V Rod known problems : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson V-Rod
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
cs1
IronButt

cs1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
V Rod known problems

I'm looking at getting a used VRSC. Are there any known problems or maintenance issues to be aware of? The price on used V Rods is really affordable. Also, are there any mods that you would recomend? I'm riding a 2003 FXDL now and to get anywhere near 110 horses would cost me a fortune.

Thanks in advance

Tim
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2005, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

pspez wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have an 2002 and the only problem that I had was with the fuel gauge. Thats it. I love my bike. I also have a ultra for me and my wife. Go buy one. They are a BLAST!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

speed4tu wants to know Dino or Syn?
I realize it isn't much but I have 7k miles on mine and have never had a problem.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

pasadenajim wants to know Dino or Syn?
You may want to check in over at www.v-rodforum.com . Thousands of V-Rod owners post over there. Read over several of the threads before you post your question. You may get an answer in the threads.

IMHO, the bike is generally considered a reliable ride, provided you don't go overboard on tweaking it. The biggest "problems" you'll face with a used V-Rod are: 1. low resale value; 2. small gas tank. You were already aware of these issues.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
I dont know from personal experiance but one of my friends had both of his wheels corrode. This was when the bike was about 1 year old. The dealer replaced both of them. He loves it otherwise.
TXCHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
cs1
IronButt

cs1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenajim
You may want to check in over at www.v-rodforum.com . Thousands of V-Rod owners post over there. Read over several of the threads before you post your question. You may get an answer in the threads.

IMHO, the bike is generally considered a reliable ride, provided you don't go overboard on tweaking it. The biggest "problems" you'll face with a used V-Rod are: 1. low resale value; 2. small gas tank. You were already aware of these issues.

That is why I was thinking of getting a used one. The price on the used market is vey affordable for a 120 horse Harley. I couldn't buy an 88ci motor bike and tweak it to 120 horse for under $15K- $20K
Tim

cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
FNG :)

cbwillpower wants to know Dino or Syn?
v-rod problems? ha ha

the mods r endless for the v-rod compare to when I got mines. You can solve any shortcoming with after market. The only one that has not been solve is fuel, but someone is designing auxallery tanks as the swing arms.
cbwillpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

funvrodguy wants to know Dino or Syn?
only problem I have is all the others are jealous LOL
funvrodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Jeffytune is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Hi.

I have looked into maybe getting one myself, but in the end I bought a Electra glide.

The only V-rod I have seen have a problem was one that came into my dealer's shop, a used rental bike that lost 3rd gear.
When it broke, since the engine and the trans use the same oil sump (common) it took out the transmission AND the engine.
It was like 6-7K to fix it.

Personally, if i were to buy one, i would have to know the old owner or just buy a new one.

2010 FLHTCUI
96 CID w/ the quiet 6 speed
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Harley quiet high flow 110 mufflers (Hey, they were free)
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

I have learned, Just say NO to Dyno's!
Member DooF Clenas , and proud of it.

Professional Rockat Surgen
Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
vrod is a fun ride. if ou wanna brag how fast it is, a well built 95 invh dyna is quicker. of course, if you have a long track,the vrod will overcome. but you have to ask yourself why you bought the vrod.

comfort= great
brakes= great
cool factor =great
performance= mediocre. you have to spool it up to go fast, and by that time, you are a target for the law.

light to light racing= you are gonna get beat
1/8 mile= you are gonna get beat
1/4 mile, you will probably win if you can get it out of the hole.
100 mph punch= you probably win.
twisties= a cheaper sporty might kick your butt!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

sinister dave wants to know Dino or Syn?
claydbal i would have to dissagree with you. if you are a good launcher the bike from lite to ligte is very quick. and I also dought that a sporty is going to out handle it. the v is a handleing machine. i know i have one. And you say that a well built 95" dyna is quicker. But if you read his post he don't want to get a new bike and have to build it to go fast he wants it to go fast when he takes it from the dealer. I have raced many sport bikes lite to lite and freeway pulls. I have impressed many of those guyz.
sinister dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
yes, it is impressive for an out of the box HD product. i merely gave an opinion based on my experiences. love the night-rod BTW!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
DJW
IronButt

DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this? DJW is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I loved my VR. I traded her for a Ultra because she didn't make a good bagger, but she is by far the best bike I've ever owned. I had an original '02 model, and there were some minor problems, I doubt they exist on an '07. And in my hands there was nothing with front foot pegs that could touch her in the straight aways. A few minor tweaks made this bike the smoothest sweetest bolt of lighting since Zeus first met Hera.

Yeah, I miss her. (teardrop)
Old 05-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

knuckleheader wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW View Post
I loved my VR. I traded her for a Ultra because she didn't make a good bagger, but she is by far the best bike I've ever owned. I had an original '02 model, and there were some minor problems, I doubt they exist on an '07. And in my hands there was nothing with front foot pegs that could touch her in the straight aways. A few minor tweaks made this bike the

smoothest sweetest bolt of lighting since Zeus first met Hera.Yeah, I miss her. (teardrop)

geez DJ, quoting Greek mythology. I'm jealous
knuckleheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

04ctd wants to know Dino or Syn?
they are fast.
you gotta think of it as a two-stroke dirt bike.

the ECM AFR is programmed for a BIG dip from about 4500~6500.

if you go with 2-2 exhaust (Rineharts)
you will need a HD race tuner (three RPM bands) to adjust the midrange rich enough, and keep the lower & upper good.

mine made 110 at the wheel: Race tuner, K&N filter, no lid.

you will definitely need a passenger back rest to keep the wife from sliding off.

i got ~100 miles to tank on my 04, so i put gas in every few days.
it got old putting gas in REAL quick, i would put gas in 2 or 3 times on a weekend.

it was AWESOME in the Georgia summers, no dieing of heat stroke like on a TwinCam.
my NightTrain would boil the fuel in the carb, and shut off. The NT was like riding a deep fat frier, the V-rod was always comfortable.

i want another one.
04ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement