Mirrors- can't see anything! : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Moosemeat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mirrors- can't see anything!

Maybe you guys can give me some advice here. On my new Road Glide, the mirrors cannot be adjusted so that I can see anything useful in them. I replaced the stock mirrors with round flame mirrors and they are better, but not much. I see on the HD accessory web pages that HD has mirror extenders (PN 91907-87) and replacement long-stem mirror stems (PN 91880-91T). The mirror stems are cheaper and would seem a better choice as they eliminate a joint and are one piece. Will these stems fit any HD mirror or only the longstem styles in the catalog? I know this isn't the most pressing question ever posted here but the useless mirrors are about the only thing I don't like about the new RG, and it makes me really nervous not being able to see traffic approaching from the rear at stoplights.
Moosemeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

dmlong wants to know Dino or Syn?
I changed mine over to the long stems. All I could see in the stock mirrors was my shoulders..
dmlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

FLHRIDER wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good info, my new 06 bagger is the same way see more of me than the road. Will try the longer stems.
FLHRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Alter Ego

Rock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosemeat
Maybe you guys can give me some advice here. On my new Road Glide, the mirrors cannot be adjusted so that I can see anything useful in them. I replaced the stock mirrors with round flame mirrors and they are better, but not much. I see on the HD accessory web pages that HD has mirror extenders (PN 91907-87) and replacement long-stem mirror stems (PN 91880-91T). The mirror stems are cheaper and would seem a better choice as they eliminate a joint and are one piece. Will these stems fit any HD mirror or only the longstem styles in the catalog? I know this isn't the most pressing question ever posted here but the useless mirrors are about the only thing I don't like about the new RG, and it makes me really nervous not being able to see traffic approaching from the rear at stoplights.
This might be a bit of overkill. But I'd say, get an Ultra.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

GreatEscape wants to know Dino or Syn?
Amazing...

The Motor Company is still puttingf those useless short stems on the RG mirrors. My '01 had that problem. You'd hafta be purty durn skinny to see past your own self. I replaced with KuryAkyn.
"For too long, the world was paralyzed by the argument that terrorism could not be stopped until the grievances of terrorists were addressed. The complicated and heartrending issues that perplex mankind are no excuse for violent, inhumane attacks, nor do they excuse not taking aggressive action against those who deliberately slaughter innocent people." óRonald Reagan
GreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
void** ppVoid;

FLHRI-Tom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_Steady
This might be a bit of overkill. But I'd say, get an Ultra.
Way overkill Rock!!! Not everyone wants to ride what you ride.

As to the Road Glide, I had to get the long stem mirrors, I couldn't see anything exceptin my shoulders.

" In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. "
-- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
FLHRI-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

KRATC wants to know Dino or Syn?
The mirror problem is not limited to Road Glides. I have a 2006 Ultra, on the first ride the second thing I noticed was I could not see behind me, just my shoulders in the mirror. IMO the long stems look like rabbit ears & kind of gawky. I'm thinking of going to the faring mount mirrors There are quite a few baggers around here that have the fairing mounts & everyone I talked to liked them. Gives the bike a clean streamlined look. Of course the huge rabbit ear looking antenna need to go too.
Oh yeah, the first thing I noticed on that first ride, doggy EPA engine.
KRATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Alter Ego

Rock wants to know Dino or Syn?
You guys must be fuggin BIG!! I'd hate to see you in a dark alley on a bad day for you. At 6'0, 200lbs I can see just fine.

Last edited by Rock; 03-08-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Rock- I sat on an Ultra- couldn't see anything outta those mirrors either. And yeah, as a former college shot-putter at 300bs I am a little bigger than the average guy! I wear a size 56 jacket.

Good ideas here but nobody has answered my original question- can I just replace my mirror stems with those extra-long ones? Or do I have to replace the whole mirror?
Old 03-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

Wizwill wants to know Dino or Syn?
usless stock mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatEscape
The Motor Company is still puttingf those useless short stems on the RG mirrors. My '01 had that problem. You'd hafta be purty durn skinny to see past your own self. I replaced with KuryAkyn.
On both my '04 Sporty and my '05 Dyna, one of the first things I did after i got the bikes was shitcan my short-stem stock mirrors and install HD long-stem mirrors. I had the "improved" batwing mirrors installed on the '06 EG before I pocked it up and I'm about to toss them in favor of some long-stem handlebar-mount pieces. I SEE fine with the batwing mounts and they DO streamline the bike's looks but they need constant adjusting (no way to tighten them up!).

Last edited by Wizwill; 03-08-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Wizwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

dmlong wants to know Dino or Syn?
Moosemeat, I had to replace the entire mirror assemblys. I got the teardrop style for about $35 each from Shumate H-D.
dmlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thanks to all who replied. I like my flame mirrors so I am going to try the mirror extensions first. Then, if that doesn't work, I'll go with the long-stem mirrors.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

youshomd wants to know Dino or Syn?
Get kuryakyn Mangams with the long stems. You can get 2 for less that $60, stick out farther than stock and look really nice. I have the ellipse mirrors, they are oval, mirrors are smaller, but still provide much better vision than stock.
youshomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

LavaKing wants to know Dino or Syn?
The sure fire fix is to put on some 16" apes and mount the mirrors on top.
LavaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

PirateII wants to know Dino or Syn?
The guy that designed the mirrors did a great job. Then some idiot decided to mount them backwards. If you could switch sides they would be totally functional. As they are you get a nice wide angle to look at yourself and very little area to see where you need it.

P
PirateII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement