Drive Belt Adjustment : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2005, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

deanz02 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Drive Belt Adjustment

I don't have a Harley tension tool but I'm wondering if there's another way to check the belt tension. The reason I'm concerned is when I ride with my wife I get a oil leak from the transmission drive sproket. When I ride alone I don't so I'm assuming the belt is too tight and pulling on the sproket when we are two up. I have added air to the shocks and that dosn't seem to help.

I would just loosen it up but I have heard not to get it too loose. The Harley shop set the tension (where it's set now) when they put on a new rear tire for me.I have checked other bikes in the showroom and they feel just as tight as mine.

Anybody got a neet trick for adjusting these? Can they be set too loose and how loose is too loose? If it were chain drive it wouldn't slip no matter how loose it was so I'm wondering if this belt is the same.
deanz02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2005, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanz02
I don't have a Harley tension tool but I'm wondering if there's another way to check the belt tension. The reason I'm concerned is when I ride with my wife I get a oil leak from the transmission drive sproket. When I ride alone I don't so I'm assuming the belt is too tight and pulling on the sproket when we are two up. I have added air to the shocks and that dosn't seem to help.

I would just loosen it up but I have heard not to get it too loose. The Harley shop set the tension (where it's set now) when they put on a new rear tire for me.I have checked other bikes in the showroom and they feel just as tight as mine.

Anybody got a neet trick for adjusting these? Can they be set too loose and how loose is too loose? If it were chain drive it wouldn't slip no matter how loose it was so I'm wondering if this belt is the same.
I don't have any neat tricks for you, as mine's still in spec - but I bought the tool from Hd to do it myself. Cost $20.
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm Paid Up...

DR_DEUCE wants to know Dino or Syn?
I doubt that the added weight is doing this. Check the fluid level of the trans, I'm guessing it is overfilled...
If the dealer did the work, it's either overfilled or underfilled.
The leak is probably coming from the trans vent tube, top left of tranny.
DR_DEUCE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Hows your tranny dipstick look? Chrome peeled on my orginal, HD quality. I must have been abusing it. Tranny seal is leaking. Though I doubt that thin little chrome did it, but never know. Replaced with Bakers.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

kevdog442 wants to know Dino or Syn?
An Old Harley mechanic once told me that if you can twist the belt to vertical (straight up and down) then it's adjusted correctly. This was back in Evo days so I don't know if it holds true with current belts, but this guy is an excellent mechanic and I trust his judgement.
kevdog442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
0043--Licensed to Doof!

Geezer-Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdog442
An Old Harley mechanic once told me that if you can twist the belt to vertical (straight up and down) then it's adjusted correctly. This was back in Evo days so I don't know if it holds true with current belts, but this guy is an excellent mechanic and I trust his judgement.
My dealer says if you can twist the belt to vertical, 90 degrees, it is LOOSE. If you can NOT turn it to verticle, leave it alone. Get the tool, it's under 20 bucks. Keep it in spec and you won't go wrong.

I Doof, therefore I am.

D.F.F.D

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. THANK YOU.
Geezer-Glide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

deanz02 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks everybody. I guess I will buy a tool.

The tranny is not too full ( checked it level, hot) and it's for sure coming out of the shaft seal, not the vent.
deanz02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2005, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Restless

timbo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanz02
Thanks everybody. I guess I will buy a tool.

The tranny is not too full ( checked it level, hot) and it's for sure coming out of the shaft seal, not the vent.
It's more probable that it is your shifter shaft seal leaking and not the mainshaft. Get a small telescoping dental mirror and get a look at the bottom side of the shifter shaft and around the clevis. My seal is leaking for the second time. First time repaired under warranty and lasted about 12k miles. This time I ordered a gasket kit and shifter shaft seal from Cometic and I'm going to do the repair myself over the weekend. At least a quality seal will be in there when I'm done.

Oh and 3.37 gearing to make the labor worthwhile.

For what it's worth, I adjust my belt tension to 5/8" cold. That way when the pulleys heat up the tension on the belt will be just right. Not too loose, not too tight. IMO, the MOCO's spec of 3/16"-1/4" cold is wayyyy tight especially after the pulleys heat up. It's so tight you can pluck it like a guitar string.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
It looks like the shifter seal is leaking on mine too.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2005, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
LAF
Nice to ride again :-)

LAF wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide
My dealer says if you can twist the belt to vertical, 90 degrees, it is LOOSE. If you can NOT turn it to verticle, leave it alone. Get the tool, it's under 20 bucks. Keep it in spec and you won't go wrong.
This is what I was always told for a good pre ride check. Quick and easy way to tell if it needs attention.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Nomad55 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I adjusted my belt to specs according to the manual, and thought it was just too tight. Took it to a GOOD Harley dealer to see what he thought, and he promptly loosened it to almost what it'd been before. His opinion, (and I agree) was that the factory figure was just too damn tight.

Right? Wrong? I dunno, but I know I'm a lot happier now!
Nomad55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2005, 09:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
JRS
IronButt

JRS wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad55
I adjusted my belt to specs according to the manual, and thought it was just too tight. Took it to a GOOD Harley dealer to see what he thought, and he promptly loosened it to almost what it'd been before. His opinion, (and I agree) was that the factory figure was just too damn tight.

Right? Wrong? I dunno, but I know I'm a lot happier now!

I had the same experience. I adjusted mine to spec with the tension gage after replacing my tire. While riding two-up on a hot day (90's), the belt was making "groaning" sounds. I backed off the adjusters a bit and the noise went away.

John
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2005, 07:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
mfn
Lifetime Premium

mfn wants to know where he is and how he got here
If you grab the belt and twist to a 45 degree angle that is considered good. Anything less it is too tight. Anything more too loose.
mfn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2006, 07:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cheesehead

Unyalli wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS
I had the same experience. I adjusted mine to spec with the tension gage after replacing my tire. While riding two-up on a hot day (90's), the belt was making "groaning" sounds. I backed off the adjusters a bit and the noise went away.

John
I'm glad you added this post John. I just put new sneakers on my bike and using the HD drive belt tension tool adjusted it to the shop manual spec of 1/4"-3/16" with the bike on the Rivco center stand. (rear wheel in the air). I started getting the groan once it fully warmed up. Loosened it to 3/8" cold and the groan is gone.

Jeff
Unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2006, 04:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

Neckball wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Anybody got a neet trick for adjusting these?
Well, some of you may laugh at this.

I was getting a new tire mounted on the rear wheel a few weeks ago and it got done a day earlier than expected. I hadn't gotten to the dealer yet to pick up the proper tension gauge yet. I wanted to get the bike back together so I looked around for what I had on hand.

The bike was up in the air on the lift. I put my wife's bathroom scales on a floor jack and rolled it umder the belt. I had a pice of 1" X 2" wood laying around, about 8" long. I stood the 1X2 on it's end so it was between the bathroom scale and the belt and I pumped the jack up until I had a 10 lb. reading on the scale. I made my belt adjustment using this method.

The next day after I had purchased the H-D belt tension gauge I checked my belt. There wasn't enough difference to make it worth while to change the setting. Been riding for about a month and everything seems fine. I checked the belt again after a few hundred miles and it's still good.
Neckball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.