Beware S&S Head Pipes - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Model Specific Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 05:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

1HD1C wants to know Dino or Syn?
without seeing it how does ANYONE know for sure whos fault it is/was.. could have been installer, could have been product, could have been lack of maintenance

YMMV

https://www.facebook.com/groups/222510704871627/

1HD1C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Living Life

Grasshopper wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Scycle View Post
Hi Grasshopper,

We saw your post about the failure of the bolts in your exhaust bracket. At S&S we have now brought exhaust manufacturing in-house, making products that are 100% designed, developed and tested in our USA facilities. We are proud of everything we make and firmly believe that our new products will provide a better experience. We value your business and it is important to us that you can count on our team to build quality parts. While it sounds like the warranty on that system has long expired, please DM us so that we can figure out how best to support you, because no one likes having a broken bike.

~S&S
Message sent so we'll see. Pardon my skepticism but once burnt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HD1C View Post
without seeing it how does ANYONE know for sure whos fault it is/was.. could have been installer, could have been product, could have been lack of maintenance

YMMV
A fair assumption and I have to admit, when I first started wrenching on my bikes some 30 years ago, I was a hammer mechanic.

But over the years, being stuck on the side of the road has been a good educator. Now, I'm the king of torque wrenches, Loctite in all its flavors and maintenance overkill. I take a lot of pride in keeping my bike humming and try to pass along the things I've learned to the younger guys or newbies

Pipes were installed per instructions, to the letter.

2010 Ultra
V&H High Flo Air Filter
S&S Power Tune Duals
S&S MK45 Power Tune Slip-Ons
SEPST
Getting home safe by the grace of God

Last edited by Grasshopper; 05-19-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
FNG :)

njmasterplumber wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mayby I'm slow, but I'm still trying to figure out how crossover bolts can end up INSIDE the tranny???
njmasterplumber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

tall terry is reading this now saying WTF is this? tall terry is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I don't think inside the tyranny is the correct description.... the bracket bolts replace existing bolts in the exterior of the tranny with longer bolts to attach the exhaust brackets... these new bolts frequently snap off flush with the tranny and sometimes are difficult to remove...
Honestly, Harleys break exhaust brackets on a regular basis, as well as other supplied brackets with popular aftermarket parts... if it looks shoddy when installing it is shoddy and should be addressed then... if I saw 1/4" bolts holding the exhaust weight, I would have sent them back rather than continue the installation,,, I never install anything I know is going to fail...

It sounds like the OP got a rep that was there for a paycheck, he should have asked for a supervisor and got it ironed out then...
I was an S&S dealer, they are a great company to do business with...they made a mistake selling items made by a second party.
I'm sure S&S will rectify the problem including the part with the uncaring phone rep he spoke with....
I've always seen S&S go out of their way, to see to it their customers are taken care of,,, they remind me of snap on tool dealers, they warranty things just because.....

Last edited by tall terry; 05-20-2017 at 11:49 AM.
tall terry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

Greg_E wants to know Dino or Syn?
I hope you follow up with the resolution so we know what happens. I've been on the $#it side of far too many of these situations, I'd like to know if there is one company that really stands behind their products when they say they stand behind their products.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

wheelsaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
if you cant see the bolt heads it's more than likely the bolts were over torqued and partially cracked and finally came apart from fatigue
wheelsaway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Living Life

Sent PM per S&S request around noon. So far.....crickets....

2010 Ultra
V&H High Flo Air Filter
S&S Power Tune Duals
SEPST
Old 05-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this? cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Sent PM per S&S request around noon. So far.....crickets....
Do ya really think they're not going to respond after posting on a public forum that they would? Give em a chance before casting stones.....most places would of told ya to pound sand and been perfectly within their rights.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Living Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
Do ya really think they're not going to respond after posting on a public forum that they would? Give em a chance before casting stones.....most places would of told ya to pound sand and been perfectly within their rights.
"pound sand and been perfectly within their rights"? Wilks quit drinking the bong water.

I've bought, sold and started several small companies and I can tell you this, anytime one of my customers had a problem I made it my priority to stick with it until it was resolved, and did so almost to the exclusion of everything else. You can spend years building a reputation and lose it almost before you realize it.

But to be fair and in the interest of due diligence, I contacted them directly via their website and outlined the saga from beginning to end. No response by COB Monday and I'll call their customer support.

I'm hoping S&S is still the company everyone says it was int he past. Time will tell.

2010 Ultra
V&H High Flo Air Filter
S&S Power Tune Duals
SEPST

Last edited by Grasshopper; 05-20-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

minnbearguy wants to know Dino or Syn?
S&S Head Pipes

Two years ago the same thing happen to my S&S head pipes. My HD dealer found the broken bolts, called an told me an said it was about $500.00 to repair. Told them to go ahead and repair the exhaust support.

I than called S&S and ask if the had problems with cross over support bolts and the said yes. I asked if the were paying for the repairs and they said yes, have the dealer called them. They did pay for the repairs. Don't know if the person I talked to at S&S is still there but his name was Nate and his number was 608-627-0292.

Hope this helps.
minnbearguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Living Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnbearguy View Post
Two years ago the same thing happen to my S&S head pipes. My HD dealer found the broken bolts, called an told me an said it was about $500.00 to repair. Told them to go ahead and repair the exhaust support.

I than called S&S and ask if the had problems with cross over support bolts and the said yes. I asked if the were paying for the repairs and they said yes, have the dealer called them. They did pay for the repairs. Don't know if the person I talked to at S&S is still there but his name was Nate and his number was 608-627-0292.

Hope this helps.
Seriously? If they did that I'd be more than happy.

But, given the responses so far, I'm not holding my breath

2010 Ultra
V&H High Flo Air Filter
S&S Power Tune Duals
SEPST
Old 05-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

minnbearguy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Two years ago even the the Harley Dealers were not aware that S&S was having problems with the cross over bolts or that they were covering the repair cost. When I told my service writer S&S was paying for the repair and to call Nate at 608-627-0292 he first looked at me like I was nuts.

My dealer was able to drop the oil pan and tack a nut on the broken bolts and back them out. But still they have to pull the rear wheel and other stuff to get at the oil pan.

Even if that Nate guy is not at S&S anymore someone there knows about the problem.
minnbearguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 11:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

heresolong wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've never had anything but positive experiences with S&S so I hope they'll take care of you. I had a customer have problems with an S&S engine several years ago. I am not an S&S dealer (small, one man, part time shop at this point in my life) and they wanted a dealer to do the warranty work. My customer insisted that I was the only person he wanted working on his bike and they authorized the repairs and sent me a check. They could have easily insisted that only S&S authorized shops could do the work but they listened to what their customer wanted. Impressive in my book.
heresolong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #29 (permalink)

scooper321 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well this is quite an interesting thread. I just picked up a set of power duals for my 2007 Road King, slightly used. They seem to be in great shape. But they did come with just two bolts. The I asked the previous owner about this, and he said that's all he ever used to keep the crossover pipe on. Now I'm wondering if the missing two bolts may have sheared off on him? But the brackets are not horse shoe style, they are triangular, so this may be the newer design anyway. And I stopped by the hardware store and bought a couple stainless steel exact replacement bolts, so I plan to use all four as instructed. And yes, I own two torque wrenches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scooper321 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

tall terry is reading this now saying WTF is this? tall terry is reading this now saying WTF is this?
That's cool,,, I wouldn't use stainless bolts.... stainless doesn't rust, as in what we see rust as, it does oxidize, with negative results in other materials..
If you've ever had to extract broken/frozen stainless bolts, you will never use stainless again... it is a soft metal that deform easily, although, it is difficult to machine, drill, or do anything with, without special tooling and procedures,,, you can't even weld a nut to most stainless alloys to extract a broken bolt,,, it sure looks good though doesn't it...
tall terry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.