Fairings: Fork vs. Frame mounted : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

81wildcat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fairings: Fork vs. Frame mounted

Hello everyone,

Forgive me if this topic has been posted before but I rarely venture into the
Touring section. I normally hang out in the softail area. Anyway, I am considering the possibility of getting a "bagger". I like the entire Harley line but my favorites are the Road Glide and the Street Glide. I am leaning in favor of the Road Glide however. What I want is for you all to tell me the differences (Pros and Cons) between the fork mounted fairing and the frame mounted fairing. I don't really want a comparison of the bikes themselves, but I do want to all of your experiences with these types of fairings so if that means a head to head comparison of the different bikes thats cool.
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2006, 05:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Cster888 wants to know Dino or Syn?
batwing fairing

well... i say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When I bought my 05 Ultra Classic I was torn on that question. I have rode for a long time and when I got the ability to get a brand new bike ( carpet apes let loose) I was looking specifically betweem the RG and the UC.

I rode the RG and for me I found the fairing staying straight while carving a corner a little distracting. Then rode hte UC and loved it. Best to ride them both to make up your mind. A ftame mounted fairing has less wind buffeting. But then i dont mind it at all.

www.patriotguard.org

"Man is the best computer ... and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor." - Werner Von Braun (1912-1977)
Cster888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
LAF
Nice to ride again :-)

LAF wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you want the Road Glide do it. You WILL not be sorry. I am biased, but ride is great and no matter what ANYONE says the fixed is far more stable then a fork mount, it is an engineering fact.

If you like the look, buy it.

On the forks turning and not the fairing, yes it is an adjustment, but you are supposed to be looking where you want to go, not at your bars and fairing.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

jsy224 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fairings: Fork vs. Frame mounted

I had a Low Rider, Road King and now a Road Glide. When I took delivery of the Glide, I didn't even think of the fairing and it just enjoyed the ride,"SWEET". Remember the bat wing adds weight to the front forks in my opinion not the best option for ride ability. However there are those that swear by the batwing and don't like the look of the Glide ( their only excuse for not riding one). If you can demo one of each, then make up your own mind. When it comes down to layin' down the money make sure it's the bike you like. When and if I purchase another bike it will be a Road Glide.
Jeff
jsy224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Infrequent Poster

dwarthog wants to know Dino or Syn?
It is most certainly an issue of preference, the Eglide folks don't care for the superior styling of the Road Glide at all, most likely a character defect of some sort , but they are still damn fine people in my book, I even ride with a few of them.

Seriously, you should give both a test ride and then decide.
dwarthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
0043--Licensed to Doof!

Geezer-Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Like they all said, to each his own. However, my ridding buddy has a road glide, he loves it. I have an electra glide classic and I love it. Now here's the big difference I've noticed. At speed the road glide is a little bit more stable due to the frame mounted fairing. In high winds, I tend to get buffeted around more than he, again due to the mounting of the fairings. I see you live in Texas. If you are located in an area that would be good for (heavens, don't condone it!) high speed freeway riding..... the road glide would be better at the higher speeds.

"The above posting is by no means an endorsement for or condoning high speed operations of a motor vehicle on public highways."
There. THAT should keep the lawyers (PTOOIE) happy.

I Doof, therefore I am.

D.F.F.D

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. THANK YOU.
Geezer-Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Snobal wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with the folks that suggested that you ride both --- then decide.

Having had bikes with both types of fairings, I can say that it really does not matter to me. Both styles work just fine.

Actually, when selecting a new bike, I use the "El Cheapo" approach. I simply list the other options I want on a new bike, then make a matrix showing the different possible models and the cost (parts and labor if installation is beyond my limited ability) to add or delete the options for each bike on the list. For example, if you want a chrome engine, tour pac and radio, you may find it far less expensive to get a classic rather than a standard, etc.

Last fall when I ordered my '06 Ultra, it was by far the most cost-effective solution to the options I wanted to try.

JMHO

Snobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Just a kid at heart

wydeglyde wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yup, go to a demo day and ride them both. Hopefully it will help you decide. Either way, you have a damn fine bike.

12 Road Glide Custom
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knower of Stuff

LittleBear wants to know Dino or Syn?
As Geezer Glide said, the big difference is the wind buffet effect of having the fairing mounted to the front end. It also adds weight to the front end which makes stearing a little different. The steering on a Road Glide will be lighter at slow speeds than on an Electra glide.
I have an Eletra Glide and just like the looks better, but recently, H-D has changed the lines of the Road Glide to make it's appearance flow better.
Ride them both, and decide. Both are excellent road bikes.

Ride Hard but Ride Safe.
There are more than 43 ways to make a Doof Loop.
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

bountyhunter wants to know Dino or Syn?
If there was no fork mount, then I would get the frame mount!

bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

OMoffat wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'am with Snoball on this. I have owned both and there really isn't that much difference in handling between the two that would cause any concern. I find that the electraglide fairing gives alot better protection especially for your hands on cold days. If you have to work on the Roadglide fairing its a royal pain to put back together, those friggin well nuts will drive anyone insane! For average joe rider like me, either bike works well for me it comes down to whatever floats your boat. good luck!
OMoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

zogorion wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would suggest riding both and seeing which you like better.
That being said, I didn't have the chance to ride an FLHT before I got my FLTR, and I don't regret it at all. I've heard the batwing protects you from the wind better because it has more surface area, and is physically closer to the rider than the sharknose, but I rather like the idea of my fairing staying put, keeping my forks and steering as light as possible.

I just wish Harley would come out with a Road Glide Ultra Classic. That way I wouldn't have to shell out umpteen thousand more dollars to get the creature comforts of an FLHTCU on my bike.

Barrett M82A1-Cleaning up the neighborhood 1,000 Meters at a time.
zogorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Alter Ego

Rock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogorion
That way I wouldn't have to shell out umpteen thousand more dollars to get the creature comforts of an FLHTCU on my bike.
That would be..FLHTCUI...it only comes with the "I". But as stated above. Both protect from the environments. I think the Batwing "looks" cooler. Just me. As far as high speed wind. You'd have to be a weakling for that to actually be significant to you, if you can hold 30lbs in your arms. I'm sure you'll be okay, so don't fall for the winds making the difference thing. It comes down to looks.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Alter Ego

Rock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarthog
It is most certainly an issue of preference, the Eglide folks don't care for the superior styling of the Road Glide at all, most likely a character defect of some sort , but they are still damn fine people in my book, I even ride with a few of them.

Seriously, you should give both a test ride and then decide.

Thanks for the love. For a minute there. I thought you were saying the Batwing riders are has beens.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

shoveler wants to know Dino or Syn?
For Iron Butts, the Roady is the only way to go. The extra weight of the radio, speakers and fairing on the bars verse the frame takes it toll on long distance rides. Willy B and wife always ride their Road Glides to events and I am sure he has a barn full of the other models.
shoveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement