Technical question : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Sponsors Section > Incognito Products
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Jeffytune is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Technical question

Hi there.

First off, welcome to the forum.

My question about your spark plug is this, Harley uses a Ion spark knock sensor working on the spark plug feedback. From what I have seen it is very sensitive. Aftermarket spark plug wires and and low resistance plugs can throw computer scene out of calibration.

Have these plugs been tested and proved to not change the Ion knock sensor and does the manufacture have a guaranty against possible engine damage?

2010 FLHTCUI
96 CID w/ the quiet 6 speed
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Harley quiet high flow 110 mufflers (Hey, they were free)
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

I have learned, Just say NO to Dyno's!
Member DooF Clenas , and proud of it.

Professional Rockat Surgen
Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Just pidlin'

CHIPMAKER wants to know Dino or Syn?

In any confrontation between knowledge and ignorance, ignorance has the edge,
because knowledge is limited, but ignorance is not......

just pidlin
Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

IncognitoProducts wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffytune View Post
Hi there.

First off, welcome to the forum.

My question about your spark plug is this, Harley uses a Ion spark knock sensor working on the spark plug feedback. From what I have seen it is very sensitive. Aftermarket spark plug wires and and low resistance plugs can throw computer scene out of calibration.

Have these plugs been tested and proved to not change the Ion knock sensor and does the manufacture have a guaranty against possible engine damage?
First, Thanks for the warm welcome. Sir, there are no issues with the Ion spark knock sensor. The Pulstar power Sports line was released in Nov 2010... they were released with HD in mind. Because HD is the dominate bike on the road. I fully understand all of your concerns... I have been an Authorized Distributor for almost 2 years now (2yrs in Jan 2013) and these were some of my exact questions (great minds think alike). As far as possible engine damage goes... Pulstar Pulse Plugs, will not harm your engine in any way. The reason is the 1 million watt discharge only last for 2 billionths of a second. This is enough time to ignite the fuel charge... but brief enough to not over heat vital engine components (valves, pistons, etc). As long as you engine was built with the #1 piston at top dead center (and I am sure it was) & the ignition timing is with in specks (and I am sure it is as well)... you will have no negative issues. This is in writing, I have the magazine add... it says, Pulstar Pulse plugs will not harm your engine, Guaranteed.

Here is a link to my website: http://www.Pulstar-IncognitoProducts.com

Very good questions, Sir. I hope I answered them for you. thanks for your interest & concerns.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPMAKER View Post
Thanks for stopping by. You are more than welcome to just browse.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Pulstar Live demo

This is what is going on in the video:

For 100 years, ignition technology has been dominated by spark plugs . Pulse plugs are a radical departure from spark plugs. Their physical dimensions are the same as spark plugs because they have to interface with the engine and ignition system just like spark plugs. But this is where the similarity ends.

Pulse plugs incorporate a pulse circuit, which stores incoming electrical energy from the ignition system and releases the stored energy in a powerful pulse of power. Instead of 50 watts of peak power typical of all spark plugs, pulse plugs deliver up to 1 million watts of peak power. So where does the pulse plug get its incredible power?

When the ignition signal is sent to a traditional spark plug, it begins to ionize the spark gap. This means the voltage builds in the gap until a spark can be formed. During this ionization phase, which lasts about 5 millionths of a second, the incoming voltage (which has nowhere to go) heats up ignition components including the spark plug. This is wasted energy. When the ignition voltage overcomes the
resistance in the spark gap, the spark is created with an initial discharge of approximately 50 watts. Once created, the spark resides between the electrodes at very low power for over a period of 30 millionths of a second.

What’s different about a PulstarŪ Pulse Plug is instead of heating ignition parts during the ionization phase, this energy is stored in the integral circuit inside the pulse plug. When the ignition power overcomes the resistance in the spark gap, the pulse circuit discharges all of its accumulated power – 1 million watts – in 2 billionths of a second!

A simple way to think about pulse plugs is they are similar to a camera flash, whereas spark plugs are more like a flashlight. A camera flash is exponentially brighter than a flashlight even though they both may use the same battery.

Tests at an independent laboratory demonstrate how Pulstar™ pulse plugs burn fuel more efficiently than spark plugs. In this high-speed video (shot at 68,000 frames per second), you can actually see the ignition plume of Pulstar™ growing at more than twice the speed of the spark plug. Pulstar™ generates a much larger spark than spark plugs, which reduces overall burn time and burns the fuel more completely. Once created, the spark dissipates over a period of 30 millionths of a second.

With increased cylinder pressure, the pistons are pushed down with more force, which, in turn, generates more torque in the crankshaft, more liveliness to the throttle and more power to the wheels.

Of course, if you don’t use this torque to go faster, the engine does its work with less effort resulting in better fuel economy.

Another way PulstarŪ improves efficiency is by reducing cycle-to-cycle variation. Cycle-to-cycle variation occurs in every engine to some degree and is caused by the dynamics of combustion, load, fuel quality, mixture of air to fuel and many other combustion variables. These variables can cause the spark plug to generate a weak spark and in the worst case, a misfire. This variability in ignition timing robs all spark ignited, internal combustion engines of up to 10% of their efficiency.

The powerful spark of PulstarŪ ignites fuel more precisely, which can reduce cycle-to-cycle variation by up to 50%. This is an important contribution to improving fuel economy.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Uh-huh. The plug stores a charge? So what is the farad measure for this capacitor?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Just pidlin'

CHIPMAKER wants to know Dino or Syn?
Is it just me, or did this thread seem to start off in the middle of nowhere?

In any confrontation between knowledge and ignorance, ignorance has the edge,
because knowledge is limited, but ignorance is not......

just pidlin
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
Uh-huh. The plug stores a charge? So what is the farad measure for this capacitor?
Sir, I am not sure that I understand your question... I am not an electrical engineer.

Here are some facts to give the product some credibility:
Honeywell has been producing them for about 2 yrs now http://www.pulstar-incognitoproducts...ply-agreement/

Pulstar went OEM this year http://www.pulstar-incognitoproducts...ress-releases/
Arlen Ness has been a dealer of mine for about 6 months.
They tested 2 sets of plugs for about 8 months in 2 of their personal bikes.

PulstarŪ Pulse Plugs… NOT a new idea….
The first patent for a Spark-Plug with an internal capacitor was filed in the early 1900′s. Sadly it took almost 100 years for technology to catch up, and turn the idea into a reality. After over 20 years of research, development, and extensive testing, the first ground breaking product Direct Hit came to market in 1994. The PulstarŪ pulse Plug was released in June of 2006. As a direct replacement part, for the the traditional Spark-Plug. A pulse Plug is not a Spark-Plug.
PulstarŪ Pulse Plugs are the first technological advancement in Spark-Plug design in over 100 years. Based on the proven science of Pulsed Power derived from Electrodynamics with the close cooperation of Sandia National Laboratories.

Last edited by IncognitoProducts; 12-06-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPMAKER View Post
Is it just me, or did this thread seem to start off in the middle of nowhere?
Nice bike, Sir. Do you have any questions about the Pulstar Pulse Plugs, that I may answer for you. I am a new vendor on the V-twin forum. Bob Dragich the Vendor Manager Powersports Division gave me a call today, saying there was a question on my page... so I logged in. I have a 1996 HD Dyna, with a 96" S&S Engine & my wife has a 2008 Fatboy... have been running the Pulstar Pulse Plugs in both bikes for almost 2 years now. I have had my bike since April 2001.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

So my capacitor guess was correct. The time delay would probably look like resistance to the ion srnsor. Not that a ness bike would notice. Neithr would a oem evo. Post some clear pics of your efi ffatboy spark plug ground straps
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
So my capacitor guess was correct. The time delay would probably look like resistance to the ion srnsor. Not that a ness bike would notice. Neithr would a oem evo. Post some clear pics of your efi ffatboy spark plug ground straps
http://www.pulstar-incognitoproducts...r-pulse-plugs/

Yes, the capacitor stores incoming ignition power.
Your plug is pulstar p/n he1it (iridium).

pulstar is priced in line with other quality Iridium plugs.

I have not been able to post pictures on here (a link to my website is above with the plug on it).
Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Did.t see ur plug.only new ones.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Did.t see ur plug.only new ones.
Sorry, I thought that was what you were asking. Do you want me to remove the plugs from my Fatboy take a pic & then post it?

Last edited by IncognitoProducts; 12-06-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Yes. Clear shot of the end. Thsnks
Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Yes. Clear shot of the end. Thsnks
OK, Sir I got it for you. Send me an e-mail: incognitoproducts@yahoo.com

and I will send you the picture (I do not know how to post a pic to the forum) I am OK with you posting it though. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement