Handling/Ride with 18" or 21" Wheels : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rocket Jockey wants to know Dino or Syn?
Handling/Ride with 18" or 21" Wheels

Does anyone have any experience with 18" and/or 21" (front) wheels and tires on a Road Glide or Electra Glide, Road King. I am curious about how the ride and handling changes. Pics would be good too!!

Thanks,
Rocket Jockey
and soon to be more!!
Rocket Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

modes wants to know Dino or Syn?
not yet, but i will in 4 weeks....can't wait.
modes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

TLeath wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Jockey
Does anyone have any experience with 18" and/or 21" (front) wheels and tires on a Road Glide or Electra Glide, Road King. I am curious about how the ride and handling changes. Pics would be good too!!

Thanks,
Rocket Jockey
I don't have any experience with them on a touring bike but do on a Softail (FXSTI). The Softail will obviously handle different due to the rake angle but I really think the 21" front wheel is a much larger gyro. The effect on the bike is that it really likes to stand right up after a corner more so than my Ultra. Again, a lot of this is due to the different steering geometry between the two bikes but that 21" wheel has just got to have a more pronounced gyro effect on the bike. I'd be interested in hearing the results so post back if you actually do it.

Tom
TLeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

erich wants to know Dino or Syn?
Tom is right, even with my 18" wheels my front end likes to stand up coming out of the corners more.
erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

erich wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here you go

erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

bountyhunter wants to know Dino or Syn?
Daytona Street Glide

Bike will feel different with 18's. You can fit a 21 on the front but even Hogpro does not recommend it (clearance issues). Bigger rims look pretty sharp! I like the 16's and stock black rims for my bike, more of a fat hotrod look combined with the pipes. I say go with the 18's if ya like em. You can go as wide as 4.25 x 160 on the rear but again there is a potential clearance issue (Hogpro). Phil is the guy to talk to there for your particular application.

bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Flattopjohnny wants to know Dino or Syn?
Talking what kinda pipes are those, bounty hunter?

Looks real sharp-
Flattopjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Yup....paid my $15.00

vrod-NYC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had 21's on my Road King Custom

Had them on my Road King Custom. They looked awesome!!

But, the bike never handled the same. It did not take the corners well at all, and was very wabbly at slow speeds. It's a form/function issue that you have to weigh.

For me, it was actually one of the reasons I never quite fit my Road King Custom (from a feeling) standpoint.

Like I said....looks great but the bike will not handle even close to what you are feeling now which is a bike that the Moco spent $$$$$'s to perfect.

Take a look:

Harley-Davidson.......The King of the Road

2006 Vivid Black Road Glide
Blacked out:
Front End
Arlen Ness Big Sucker
Wheels
PM Brakes
Wild 1 Handlebars
Lights
Mirrors
Horn
Engine: 95" Dave Mackie (it's a beast!)
It never ends!

Ride Safe
vrod-NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

WaSEEG wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have to agree with what some of the others have said about the bike not handleing as well with 18" wheels. I ran 18 inchers on my RKC and couldn't figure out how my wife on her Heritage could keep up with me in the twisties. I put the stock wheels back on and all was well. There's no doubt the bike looked better with the 18" wheels but it just didn't corner as well.
Wild -1 575's
VPC
PCIII usb
WaSEEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
07', 04', 03', & 02

bedemonster wants to know Dino or Syn?
My buddy has an 18" on the rear and a 21" on the front of his 06 Road Glide. It rides like crap(handling wise). He's got a 113" and I've got a 95" with stock 16's. He can't keep up with me in the twisties, but tends to catch up when the road straightens out with his 113"
bedemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

rdking2005 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Interesting responses here... My scooter can hang with any bagger in any twisties. The handeling got much better at higher speeds. I run with about 6 buddies with baggers that have the 18 & 21 set-up and we all have the same concensus. Its your riding style that has a lot to do with it. It can be alittle squirly at real low (5-mile/hr) speeds. But believe me, this would never sway me to change it. Before I forget, The draw back for some may be that they don't like to "feel the road" through the bike. You'll feel it with this set up. Just my worth...
RD PORT BILLET HEADS
TUNED ON 89 OCTANE BY GMR PRESCOTT AZ
143/143 SQUARE= LOT'S OF FUN!!!

Last edited by rdking2005; 03-11-2006 at 07:47 AM.
rdking2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Just Above Idle

zenwee wants to know Dino or Syn?
To Each His Own

For what it's worth!!! I have 18"s front and rear and running Metzeler 880's. My experience is way improved handling with a slightly more sport bike feel. I'm running the new 150"x18 in the rear which improves low speed stability along with way more gription in the twisties. I'm running a 130"x18 in the front. I can stop at a light and hardly need to put my feet down seemingly. Also with the taller wheels and lower profile Metzelers my speedo is dead on and wouldn't consider going back to the Dunlops. Considering I wont run tires down to nothing tread my first set of Metzelers went 7k with fairly aggressive riding. Now understanding the Metz like higher psi on my second set I upped the air pressure to 49 psi rear and 44 psi front which should improve wear.
This wheel set was originally on an 03 Road King with 12k and 4k ago swapped to a Street Glide. Very Happy! Just my
DISCLAIMER Above views are in No Way those of V-Twin Forum or their affiliates. Views should be considered the opinions of the author. Results may vary. Side effects include Nausea Diarrhea and Vomiting. This TV offer is valid in some States. Sorry Tennessee

zenwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

turn55 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Love my 18 incher

Love them so much I put 18 inch wheels on both of my Road Kings (2001 & 2002) I have a Metzler 140 on the rear of both, a Metz 140 on the front of one, and a Metz 130 on the front of the other. I like the ride better myself. It was responsive and a tad lighter feeling. I liked that. And, it looks better too - lots better. Did I mention it looks better? Oh, and by the way it looks better.
turn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rocket Jockey wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback. Still not sure what I am going to do.

Flattopjohnny, I believe the pipes on Bountyhunter's bike are the Hard Krome 3" True Duals. http://www.hardkrome.com/hd/HDproduc...+%2885%2D94%29

Rocket Jockey
and soon to be more!!
Rocket Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Ehrgeiz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Love the handling...

The bike rides very well. I went with the 130 x 21 front and 160 x 18 in the rear. The speedo is right on as well. The bike sits just a hair higher towards the front with the low profile/taller wheel combo. At really really slow speeds, i could tell a little bit of a differance, but nothing on the sour side - just different. The rig is a little more "in touch" with the road regarding the ride firmness due to less rubber. Just drop the psi a notch or two. The front wheel has plenty of room left. The rear however, is a different story - not much room left, but it fits and has never rubbed. I did need to create a spacer (more like spreader) for the rear fender. The fender had some flex to it and would "lay" on the rubber. I used a couple of brackets from home depot, a nut and bolt, and made an pulling adjuster to keep the fender spread so it didnt rub. Works great.

Ehrgeiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement