Road King lower leg installation help : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

DWhite wants to know Dino or Syn?
Road King lower leg installation help

I was wondering if there was anyone aound the Dayton, ohio area that has swapped out their lower legs and could help me do mine (RK custom '04)?
I bought some chrome lowers about 1 1/2 years ago and I have never gotten around to putting them on. I read some guides on how to do it but I am still a bit skeptical doing it myself. I am one of those who do not follow directions well

Anyways, if anyone has any experience on this and wouldnt mind helping me out I would appreciate it. I can bring the bike over or whatever.

Thanks!

Last edited by DWhite; 05-30-2006 at 11:06 AM.
DWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
TBo
IronButt

TBo wants to know Dino or Syn?
You might try a search, there was some do it you self tips and procedures. However, spend a couple of hours of shop rates at an independent shop and get it done, done right, and if something goes wrong, the mechainic can deal with it. Just my
TBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

BigMike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Buy the HD Service Manual for your bike. It will walk you right through the entire swap. It will probably take you an entire day to do them. It isn't anything that is difficult to do, just time consuming.

You have to remove the Nacelle, front wheel, brake calipers, front fender. Drain the oil from the legs. Drop the forks out of the triple trees. To take them apart, you need to buy a GOOD set of large angled snap ring pliers. The only other special tool you should need (if I remember correctly) is a torque wrench and a long allen wrench socket (can't remember what size).

Again, its a lot of work but none of it is very difficult. Just be glad you don't have a EG. Then you'd have to deal with the fairing.

If it sounds like too much work, shop a couple dealers in your area for a price to change them out. If you bought just the lower legs (they have front end kits now), don't forget the chrome drain plugs, front wheel spacers, and lower leg covers.

Good luck.
Paint By Attitude Custom Painting
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

hdbrad wants to know Dino or Syn?
I found this tool on eBay "MOTORCYCLE TOOLS HARLEY FORK SEAL INSTALLATION TOOL". Allows installation of lower legs without having to remove nazelle or batwing. As stated buy service manual and study install. Should work.
Andrews 37G cams
V&H ProPipeHS
hdbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoldbike
Buy the HD Service Manual for your bike. It will walk you right through the entire swap.
I have a 2000 Road King manual. Does anyone know if the '04 forks are the same as they were in 2000? Will the manual and steps still be accurate in the manual?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Huge Member

fourstar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here's a step-by-step for a RK. http://groups.msn.com/ToddsHarleyPix...eforkswap.msnw I did my own on my Heritage, (basically the same) and the only unusual tool you need is the 6mm long allen in 3/8 drive to get the lower screws out. An impact wrench is useful for removing them to keep the leg from spinning. I used split PVC pipe to install the seals. As stated above, the shop manual is a "must have" if you're going to be doing your own work. I wouldn't use a manual from a different model or year.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks, I looked at that link a couple years ago and it is very helpful. I have all the tools necessary to complete the job. At least I think so.
As far as the manual is concerned, I dont think a while lot has changed on the Road Kings in the last number of years so I am not real concerned with using an older model manual for most things. I do want to verify the fork's are the same though. If they are not then a link from a 2003 RK will not help much either. Know what I mean?

Thanks

Last edited by DWhite; 05-30-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

bountyhunter wants to know Dino or Syn?
I paid a guy $40 to do my lower fork sliders and assisted. Took him a little over an hour, tools and know-how. Not a project I wanted to tackle myself, for that price! Put on the floating rotors when the wheel was off and swapped fenders.

Last edited by bountyhunter; 05-30-2006 at 11:53 AM.
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to remove the bolt at the bottom of the fork legs? The manual says it would be best to use an air tool but I dont have one handy. Anyone have some ideas how to get some leverage on the bolt without the forks rotating on me?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have put them in a vice with a set of rubber softjaws. It has always worked for me. Some times if you don't have an air gun, you can use an allen key with a wrench on it to get the extra leverage. Hope that helps....
TXCHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks, I was able to get it. I wasnt sure if I could take them out after I had the whole leg off or not. I ended up putting a metal rod through the caliper holes while the legs were still on the bike. That prevented it from spinning on me. Now to figure out the next step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement