Raked Road King? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2006, 05:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

DRIMNER1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
good luck then

8ball, you're like the Fonz...
DRIMNER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Premium Member

TipsyMcStagger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIMNER1
good luck then...
Thanks!

Tipsy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

EricEdelman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I found raked triple trees on some sidecar sites....

Specifically, Champion Sidecars and Liberty Sidecars (www.championsidecars.com and www.libertysidecars.com) respectively.

They're bolt on parts for FLH bikes, but come with warnings that they're only for sidecar use, I suspect for liablity issues.

The rake on these is 5 degrees or so, and they don't seem to mention anything about longer fork tube or changing the fender/brake mounts.
2008 Buell 1125R
2007 Honda Rebel (Wife's Training Bike)
EricEdelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

Friday1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Raked trees

The first bike I built was a 1960 Panhead. I had access to some sidecar trees and they added like 15 degrees to the rake. I also stretched the swingarm 4 ". I don't know why the guy with the raked trees says they are not for a 2 wheeled bike. Mine was very comfy and I toured with it extensively in the mid 70's. Personally, I think the raked RK is very cool. This is America, we can do whatever we want with our bikes. If I was building my blacked out turbo Road King for someone else to buy, I would have just chromed it out and put some fancy paint job on it so it would .....well you know.....blend in nicely! Friday,
Content in a sea of black and a whining turbo www.dyno-power.com
Old 02-02-2006, 11:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

dmax wants to know Dino or Syn?
I know you don't want the engineering side of this discussion, but you should consider this: Unlike most choppers, the FLH's has an offset balanced against the rake angle. This balance of offset and rake give you the compromise between low speed handling and high speed stability. I'm not saying don't do it, but for your safety you should consider that the FLH's are typically heavier than a chopper. Plus choppers tend to have an offset reversed of the FLH's, this compensates for the extreme rake angle. But they get away with this partly due to their lower weight.....

Reason why I bring this up? The roadking's mass is going to exagerate the heavy steering you'll feel with too much rake and the current offset. Might be doable, but you also might not like riding it.

One suggestion would be to look at the frontend of the Indian Chiefs. I haven't looked, but I think they have a little more rake and may not have as much offset as the Harley's? The Indian should be about closer in weight to your roadking. Maybe you could use those numbers as a starting point. At least it would be better than working off of a lighter weight chopper.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

fxrflh wants to know Dino or Syn?
Raked my FXR which is similar to the FLHT frame. 150 bucks for the indi to chop, wedge and weld. I did the dressing up of the welds and shot the paint and rebuilt the forks with 3" longer sliders.

Don't sweat the naysayers. Raked Road kings look cool. Your bike, your cash, your dreams - build what you want.

I'd suggest you check with indi's in your area that do a lot of raked frames.
Fork by franks sells the longer fork tubes for aroud 150. For 4 degress, 2" over should work good and for 6 degrees 3" should work.

Any more than that wont give you the look you want IMHO.

Just order up the forks, build them and install them on the bike, remove all the fenders, tanks, seat, bags, etc. truck it to the shop and have them chop it.

Take it home, clean up the welds, shoot it paint and bolt all the tins back up.

No way it costs 3 grand.
fxrflh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Premium Member

TipsyMcStagger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrflh
Raked my FXR which is similar to the FLHT frame. 150 bucks for the indi to chop, wedge and weld. I did the dressing up of the welds and shot the paint and rebuilt the forks with 3" longer sliders.
fxrflh...that's pretty much what I've got in mind. Thanks for the info.

Tipsy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Custom Builder

Clint50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hang in there,Tipsy. The majority of people on this site freak if it involves anything more than bolt-on.
I've often thought of adding some rake to the neck of my RK. Cool photos.
Clint50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

SteveK7m wants to know Dino or Syn?
Smile raked roak king

I have done two RK with about 36 degrees total with the stock triple trees. Bikes looked real good. Bike went down highway super good around town was different but nothing drastic. Used two inch longer fork tubes with 12 inch rear shocks. Only real negative was that it really made the bike ride a lot rougher. I think the rake was making the forks want to flex rather than work up and down. I even went to a lot softer front springs. Actually rode the bike a lot in colorado with wife on back. Like I said only drawback I found was it hurt the ride quality.. Steve
SteveK7m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Premium Member

VB05Custom wants to know Dino or Syn?

Here is a place that chops bagger frames, it was done on the above RK

www.wildbillscycles.com
VB05Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #26 (permalink)
Who, me?

Low_Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Holly criminy, that RK looks like a Southern Belle heading off to the dance!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
Infidel

wyodude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball
Looks pretty cool!

I agree. Too cool for school
Old 02-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
03FLHRI,84XLH,52ArielVHA

Archon wants to know Dino or Syn?
When I got my Liberty Sidecar I had them put the raked Triple Trees on and it makes turning the sidecar outfit much easier. Kind of looks neat also. Since I have converted the solo road king to a hack this was part of the package.
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

Some Guy wants to know Dino or Syn?
What I find hilarious is seeing the guys in the Honda accords with an 8" diameter exhaust pipe tip (that you can see the 1" exhaust pipe in the back of) who ALSO have a 12" diameter tach mounted on their dash obscuring the whole passenger side of the windshield. It's even better if they've got some 20 series tires on there and rock-hard suspension so the car bounces all over the place with the kid's head bouncing around like a bobble-head doll.

Thank God I got back from L.A. and don't have to see that junk anymore!
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #30 (permalink)
Infidel

wyodude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy
What I find hilarious is seeing the guys in the Honda accords with an 8" diameter exhaust pipe tip (that you can see the 1" exhaust pipe in the back of) who ALSO have a 12" diameter tach mounted on their dash obscuring the whole passenger side of the windshield. It's even better if they've got some 20 series tires on there and rock-hard suspension so the car bounces all over the place with the kid's head bouncing around like a bobble-head doll.

Thank God I got back from L.A. and don't have to see that junk anymore!
What does this have to do with raking the front end of a RK?
Advertisement