Honda vtx1800 question : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Other Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Japanese/European Cruisers
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

muleskinner wants to know Dino or Syn?
Honda vtx1800 question

Any idea why the VTX 1800 never sold well? There are still 08 models built in 07 in warehouses? Strange.
muleskinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

HarleyLance wants to know Dino or Syn?
I really don't know why. They seemed to be a great bike. Maybe they just got lost in the shuffle of all the other mega power cruisers out there. I almost picked up one in 2010, and it was going for $8,000 for a 2008 new bike.

A local dealer is selling their remaining VTX1300's for $6599.

"Born to be wild, and then to take a nap."

HarleyLance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

I was at a local dealer the other day and they had two, both built in 07. Strange. i would rather have a 1800 CC motor than a 1300 CC motor. There were things I think Honda could have done better, but overall the bike was not that bad looking.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

The power/price quotient was very nice. The folks that I know that have the VTX1800 love their bikes. What I heard was the classic "too much inventory, too little sales" that caused the demise of the VTX series. With a company the size of Honda, they can easily crank out new models to replace ones that don't sell very well. The Fury and its variants replaced the VTX series, and from what I hear the Fury is selling well. Once sales slow on that bike, I think they will start the cycle of discontinuation and replacement all over again.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

trike lady wants to know Dino or Syn?
The VTX 1800 is a nice bike and makes a nice trike also.
Some people found them very heavy, but purchased the VTX 1300 instead.
Honda also sent production of their motorcycle back to Japan. No Wings either until 2012.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

So the VTX1800 was made in the USA, not Japan? Or was it just assembled here?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
So the VTX1800 was made in the USA, not Japan? Or was it just assembled here?
There was a plant in Ohio that was devoted to the VTX and Goldwing, and that plant was closed when the VTX was discontinued. Apparently the workers moved over to the Honda auto plant in the same area.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

sessums wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lots of guys opted to buy the 1300 because it was a single pin crank and carburated and the 1800 was a dual pin and fuel injected. In 2008 my son in law bought a new (0 miles)2006 VTX 1800 for $7800 and has rode it hard and has done nothing but change oil. and replace tires.
sessums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

oasysco wants to know Dino or Syn?
My local dealer says that the VTX1800 was much bigger and more expensive than customers wanted in a Honda; it didn't fit their customer demographics. This particular shop quit carrying them on the floor in 2006 and would only special order them by customer request (and with a down payment). I had a 2002 1800C and later, a 2007 1300S. Nice bikes; the 1800 was a beast; PCIII and dynotuned.

Greg

Greg
oasysco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
FNG :)

richard head wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had one of the vtx1800n's.It was a good running bike .But as far as performance ,if external upgrades didn't get you where you wanted to be,There was/is almost nothing available to internally modify motor .VTX1800s' are real stout as they come .But that's where it stays unless you have lots of cubic dollars for custom made stuff .I liked that bike(an 05) ,

Last edited by richard head; 02-11-2011 at 08:21 AM.
richard head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

gb1500 wants to know Dino or Syn?
prob if people wanted a big cruzer like that they just got a hd for a few buk more....you want a wing you get a wing...a sport you get a sport ...an hd an hd
gb1500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtdobber wants to know Dino or Syn?
The VTX line was American all the way. It was designed, made, and produced by Americans. Sure there are other parts on it but it is 85% American. They produced them in mass production but sales were not enough to get rid of them. The 1800 dies first because of sales. 1300's sold close to 70% better. At one point it was the one to beat-2002-2003-
Then it got competition and Honda remained VTX remained unchanged other than adding more to the line with minor appearance, N,F models for instance. The last C models came with F model dashes to get the parts used up.
Honda dropped the ball instead of stepping up to the plate and made some changes. They are still a great bike and good deals can be had. I picked up a 04 in 05 for $7,200. Still got it. A lot of guys put the changes in their own hands. There are still a lot accessories available for the VTX line. Honda seems to be focusing on crotch rockets instead of new designed cruisers. The Goldwing is their Flagship and will not let anything interfere with it's sales. MY VTX 1800
Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

pcarrell wants to know Dino or Syn?
My understanding, limited as it may be, was that there were reports that the 1800 clutch was "grabby", whereas the 1300 was not so much so....read: more user friendly. Also, the 1800's, for most of their model run, were hitting the market when gas prices were spiking, so smaller displacement bikes were flying off the sales floor while bigger bikes were sitting. It's only been the last year or two that we've become accustomed to paying $3+ dollars for gas as a norm.

BTW, WAY COOL bike Dirt!

Last edited by pcarrell; 01-07-2013 at 12:05 AM.
pcarrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Not sure if the sales was the issue. it may have been production, like producing way to many. Then there are many volume dealers. They always have a few from a few years ago. I know the one Had I wish had it back. They do not handle as well as a harley. The only thing most Honda riders do is add an intake, exhaust and a power commander. Thenthey ride the living crap out of them.
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

pcarrell wants to know Dino or Syn?
According to the dealers I talked to from around 2005-2009 they were having real problems moving the larger cc bikes, while the smaller cc ones were selling as fast as they would come in and sometimes back ordered. Maybe it's different in your area, I don't know.
pcarrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.