Windshield vs Batwing Fairing? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

lilfatboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Windshield vs Batwing Fairing?

Looking to you all to help me out. Bought a new Fatboy and I love it. That is until I have to ride for more then an hour straight at highway speeds and the wind kicks my a**. Hate the look of windshields myself but really like the look of the Speed Glide short shield on the batwing. As far as preference to comfort do you all see any big difference between a windshield (i.e. Road King, Softail Deluxe, etc) versus the Batwing? Thinking hard about trading my bike in for a Street Glide.
lilfatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2006, 01:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

tackleberry1145 wants to know Dino or Syn?
My last scooter was a Road King with the regular sized windshield..nice, kept off a good deal of rain and wind (along with the bugs).

I can tell ya what tho, after riding with the batwing on my ultra, I don't know if I can go back to a regular windshield again. It really keeps the rain/wind off of you. I can tell the biggest difference in how much rain/wind it keeps off of my hands!
tackleberry1145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2006, 01:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
I really wanted a RK, I like the chrome headlight nacelle, the detachable windshield. I like the street glide or the road glide, I like saddlebags, but do not want a tourpak back there all the time, and I really don't have a safe place for a $1000 box. The street glide is really sharp looking and the road glide is the easiest to drive long distance.
When I bought the RK, I thought that I would only use the windshield sometimes. I now have 2, 1 low one for local runs, and a tall one for overnighters. I got spoiled, use you windshield and you will too.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2006, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

bountyhunter wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ride all day with a Batwing, stereo, gauges, quick change shields, fairing mounted mirrors, deflectors...go for the Street Glide!

bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2006, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

FLHP wants to know Dino or Syn?
I loved my Road King, and pulled the large shield to bomb around town. Riding double, my wife liked the tall shield, shorter ones blaster her sitting a little higher.

I addapted quick to the bat wing though. The biggest thing for me is it keeps the bugs (grasshoppers and stuff) off my knuckles, and their guts off my levers.
FLHP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Maico wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had a Road King Custom, and tried different height HD windshields. The taller the better as far as wind protection. The shorter windshields looked better. The nice thing with with the Road King is, it's easy to remove the windshield.
I bought a Street Glide last year, I experimented with different height wind deflectors also. Tried the short stock one and the 6" HD and a Fast Aire 8", I liked the 6" best. But I guess that would depend on a person height.
The Street Glide Fairing provides alot more wind protection and the Gauges and radio are nice to have. However another plus for the Street Glide is the Hard Saddlebags. There more secure than the soft bags on the Road King.
One more thing that I like about the hard bags, over the leather bags is the maintenance required with leather. To clean and condition the leather is quite time consuming.
Maico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2006, 03:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Well talked to the dealer and they have a Street Glide I can demo so hopefully that will help me further with my decision. Talked to them about trading in my bike and the salesman said they probably will make me eat all the engine work. If that is the case you might see me on a Street Glide and a SE Stage II 103" on ebay. Think I rather pay the labor to have them put the bike back to 96" and keep the 103" kit then let them have it for free.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
eatin' it

Dude, you are really jonesin' for a batwing equipped bike, aren't ya? While I personally think the street glide is the coolest thing outta HD in a while (except for my personal fav, the 04 SEEG in orange/black), to compare a "normal" HD detachable windshield to a batwing isn't really equal. The windshield has the aerodynamics of a friggin brick compared to the batwing. This was most noticable when running against the wind. I ended up taking off the windshield and selling it on e-bay. I still think the detachable dragonfly is the ticket as opposed to trading your bike in and eatin' all your extras...not to mention the PITA of it all. With the dragonfly equipped fat boy, the only real difference is the saddlebags. You'd have the tunes and the ability to take it off in a few mins if you saw fit. JMHO. Good luck in whatever direction you choose.
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2006, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Yeah I guess I have to admit I am. Problem is I didn't even look at them when I bought my bike, had my mind set on a Softail and that was that. Now that I have been riding my bike I find out how more practical and useful a bagger would be for my situation. I'll see what the dealer says about trading in my bike. If it is something ridiculous then I will keep my Fatboy and just look for an older bagger for sale somewhere.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you want a Harley with wind protection that handles well, get a road glide. The fairing is frame mounted and handles much better than a batwing. there is also more room in front of you, you don't feel closed in.
Personally, I don't care for the looks, since I really wanted The big flh headlight bezel, but this bike is the best handling of the bunch, you can add a tourpak if you want.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2006, 10:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
"Jane you ignorant slut!"

ceraaa42 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you're going to make a change, you might want to look at the e-glide standard. Just does not have as much fluff as the street glide. Don't get me wrong, I think the street glide is the coolest bike out there. But you can save a ton of money on the std. It's the best buy for the money in my opinion.

BTW, the touring bikes handle so much better than a softail I'm amazed. I had a 06 Heritage, sold it and bought the eglide. I would have saved a ton if I'd have just bought one right out. I guess it's the learning curve.

Chris
SE255 cams
SE Air cleaner
SERT
Fatcat Quiet baffle
Bagger brace
Dyno report; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/dr...et-baffle.html

"Ya fargin' sneeky bastage!" Roman Troy Moronie

43 member
ceraaa42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2006, 10:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
<><

PR3VS56 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66paul
If you want a Harley with wind protection that handles well, get a road glide. The fairing is frame mounted and handles much better than a batwing. there is also more room in front of you, you don't feel closed in.
Personally, I don't care for the looks, since I really wanted The big flh headlight bezel, but this bike is the best handling of the bunch, you can add a tourpak if you want.
This is the darn truth. If you like the highway, do yourself a favor and take a ROad Glide to 75mph for at least 10 minutes BEFORE you buy anything. I sold my RK after my first RG ride because of the handling and all the reasons mentioned above. It handles exceptionally well -- virtually unaffected by the wind change when you pass a semi. It's the only HD with frame mounted fairing, which makes all the difference. The more I ride it, the more I want to just go and go.

'05 FLTRI, totaled 10/17/08.
105tq/107hp

'00 FLHRCI, sold.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Fruit of the Spirit

Living under God's grace. Forgiven, not perfect.

Last edited by PR3VS56; 12-16-2006 at 10:22 PM.
PR3VS56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2006, 08:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

Rode a 07 Street Glide Today!!

I rode a 07 SG today equipped with a prototype air ride and motor/trans/frame stabilization device. All I can say is WOW. The air ride and anti-wobble device I can't speak of except for it has a sweet ride and NO fat chick wobble or slop on the freeway. The rest of the package with the 96" motor (with Bassani true duals-everything else stock) and six-speed combo....I too found a great candidate for a next bike!!! The bike pulls way nice all through the gears. Friggin' awesome to be riding on the freeway at 75-80 mph and pop it into 6th and fly. Bat wing felt like I had remembered it to feel. Real comfortable ride...lilfatboy....perhaps you SHOULD bail on the fatboy and change your call sign to lilSTREETGLIDE! I was in a way trying to dissuade you to getting rid of the fatboy...but I'd say trade away. I really dig it if you can tell. My other buddy BIGHARLEYDOG.... if you're readin' this...I just found your NEXT bike too. Swwwweeeeeettttt!
Later, All, Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
Old 12-18-2006, 03:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bdBagr
I rode a 07 SG today equipped with a prototype air ride and motor/trans/frame stabilization device. All I can say is WOW. The air ride and anti-wobble device I can't speak of except for it has a sweet ride and NO fat chick wobble or slop on the freeway. The rest of the package with the 96" motor (with Bassani true duals-everything else stock) and six-speed combo....I too found a great candidate for a next bike!!! The bike pulls way nice all through the gears. Friggin' awesome to be riding on the freeway at 75-80 mph and pop it into 6th and fly. Bat wing felt like I had remembered it to feel. Real comfortable ride...lilfatboy....perhaps you SHOULD bail on the fatboy and change your call sign to lilSTREETGLIDE! I was in a way trying to dissuade you to getting rid of the fatboy...but I'd say trade away. I really dig it if you can tell. My other buddy BIGHARLEYDOG.... if you're readin' this...I just found your NEXT bike too. Swwwweeeeeettttt!
Later, All, Tim
I called a buddy up in WI and told him my dilema. Said a friend of his up there bought a fatboy and then went out riding with another friend who had a SG. After swapping bikes at the half way point on the ride the first dude was sold and traded his fatboy in the very next day. Trying to figure out if I were to trade for the Electra I would save some money initially and then do all the extras later.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

Street Glide

I guess it depends on what your tastes are....I really like the stripped down look of the SG. I would pay the extra to have the radio, the clean front fender, the rear fender extension etc. That's all part of the Street Glide appeal. You park a SG next to a Electra Glide STD and the difference is pretty apparent. As I stated previously...I REALLY like the bike. With a little tweaking and personalization...I could have one of these! After my last post yesterday, my buddy (whos doing the air ride/handling mods) and I went for another QUICK blast thru the freeway to San Bernardino...and I mean quick. The 07 SG spanked my 2000 RKC EVERY time we went WFO. My bike is equipped just as his w/ true duals-just the 88" 5 speed combo. It would pull away with authority from the stoplight or blasting down the freeway. I could see doing some mild head work and bigger barrels (to 103) really working good. My only worry is living here in So Cal...is how ****ed will we/i be when smog checks for bikes actually happen. All things considered, I could live with just the pipes if that would slide by. We'll see. Good luck in your situation....
Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.