Road Glide Lower Fairing - Pre 04 vs Post 04 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
HJP
FNG :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 20
HJP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Road Glide Lower Fairing - Pre 04 vs Post 04

Does anyone know if the lower fairings for a Road Glide that were built before 2004 will work on a 2004 and up model. There are two different part numbers in the Harley catalog for Road GLide lower fairings. One for pre 04 models and one for post 04 models.

Thanks
HJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
GP
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 51
gpowell wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm working on installing a set of pre-04 on my 07 road glide. left side went on good, right side a bit tight. Found my fairing was mounted off center about 1/2", so adjusted that after I took the lowers off. After I repaint, I'll put them back on, I think I'll get them to work. Haven't seen the post 04 on a bike, but have seen the pre-04 on an earlier bike, the difference is the amount of space between the lower and the fairing, very tight fit on my bike. Not much help I'm sure, but I posted the same query b-4 I bought the lowers and got no reply, so it may be the best you get. I'd say if you can get a set of lowers cheap, go for it. Send me your email, when I remount after painting I'll send a photo.
gpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
HJP
FNG :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 20
HJP wants to know Dino or Syn?
I also have a new 07 road glide. I ride a lot during the fall and winter. Been using the soft lowers. They do not keep my feet as warm as the factory lowers that were on my classic that I traded for the road glide. When you say tight. Would that be the distance between the fairing mounting bracket that is clamped to the crash bar and the very end or vertical part of the crash bar. As the fairing would fit between the two.

Thanks
HJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 772
Roadie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool gpowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpowell
I'm working on installing a set of pre-04 on my 07 road glide. left side went on good, right side a bit tight. Found my fairing was mounted off center about 1/2", so adjusted that after I took the lowers off. After I repaint, I'll put them back on, I think I'll get them to work. Haven't seen the post 04 on a bike, but have seen the pre-04 on an earlier bike, the difference is the amount of space between the lower and the fairing, very tight fit on my bike. Not much help I'm sure, but I posted the same query b-4 I bought the lowers and got no reply, so it may be the best you get. I'd say if you can get a set of lowers cheap, go for it. Send me your email, when I remount after painting I'll send a photo.

Pretty interesting point about finding your fairing about 1/2" off center. I wonder if the same guy built my bike becase the fairing on my RG was also off. I put the post 04 lowers on my 05 RG. Attached is a pic.
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 61
jlelliott wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought lowers with glove boxes when I bought my 05 Vivid Black FLTRI. I am going to get an 07 FLHX and will be selling them. PM me if interested. (excuse the blatant promotion)

For what it is worth, here in Alabama I only used them about four months of the year. They are great during the colder/wetter months and I will be getting another set when I trade up. I agree that they are more efficient than the soft lowers although not quite as convenient.

Does anybody know whether the FLTRI lowers can be mounted on an FLH model? If so perhaps I need to look into that possibility.
jlelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rockwall, Texas
Posts: 308
Dale wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlelliott
I bought lowers with glove boxes when I bought my 05 Vivid Black FLTRI. I am going to get an 07 FLHX and will be selling them. PM me if interested. (excuse the blatant promotion)

For what it is worth, here in Alabama I only used them about four months of the year. They are great during the colder/wetter months and I will be getting another set when I trade up. I agree that they are more efficient than the soft lowers although not quite as convenient.

Does anybody know whether the FLTRI lowers can be mounted on an FLH model? If so perhaps I need to look into that possibility.
I'm interested in the lowers. Give me a call at 214-725-9783 or e-mail me at kruzer@cebridge.net

Dale
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 772
Roadie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lightbulb jlelliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlelliott

Does anybody know whether the FLTRI lowers can be mounted on an FLH model? If so perhaps I need to look into that possibility.
They might fit, maybe you can bring them to your local stealer and size them up on an FLH. But I am thinking there may be a difference since the two fairings are different.

Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 61
jlelliott wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie
They might fit, maybe you can bring them to your local stealer and size them up on an FLH. But I am thinking there may be a difference since the two fairings are different.

Yeah, I need to do that. I don't believe the shape of the fairing would be a problem, but the attaching hardware might be. The FLTRI Lowers are designed to attach to the rear of the Fairing Support Brackets and the FLH Lowers attach to the Engine Guard top and bottom. I need to see if the FLH attaching hardware can be retro-fitted to the FLTRI Lowers.
jlelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
(C)2001-2012 V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved (C)2001- V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum