Detachable Sissy Bar Install : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2005, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

Captain Bligh wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Detachable Sissy Bar Install

Beflore I took delivery of my FLHRI, I had them install the docking hardware for a detachable sissy bar. Silly me, I thought I'd pick up a sissy bar later, snap it on, and be ready to go. Now I bought the sissy bar and find it has two black brackets that need to be attached to the docking hardware or the lawyer written instructions say I could kill my passenger. For the life of me, I don't understand why the MOCO sells these brackets with the sissy bar instead of with the docking kits. But, I digress.

The instruction sheet that came with the sissy bar is crap. My question is does the bracket go on the inside ((toward the tire) or on the ouside directly under the docking point toward the bags)?

I figure if I pick wrong the docking points may not be spaced correctly and the sissy bar may not attach. Advice?
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2005, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

electra boomer wants to know Dino or Syn?
I assume you are talking about the long bracket that goes from the front docking point to the rear docking point. The bracket goes on the inside of the rear mounting bracket (towards the tire) that came with the docking kit. I put the front of the bracket behind the chrome rails. Your right, those brackets should have come with the docking kit not the sissy bar. I had to take mine back apart.
electra boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

toybox99615 wants to know Dino or Syn?
strange

strange but I've bought two sissybars and two luggage racks over the last three months (two bike house) and every one cam with the detach latches attached to the bar or rack. These items are for touring models. Seems strange that some of you bought yours with the the parts uninstalled. Is this a luck of the draw thing where some do and some don't?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toybox99615
strange but I've bought two sissybars and two luggage racks over the last three months (two bike house) and every one cam with the detach latches attached to the bar or rack. These items are for touring models. Seems strange that some of you bought yours with the the parts uninstalled. Is this a luck of the draw thing where some do and some don't?
You aren't talking about the same thing he is. The latches always come attached, you are correct.

What Bligh is talking about, is the 8" (or so) thin metal bar that goes from the front docking point to one of the holes on the back docking point. I agree Captain, this has always been something that confused me as well (I'm a tech and have installed dozens of these things). That bracket should come with the docking kit, not the sissybar.

Anyway, it should be attached on the BACK of the front docking point (against the chrome), and also goes inside the rear docking point. It should be a very quick change, you'll have to totally remove the front docking point to achieve this, but for the rear, just remove the long bolt which is holding on the rear detach point (don't remove the big bracket that's back there).

Small hole goes toward front, big hole in rear. Slight bend in bar should go AWAY from motorcycle.

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

BadTwin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Uh-oh... I installed mine with the bar going on the outside of the bracket. Everything lined up and works though. Can anything bad happen?

I tell ya, my set came with the directions for 2-3 different kits that I might have had. I had to determine what kit and what picture matched the one I had cuz the kit's # I had wasent listed in the directions. I then opened up the sisy bar parts bag and found the bars and the directions for them. Well, with those directions I was able to figure it out. Total job time was 2 hr's. 1hour and 45 minutes on the first side, and then after figuring it out, 15 minutes on the other... Ha
Old 08-22-2005, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

toybox99615 wants to know Dino or Syn?
that part

now I know what your referring to; the long narrow black piece that Harley forgot to chrome. That ties the front mount kit to the rear bracket that Harley also forgot to chrome.

Why does Harley not have those part chromed? They sit there amidst all the chrome parts and look horid. The non-chrome must have been designed by the same team that thought mixing butto head chrome bolts and hex head bolts also go well together.

And I'm pretty sure the same team wrote the directions that come with each of the four kits (four if you have both sissy bar and luggage rack.) Now those directions rank right up there with the ones in broken english that come with parts from Asia: "...bolt insert hole and screw tool using ..."

bye the way my tie bar lined up with the bar on the outside of the rear bracket..... looked good to me.

Last edited by toybox99615; 08-22-2005 at 02:44 PM.
toybox99615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Captain Bligh wants to know Dino or Syn?
Exactly, I'm talking about the 6 1/2 inch black brackets that connect one docking point to the other. Electra boomer says they go on the inside toward the tire (under the nut or the backside of the mounting bracket) and I think Chopper Dude is saying they go right under the docking point itself (bagside or frontside of the mounting bracket). So, which is it and does it make any difference? Also Chopper Dude talks of bends in the black brackets. Mine appear to be flatter of the pancake.

Thanks for your wisdom. Now, if only I was bright enough to understand!

The Captain
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

electra boomer wants to know Dino or Syn?
The bracket can only go one way front to rear as the hole diameters are different. The rear goes behind the mounting bracket. You put it just under the nut on the bolt that has the docking groment. The front goes on the inside of the front groment bolt. I put mine behind the chrome rails so I could hide some of the non chromed brackets. There is a slight bend in the brackets. The rear angles in. I looked at the rental fleet at one of the local dealers and every touring model had these brackets installed differently. No help there. I installed mine as per the instructions with the exception of putting the front under the chrome.
electra boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
N.R.A.

Vettely wants to know Dino or Syn?
I put my backrest on my EGC almost a year ago and I did not use those brackets. Should I be expecting some sort of horrendous tragedy 'cause I did not put em on?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bligh
I think Chopper Dude is saying they go right under the docking point itself (bagside or frontside of the mounting bracket). So, which is it and does it make any difference? Also Chopper Dude talks of bends in the black brackets. Mine appear to be flatter of the pancake.

The Captain
Hey Cap'n, sorry if I confused you, but the FRONT portion of the long thin bracket (has smallest hole in it) will go underneath the front mounting point.

The REAR portion of that same bracket should like up with one of those four holes that are open. Specifically, the hole on the TOP row, nearest the front of the motorcycle.

(Both bottom holes were designed for the air suspension schrader valves to be relocated to. Older bikes had front and rear air assist suspension, so there were two schrader valves, current models only have rear air, but they have to make the bracket for the older models as well. ALSO, over the years the MoCo has moved the location of the schrader valves from the right side (when there were two) to the left side (now that there is only one). That is why both brackets have holes.

To repeat... the bottom row of holes is where your schrader valves go, if you look closely you should see a 'F', and a 'R' next to the holes, might be on the back of the bracket though. The top two holes, the front most hole is where that bracket thing goes, I don't know that the rear hole is for, can't recall using it.

Cap'n, the bend in the brackets is VERY slight, more a slight curve than a bend. Hold them up sideways, you should see an angle in there about a third of the way down from the little hole.

If for some reason yours don't have it, why wouldn't worry, also, the instructions say that long thin bracket goes "behind" closest to the tire at the rear docking position.

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement