Road Glide Lower Fairing - Pre 04 vs Post 04 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
HJP
FNG :)

HJP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Road Glide Lower Fairing - Pre 04 vs Post 04

Does anyone know if the lower fairings for a Road Glide that were built before 2004 will work on a 2004 and up model. There are two different part numbers in the Harley catalog for Road GLide lower fairings. One for pre 04 models and one for post 04 models.

Thanks
HJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
GP

gpowell wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm working on installing a set of pre-04 on my 07 road glide. left side went on good, right side a bit tight. Found my fairing was mounted off center about 1/2", so adjusted that after I took the lowers off. After I repaint, I'll put them back on, I think I'll get them to work. Haven't seen the post 04 on a bike, but have seen the pre-04 on an earlier bike, the difference is the amount of space between the lower and the fairing, very tight fit on my bike. Not much help I'm sure, but I posted the same query b-4 I bought the lowers and got no reply, so it may be the best you get. I'd say if you can get a set of lowers cheap, go for it. Send me your email, when I remount after painting I'll send a photo.
gpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
HJP
FNG :)

HJP wants to know Dino or Syn?
I also have a new 07 road glide. I ride a lot during the fall and winter. Been using the soft lowers. They do not keep my feet as warm as the factory lowers that were on my classic that I traded for the road glide. When you say tight. Would that be the distance between the fairing mounting bracket that is clamped to the crash bar and the very end or vertical part of the crash bar. As the fairing would fit between the two.

Thanks
HJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Roadie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool gpowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpowell
I'm working on installing a set of pre-04 on my 07 road glide. left side went on good, right side a bit tight. Found my fairing was mounted off center about 1/2", so adjusted that after I took the lowers off. After I repaint, I'll put them back on, I think I'll get them to work. Haven't seen the post 04 on a bike, but have seen the pre-04 on an earlier bike, the difference is the amount of space between the lower and the fairing, very tight fit on my bike. Not much help I'm sure, but I posted the same query b-4 I bought the lowers and got no reply, so it may be the best you get. I'd say if you can get a set of lowers cheap, go for it. Send me your email, when I remount after painting I'll send a photo.

Pretty interesting point about finding your fairing about 1/2" off center. I wonder if the same guy built my bike becase the fairing on my RG was also off. I put the post 04 lowers on my 05 RG. Attached is a pic.
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

jlelliott wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought lowers with glove boxes when I bought my 05 Vivid Black FLTRI. I am going to get an 07 FLHX and will be selling them. PM me if interested. (excuse the blatant promotion)

For what it is worth, here in Alabama I only used them about four months of the year. They are great during the colder/wetter months and I will be getting another set when I trade up. I agree that they are more efficient than the soft lowers although not quite as convenient.

Does anybody know whether the FLTRI lowers can be mounted on an FLH model? If so perhaps I need to look into that possibility.
jlelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Dale wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlelliott
I bought lowers with glove boxes when I bought my 05 Vivid Black FLTRI. I am going to get an 07 FLHX and will be selling them. PM me if interested. (excuse the blatant promotion)

For what it is worth, here in Alabama I only used them about four months of the year. They are great during the colder/wetter months and I will be getting another set when I trade up. I agree that they are more efficient than the soft lowers although not quite as convenient.

Does anybody know whether the FLTRI lowers can be mounted on an FLH model? If so perhaps I need to look into that possibility.
I'm interested in the lowers. Give me a call at 214-725-9783 or e-mail me at kruzer@cebridge.net

Dale
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Roadie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lightbulb jlelliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlelliott

They might fit, maybe you can bring them to your local stealer and size them up on an FLH. But I am thinking there may be a difference since the two fairings are different.

Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

jlelliott wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie
They might fit, maybe you can bring them to your local stealer and size them up on an FLH. But I am thinking there may be a difference since the two fairings are different.

Yeah, I need to do that. I don't believe the shape of the fairing would be a problem, but the attaching hardware might be. The FLTRI Lowers are designed to attach to the rear of the Fairing Support Brackets and the FLH Lowers attach to the Engine Guard top and bottom. I need to see if the FLH attaching hardware can be retro-fitted to the FLTRI Lowers.
jlelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement