V Rod "Touring"? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson V-Rod
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

macabre7393 wants to know Dino or Syn?
V Rod "Touring"?

Hello, V Twin Forum!

It's been a long time since I've been here, good to be back!

Last September I picked up an '04 VRSCA, low mileage and very clean from the original owner. He had added a few (Harley brand) extras, including crash bars, touring seat & backrest, luggage rack and saddlebags. Other than that, it was bone stock.

After I took possession I had my favorite shop pull the stock gas tank & install a 5.5 gallon, swap the stock exhaust for a Bassani Road Rage 2into1, K&N air filter and remap. The bike wasn't slow before but now it wants to jump out from under me! On tap for this winter is a Road Glide fairing and Cycle Vision hard bags.

The downside to this much fun is rather disappointing gas mileage. I realize it'll never match my homemade Twin Cam Softail but it would be nice to be able to pass a couple of gas stations between fill ups. I want to score a 30 tooth international tranny pulley, that'll lower rpms at cruising speed by approx. 400. I've also heard of a 70t rear pulley, but I've also heard that combining it with the 30t front pulley causes the motor to lug unacceptably.

Are there any other tricks I'm missing here? Staying on top of tire pressure and the rest of routine maintenance will help a bit. I don't suppose Baker or any of the other usual suspects make an overdrive six speed gear set. Any suggestions, experience and opinions are appreciated!
macabre7393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

slim_b_kool wants to know Dino or Syn?
No sir a 6 speed transmission is not available for the vrod.
slim_b_kool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

italianrick wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by macabre7393 View Post
Hello, V Twin Forum!

It's been a long time since I've been here, good to be back!

Last September I picked up an '04 VRSCA, low mileage and very clean from the original owner. He had added a few (Harley brand) extras, including crash bars, touring seat & backrest, luggage rack and saddlebags. Other than that, it was bone stock.

After I took possession I had my favorite shop pull the stock gas tank & install a 5.5 gallon, swap the stock exhaust for a Bassani Road Rage 2into1, K&N air filter and remap. The bike wasn't slow before but now it wants to jump out from under me! On tap for this winter is a Road Glide fairing and Cycle Vision hard bags.

The downside to this much fun is rather disappointing gas mileage. I realize it'll never match my homemade Twin Cam Softail but it would be nice to be able to pass a couple of gas stations between fill ups. I want to score a 30 tooth international tranny pulley, that'll lower rpms at cruising speed by approx. 400. I've also heard of a 70t rear pulley, but I've also heard that combining it with the 30t front pulley causes the motor to lug unacceptably.

Are there any other tricks I'm missing here? Staying on top of tire pressure and the rest of routine maintenance will help a bit. I don't suppose Baker or any of the other usual suspects make an overdrive six speed gear set. Any suggestions, experience and opinions are appreciated!
I have an 02 A it came with a 30 tooth pulley . I have no problems lugging the engine. I do want to put a 26 or 28 tooth pulley on mine gas mileage is not my cocern as well as rop end. I do want off the line acceleration
italianrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Markk9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
You should be about to go 140 miles between tank full. I can do that with my 11 NRS.

Retired Eagle Driver.............Long Live the Eagle.

Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

RustyG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your problem is the V-Rod engine is a racing engine not built for low rpm touring. Its best performance is above 4000 rpms. below that you will be susceptible for lugging. if you are not careful your attempts to increase the gas mileage by reducing the rpm's can hurt the engine immeasurably.
Your best bet is to find a competent tuner, maybe add a TTS Master tune or a power commander autotune device.

John

2002 Road King Classic w. 103" Stroker
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA (Gone but not forgotten)
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

boscoe wants to know Dino or Syn?
I get about 180 miles per fill up on my 2012 NRS with a dyno tune, Akrapovic titanium exhaust (saves 30 pounds) and a cafe-racer style fairing. I commute to work 43 miles each way (86 miles total door-to-door) @about 75-80 mph on an Interstate and must refuel every other day on my return home. I'd say a total of 6 of those miles (RT) are on regular streets.
Also gas mileage seemed to improve as the bike got older. Now over 10 K miles.
As for blaming poor fuel economy on the VR being a "racing" engine, I ain't buying it.
My in-line four 2011 Honda CBR 1000RR literally IS a racing bike - set up for the track, not stock - had still gets better fuel economy than the H-D. So does my V-Twin water cooled Ducati 848 Evo Corse SE, which puts out more HP stock than the NRS.
The V=Rod's enemies, in my opinion, are weight and wind resistance.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by boscoe; 12-09-2012 at 08:23 AM.
boscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

RustyG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoe View Post
I get about 180 miles per fill up on my 2012 NRS with a dyno tune, Akrapovic titanium exhaust (saves 30 pounds) and a cafe-racer style fairing. I commute to work 43 miles each way (86 miles total door-to-door) @about 75-80 mph on an Interstate and must refuel every other day on my return home. I'd say a total of 6 of those miles (RT) are on regular streets.
Also gas mileage seemed to improve as the bike got older. Now over 10 K miles.
As for blaming poor fuel economy on the VR being a "racing" engine, I ain't buying it.
My in-line four 2011 Honda CBR 1000RR literally IS a racing bike - set up for the track, not stock - had still gets better fuel economy than the H-D. So does my V-Twin water cooled Ducati 848 Evo Corse SE, which puts out more HP stock than the NRS.
The V=Rod's enemies, in my opinion, are weight and wind resistance.
Hope this helps.
Didn't mean to imply because it is a racing engine it will get poor mileage. My 2007 gets 36-40 mpg depending on how heavy the hand on the throttle is. A good tune will go far also.

John

2002 Road King Classic w. 103" Stroker
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA (Gone but not forgotten)
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

snake charmer wants to know Dino or Syn?
My wife at 90lbs will get low to mid 40's on her '08 road rod, me weighing in at 200 only get high 30's on mine. I'm happy with our mileage.
snake charmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.