For the record this was my first HD and a bike I had always scoffed at because they used to be so much more money than a comparable metric. Not looking for a HD vs metric war just wondering how others are seeing it.

2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Scooter66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Outsider

Half_crazy wants to know Dino or Syn?
What metrics were you comparing to the Ultra Limited?
airbox, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt
Half_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

jodee911 wants to know Dino or Syn?
HD vs metric

When I got back into riding, I started with smaller metrics and moved to larger metrics. I live near a very large annual rally and all the bike Mfg.'s are there and you could demo ride just about anything you can think of.... well I test rode nearly everything that I liked. And I always felt HD rode the best, more solid feel around corners, better center of gravity, better handling at low sepeed & high speed. I also agree with what you say about the quality of materials used, alot of metric have more plastic less steel ,more chrome plated plastic. As far as value, even if HD cost a little more the resale value is []by far better with HD, some of the metrics that i bought brand new lost half their value is just a couple of years. Finally, NOTHING beats the cool fact of a Harley ! Ride safe !

Last edited by jodee911; 04-11-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: add pic
jodee911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

jodee911 wants to know Dino or Syn?
*** vs USA

Oh.. forgot to mention, I purchased a 2010 HD Street Glide in April 2010, I absolutely love it, since then i've ridden 15,000 miles and plan on keeping it for a long time. I wanted to post a photo of it but couldn't firgure out how.
Joe "Cutter"
jodee911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

ROGER4314 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I rode rice burners for decades and got used to the plastic crap. My 1500 Gold Wing was all plastic with hidden plastic clip fasteners everywhere! The durned clips would break off so the pieces had to be fastened with RTV and wire. Drop a Gold Wing and you'll get a ticket for littering! Look at the chain guards on the metric rides. If there's 10 cents worth of plastic in them, I'd be surprised.

My Kawasakis and Hondas were all plastic. They say that's because it saves weight. It's still just cheap, crappy glitz that begins to break as soon as you ride off the lot. Super glue, bondo and RTV are required to keep them on the road.

I have a Sportster 1200c. It's not supposed to be a "real" Harley but it's way ahead of the bikes I've been riding. My belt guard is metal. They could have made it out of plastic but they didn't and they won't. The battery cover is metal, too. The bike is solid, well made, paint is great, design is beautiful and it's my favorite out of all the bikes I've owned. There is NOTHING cheap and crappy about my ride.

There's something odd about the Harley. My Metric bikes would never trigger the left turn presence detectors in Texas stop lights. The detectors see my Sportster!

After riding dual overhead cam, water cooled bikes for so long, a long stroke pushrod, air cooled engine was a shock. I love the "potato-potato" idle and lots of low end torque. The darned thing really grows on you!

I wouldn't care to take the XL1200c on 6000 or 8000 mile trips like I did my Gold Wing but I'm real happy with it and I won't switch back to metrics.

Flash

Lovin' the Harley Idle....potato, potato, potato!

Last edited by ROGER4314; 04-11-2012 at 11:22 AM.
ROGER4314 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Scooter66 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half_crazy View Post
What metrics were you comparing to the Ultra Limited?
I tested the Honda Goldwing, Kawasaki Voyager, Yamaha Strat, BMW, Victory Cross Country and Vision and the Can Am.

2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Scooter66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Jammin'John wants to know Dino or Syn?
Red face Taiwan

ROGER4314:
I have a Sportster 1200c. It's not supposed to be a "real" Harley but it's way ahead of the bikes I've been riding. My belt guard is metal. They could have made it out of plastic but they didn't and they won't. The battery cover is metal, too. The bike is solid, well made, paint is great, design is beautiful and it's my favorite out of all the bikes I've owned. There is NOTHING cheap and crappy about my ride.

The "metal" parts on your bike are made in taiwan & china as well as MANY other countries and are not "better".
That's kinda cheap and crappy.

The "better" parts on your bike are the ones that are made in japan.
Things like your front forks,carb(if you have one),electronics.

Plastic is lighter and it doesn't rust,not a concern for you {only a concern if you ride a lot}.

JJ
Jammin'John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

High Torque wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin'John View Post
ROGER4314:

The "metal" parts on your bike are made in taiwan & china as well as MANY other countries and are not "better".
That's kinda cheap and crappy.

The "better" parts on your bike are the ones that are made in japan.
Things like your front forks,carb(if you have one),electronics.

Plastic is lighter and it doesn't rust,not a concern for you {only a concern if you ride a lot}.

JJ
Plastic may be lighter, but it"s like wearing socks with your sandals on the beach. Hold two belt guards in your hands, one plastic and the other metal. Tell me you would prefer the plastic one over the cheap and crappy metal one.
High Torque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

pcarrell wants to know Dino or Syn?
I used to ride Harley's, and I love them, don't get me wrong, but it seemed to me they needed more work on them to keep them going then the metric's my friends rode. I bought a metric and just put gas in it and go.
To be fair though, from what I hear, Harley has come a long ways since the days when the bikes would literally shake themselves apart.
pcarrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have rode Honda's for years. the resale value is not so good unless you buy used and sell with great maint records. As far as quality of equipment, they are nearly bullet proof. I will say that the handling, and ride comfort of an Ultra far and away surpasses a Honda Goldwing, IMO. The resale value of the ultra is pretty good as long as you take care of it. As far as a touring bike I will go with another Harley when I get a new one. My 06 Ultra is my first modern Harley, and I bought it because the deal was right. There ya go I hope it helps.
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

TenMidgets wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have "metric ass" and a desire for American Iron. No better choice than a Victory. I went to HD and rode a SoftTail, Dyna and 1200 Sporty before seeing a used 09 Victory Vegas. One test ride on that after riding the rest convinced my I like to use the mirrors at stops, and mid range stock power. No need for any kits. Just ride.

A little research further made me feel better about Maintenance intervals and costs and far less to go wrong not using Drive and can chains. Dealer service interval costs

Second choice is what i ride now , A Yamaha. Bullet proof. Never had anything go wrong and they are discounted deep as well. Used prices for what you get are great. I want a larger bike and American made, otherwise I would be looking at a Stratoliner or Royal Star

Last edited by TenMidgets; 02-11-2013 at 09:37 AM.
TenMidgets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
I rode metric for a couple decades, and the only plastic parts that are different from the Harley plastic parts are...... Crap, cant thing of it. the Goldwing is covered in big plastic, but My Ultra has plastic fairings, luggage and side covers. I don't have a chain guard, but then neither does a Goldwing. I toured extensively on a VTX1800R it had less plastic than my Ultra, even if it had a batwing on the front. The bags were hard leather, or an leather like synthetic over metal framework and a very thin plastic liner. Oh yeah the bags were much bigger.

The Ultra does handle about 3410% better than the VTX1800. I would still say that even though the reliability has improved to near comparability, The Honda is still more reliable. The resale value of the Harley is much better, even though this is an aspect that has been changing in the last couple years as the "Biker" craze is starting to level out.

As far as comparing the bikes, it's kind of whatever you are digging. The most important thing is that you are happy with it, I mean you have to ride it, whatever you buy..
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

ronbeatty wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter66 View Post
I tested the Honda Goldwing, Kawasaki Voyager, Yamaha Strat, BMW, Victory Cross Country and Vision and the Can Am.
What was your opinion of the Stratoliner? I ask because I bought a 2012 Stratoliner S in June of last year after test riding a Heritage Softtail. I am not a bike snob of either brand, I ride what works for me and could care less about a flame war between HD and *** bikes. But the Stratoliner was just so much more comfortable for me than the Heritage. And I don't see any plastic on mine, all steel and chrome. Fit and finish are great, the bike handles like a dream, and I could not be happier. I wouldn't trade for anything Harley makes simply because of the comfort of the Strat. At over 67 inches in the wheelbase it is 4 inches longer than the Heritage and it made a huge difference for me. I am 6'2 and weigh 240.
ronbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

2010hdultra wants to know Dino or Syn?
Re: Metric Touring vs Cost and Value

I also looked at the same bikes when i was looking for a touring bike. The golding had some nice luxeries like the heat vents for feet and body, but i ended up with a ultra classic. Styling and the small stuff was what sold me. The iconic harley sound, actual v-twin styling, finish of the tins, no lip around the tank, hidden wires. Etc. Plus after market support is much better, plus its a harley. Each to their own but i will ride Harley.
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

ronbeatty wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010hdultra View Post
I also looked at the same bikes when i was looking for a touring bike. The golding had some nice luxeries like the heat vents for feet and body, but i ended up with a ultra classic. Styling and the small stuff was what sold me. The iconic harley sound, actual v-twin styling, finish of the tins, no lip around the tank, hidden wires. Etc. Plus after market support is much better, plus its a harley. Each to their own but i will ride Harley.
I tried the UC too. Great bike but just too small feeling for me and my size. I felt jammed up into the handlebars and too far forward. I could have spent a ton of money on aftermarket stuff to move me down and back, but for that kind of money I was expecting to ride it off comfortably, and unfortunately the Harley just wasn't for me. They had a nice Heritage with Custom paint too. It was #1 of 200. But I was just too jammed up on it. The Strat has been sweet so far. I did buy some Ultimate Seats for butt comfort, but the stock seats had me in a great position. The Ultimates actually moved me up and closer.
ronbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.