Blown headlight fuses on Road Glide : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2005, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

BigTinVA wants to know Dino or Syn?
Blown headlight fuses on Road Glide

When I was riding home the day I picked up my new '04 RoadGlide, I noticed that my headlights were not burning while the bike was running. I called the dealers service department and they took it right in when I arrived and found a blown fuse. They replaced the fuse and I have not had the problem since.

Tonight I got a call from a friend with an '04 RG asking about my fuse issue, seems that he went to hit his hi-beams last night and killed his headlamps all together. He went to his dealer today and they found a blown fuse and replaced it for him.

Is this a common problem with the RoadGlide's? Anyone else have a problem like this? If so, was it recurring and did you find out what caused the fuses to blow? Any input is appreciated.
BigTinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2005, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Soar like an Eagle

Road Glider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTinVA

Is this a common problem with the RoadGlide's? Anyone else have a problem like this? If so, was it recurring and did you find out what caused the fuses to blow? Any input is appreciated.
Never blown a fuse on mine. My guess is there has to be another source of a short of some type to do this. Did they wash your bike? Maybe got some water where it should not have been. What work did they do on your bike while it was in the shop? Any electrical work or new electrical parts added? Just fishing but don't think it is a issue with all RG's.

May you have a day with the wind in your face and the rest of the world be at your back.
Road Glider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2005, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

BigTinVA wants to know Dino or Syn?
My bike was completely bone stock when I picked it up. They did wash it. I checked a picture that my girl took when I was leaving and the lights were not on in the pic, the fuse was blown before I took posession of the bike.

I just figured I would ask about it on here after hearing from my buddy about his fuse blowing too.
BigTinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2005, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Silver & Black wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have not had that issue either. I have not heard of this being a problem. Where both bikes bought at the same dealer? May it is something they are doing at prep?

It sounded good at the time!!!!
Silver & Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2005, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

LowFlyer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Saturday, March 13, 2004........went to pick up my brand spankin' new '04 Road Glide that just came in from York to Latrobe, PA (189.44 miles away). After all the paperwork and the start of the 'orientation', they found that I had no brake lights!

2 hours later, still no brake lights, so I took their demo (same model as mine) home for the weekend.

Came back on Monday and the tech said he was just buttoning it up after working on it for over 7 hours!!!

Seems there is a sharp piece of metal mounted on the triple tree, inside the tach/speedo housing that had cut into the wire loom from the bottom (you couldn't see it) and everytime they thought they found the problem, after taking it out for a test ride, while manuveuring the handlebars for parking the wire loom would rub the metal and blow another fuse!!!

We added that plastic corrugated loom holder around the wires, padded the metal w/foam and duct tape (yeah, I know......), documented the problem and told the factory about the assembly and a year and 4 months later, still no problems.

.......sure helps me to remember to check my brake lights more often!

Good Luck!

Traded an '04 Road Glide in for an '07 Road Glide.......Black, the fastest Harley color!

(The Invisible Poster)
LowFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2005, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Something

Bjack wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well my 04 RG with 15000 miles on it, started it this morning guess what no headlights, were is the fuse for this? any help would be helpful.....and my warenty is up......figures
Old 07-27-2005, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

lowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
The fuse is behind the cover, under the seat, on the left side.

Last month I blew the headlight fuse one night when I switched from low to high beam. I replaced the fuse and the lights worked until I switched to high beam and the fuse blew again.

I took it to the shop and was told they found the high beam wire was pinched somewhere in the fairing. It sounds like there is a wire routing issue that needs to be watched. Fortunately it is something that can be easily corrected.

lowbar
Old 07-27-2005, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Something

thanks they are looking at it right now...while they are changing the tire..

thanks again
Old 07-27-2005, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
I'm Paid Up...

DR_DEUCE wants to know Dino or Syn?
When a fuse blows, it is due to excessive current draw...just replacing the fuse does not solve the problem. Check the wiring for everything that this fuse protects. You'll probably find a cut in the insulation at points where it comes in contact with or runs near metal... like the naselle. Check around, I'll bet you find the CAUSE of the problem.
DR_DEUCE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2005, 07:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Something

it does not appear to be linked to the hibeam, it blows as soon as you turn on the ignition.. they changed the fuse friday road the bike 10 miles.....no problem..as soon as i went to pick the bike up on saturday it blew as soon as i turned on the ignition?????? it back in the shop today....
Old 08-02-2005, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Something

does anyone that has had this problem know where the problem was my bike has been at the dealer 2 days and they have had no luck.....I mentioned to them today tht it only happens when I am sitting on the bike, and they have been try to fix it on the lift....mmmm

help
Old 08-02-2005, 07:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

LowFlyer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Read my previous post, it mentioned the possible location.

Sit on your bike and have someone watch the lights as you turn the had handlebars lock to lock. If the fuse blows, I'll bet it's in the speedo housing.

Traded an '04 Road Glide in for an '07 Road Glide.......Black, the fastest Harley color!

(The Invisible Poster)
LowFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2005, 11:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Something

they had my bike for 4 days, they were able to make the fuse blow consistantly while sitting on it.. then it stopped blowing and it has bee working fine....mmmm

it is just the headlight,
Old 08-12-2005, 09:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

eglide1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a similar problem with my EG and found the short in the hand control.
The wire was crushed in the clamp and shorted to the handlebar.
It was an easy fix once I found it.
eglide1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2005, 12:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Something

thank you we will continue to look as of now it stopped doing it..
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.