Get your $$$ back for cam chain tensioners : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Other Items of Interest > *HOT TOPICS*
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 01:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

mr. breeze wants to know Dino or Syn?
Angry Get your $$$ back for cam chain tensioners

Those of you who have had to pay to repair the cam chain tensioner shoes, an engineering defect soon to be proven in a court of law; not a “wear issue” need to help. Y’all need to stand up for yourselves. I am starting a class action law suit to help Harley realize their design is, in fact, poor design and not a wear piece such as a tire, etc.

I have a very high level motorcycle attorney who will litigate “pro-bono”. He said Harley should list the “wear” parts instead of selling an inferior product. He has compiled a list of so-called wear parts that will shock you. Some items even effect safety!

What I need from y’all is just to give your name and phone number for now IF you have experienced problems with the aforementioned cam chain tensioners. No money will ever be needed. In fact, you will most likely receive money from HD for your troubles.

Why I am doing this is because my Softail is right at 38,000 miles. The dealer checked my oil and didn’t find any pieces of plastic. He concluded that I was probably ok but told me NOT to ride my bike anymore and to get Harleys’ new fubar tensioner with the “BIG” new oil pump. I have an extended warrenty so why did they not open it up and really check? Long story short…I own my own business which is thankfully holding it’s own in this suck a$$ economy. HOWEVER…I haven’t ridden in over a month because I can’t take 2K out of the budget for gear drive yet. It’s really bumming me out big time. I have ridden Harley’s for 30 years and they do this to their loyal clientel.. I would charge it but it is Harleys’ fault and damn it, somebody needs to draw the line. What next….buying a warrenty for a new bike and it only covers the fu$$ing frame.

Let’s hear from you guys. Most Harley ridders don’t put up with a lot of “sheet”…at least the ones I know don’t This syuff used to be called FACTORY RECALL!! C’mon HD
mr. breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Jonas wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. breeze View Post
Y’all need to stand up for yourselves.

Why I am doing this is because my Softail is right at 38,000 miles. The dealer checked my oil and didn’t find any pieces of plastic. He concluded that I was probably ok but told me NOT to ride my bike anymore and to get Harleys’ new fubar tensioner with the “BIG” new oil pump. I have an extended warrenty so why did they not open it up and really check? Long story short…I own my own business which is thankfully holding it’s own in this suck a$$ economy. HOWEVER…I haven’t ridden in over a month because I can’t take 2K out of the budget for gear drive yet. It’s really bumming me out big time. I have ridden Harley’s for 30 years and they do this to their loyal clientel.. I would charge it but it is Harleys’ fault and damn it, somebody needs to draw the line. What next….buying a warrenty for a new bike and it only covers the fu$$ing frame.

Most Harley ridders don’t put up with a lot of “sheet”…
This is bullshit from the dealer, don't put up with it. Pay him the two hours labor to check the tensioners(seems like they would want to check them anyway). If they are out of spec. They should replace them under your extended warranty. Your missing the summer.

In your words "Stand up for yourself".

I would find a different dealer if he said he checked the oils for signs of wear. I would feel a little better if he said he cut the filter open and looked.

I would not be part of the Law Suite. Unless it's failure under warranty and HD would not care of it.

Good Luck

Sherlyn Popelka, DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive

Last edited by Jonas; 07-24-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
They should have listed them as a maintance item. Two problems there. One a motor should not have maintenace item, and they seem to be inconsitant about failure. I've heard them failing under 20k. Well Harley isn't going to want to admit any of this.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

george248 wants to know Dino or Syn?
this should be a good thread
george248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Faast Ed wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Well Harley isn't going to want to admit any of this.
That's why I wouldn't trust THEM to be the ones to check them. Check them yourselves.

If warranty is involved, HD might call them "good".
If cash is involved, HD may call them "bad".
Conflict of interest.

Check them yourself, then you know.

As far as lawyers go, I think the worn tensioners would have to cause a catastrophic failure in order to get the courts to help.
Faast Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

mr. breeze wants to know Dino or Syn?
I thought this would have been a good thing for all of us and a good thread! Wrong!! Didn't get enough support or response. Not much from the other forums either. See how coporate America has most of us in a stupor!

I take my bike in Tuesday for gear drive cams, flowed heads, 95" kit with 255 cams, Timken bearing and most probably the SE race tuner.

When the attorney pulled the plug due to lack of response...I had to buckle down too. Besides I can't wait to ride that MF'er!!!!!!

Who says you can't have a happy ending.

Speaking of...2008 Click Baldwin who was a multiple HD dealer was killed riding to Sturgis by a car turning left as he attempted to pass. I'm sure y'all heard about Bruce Rossmeyer. Same type of accident going to the same location this year. I think I'll fly and rent an HD when I get there. My thoughts and prayers to the families and RIP.

Y'all ride safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mr. breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Marsh wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Those of you who have had to pay to repair the cam chain tensioner shoes, an engineering defect soon to be proven in a court of law; not a “wear issue” need to help. Y’all need to stand up for yourselves. I am starting a class action law suit to help Harley realize their design is, in fact, poor design and not a wear piece such as a tire, etc.

I have a very high level motorcycle attorney who will litigate “pro-bono”. He said Harley should list the “wear” parts instead of selling an inferior product. He has compiled a list of so-called wear parts that will shock you. Some items even effect safety!

What I need from y’all is just to give your name and phone number for now IF you have experienced problems with the aforementioned cam chain tensioners. No money will ever be needed. In fact, you will most likely receive money from HD for your troubles.

Let’s hear from you guys. Most Harley ridders don’t put up with a lot of “sheet”…at least the ones I know don’t This syuff used to be called FACTORY RECALL!! C’mon HD
Mr. Breeze, you don't have to pay $2,000 for gear drive. Well, maybe if you go to the dealer, but why don't you do what I did? I shopped Ebay and other places and found a Andrews 37G gear drive and also an independant wrench and have a total of $800.00 installed in my cams. Peace of mind brother. Surely worth $800.00
Marsh
Andrew's 37G cams
Heads by Big Boyz
Cometic Gaskets
PC III
94hp/104tq
Photobucket
Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

aharp wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

Jesus Christ! You God damn people complain about EVERYTHING don't you? Like Larry the Cable Guy said, "I'm going to sue Hustler Magazine for giving my wrist carpal tunnel". If manufacturer's had a nickel for every dumb ass that was going to sue them for something that was "not engineered correctly" then they would be able to quit making vehicles they'd be so rich. Let's sue GM cause the cup holders in the pickup trucks don't hold a 64oz Big Buddy, that's poor engineering if I've ever seen it So you've been riding for 30 years? I have no idea how you made it through the shovel head years dude...Why don't you sue them for needing a top end job every 30k miles? Quit your bitchin', sack up and fix the bike and go put on your 300 miles a year like all the other cry baby RUBS.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Big-G wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aharp View Post
Jesus Christ! You God damn people complain about EVERYTHING don't you? Like Larry the Cable Guy said, "I'm going to sue Hustler Magazine for giving my wrist carpal tunnel". If manufacturer's had a nickel for every dumb ass that was going to sue them for something that was "not engineered correctly" then they would be able to quit making vehicles they'd be so rich. Let's sue GM cause the cup holders in the pickup trucks don't hold a 64oz Big Buddy, that's poor engineering if I've ever seen it So you've been riding for 30 years? I have no idea how you made it through the shovel head years dude...Why don't you sue them for needing a top end job every 30k miles? Quit your bitchin', sack up and fix the bike and go put on your 300 miles a year like all the other cry baby RUBS.
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

2009 Ultra 103
Big-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

honorsdaddy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aharp View Post
You don't find it questionable when internal engine parts fail in under 50K miles?

Maybe 30 years ago this could be forgiven, but not today.

Yes, I fully expect the engine and transmission in my bike to hit 100K MINIMUM without doing anything but normal maintenance. If it doesn't then as far as I'm concerned, it is due to poor engineering.

Don't even think about calling me a RUB either my friend. That 100K miles wont take me but about 3-1/2 years to hit.
honorsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

aharp wants to know Dino or Syn?
The bottom line is this: it's a machine, PERIOD. These machines are designed by people. If there were no mistakes and no miscues then there'd be no need for the aftermarket (gear drives). If $hit didn't break there wouldn't be a service department in EVERY dealer out there. Yes, it could probably have been designed better, get over it. So could all those toyota gas pedals. So could the 06 dyna comp assy. What makes these machines OURS and better is fixing the factory flaws so that we don't have to crack them open every 30k miles. What's next a lawsuit cause they're too maintenance intensive? the price of their oil?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

sag57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
This ones hit a nerve , l told a mate who had done 24k on his 2000 dyna while we were on a run last week to have a look at his tensioners and bearings when he gets home , well you guessed it, it **** itself 50 miles from home. l've beem riding harleys for over 30 years there's a shovel and an09 EG in the shed and the only reason l bought the new one was l'am hoping that the tensioner issue is well and trually dead . You gotta admit you dont here of to many BMW's or Honda 's shitting themself at this low mileage,in this day and age you should not expect an internal engine componet to fail so readilly
sag57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
then oth,I have 80,000 on my 02,getting ready to pull the case to see if the runout i low enough to run a gear drive....i wonder if the synthetic oil i've ran in it since new made a difference?
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

brucen2son wants to know Dino or Syn?
boy I wish I'de seen this last year. Here is a Pic of my chain tensioners. I also had an inner cam bearing loose 7 rollers into the case. I kept telling the dealer to open the side case and check the tensioners, but they refused, saying they didn't hear anything and it's a waste of time. Service manager made the statement "what are you worried about, you have the extended warranty, just ride it till it dies" Major idiot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	59703   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	59704  
brucen2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sag57 View Post
This ones hit a nerve , l told a mate who had done 24k on his 2000 dyna while we were on a run last week to have a look at his tensioners and bearings when he gets home , well you guessed it, it **** itself 50 miles from home. l've beem riding harleys for over 30 years there's a shovel and an09 EG in the shed and the only reason l bought the new one was l'am hoping that the tensioner issue is well and trually dead . You gotta admit you dont here of to many BMW's or Honda 's shitting themself at this low mileage,in this day and age you should not expect an internal engine componet to fail so readilly
A few years ago BMW had a drive shaft problem...yah they F up too, but they fixed it
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement