2017 adjustable levers, reduced reach : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Model Specific Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2017, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
2017 adjustable levers, reduced reach

2017 Clutch lever adjustable

2017 Clutch lever adjustable. As some of you know the 2017 clutch housing was changed to one more like the brake master cyl. So the 2016 levers will not fit.
Oberon did come out with adjustable levers that fit the 2017. because they are about the only one making them they are pricey .
The finish on them is better than the Roland Sands I had on my 2016 and the adjustment system is better made. The shape is different but works for me.
These are also marketed as a reduced reach lever.
The lever has 8 setting. 8 being a clutch engagement about like factory each notch lower moves clutch engagement closer to grip. 2-3 seems best for me. The result is better control of the clutch when operating at real slow speed. I have been waiting for these from the day I purchased the bike. The install is about 1 minute, I am not kidding. 1 tool I used a butter knife to pull snap clip off. My pliers were not here.
My 2 cents:
Costly $152 for polished with silver adjuster not shipping cost
$132 for the black with silver adjuster
Well made
Work 100% as they should, with plenty of adjustment.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/TNai1H]
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Just Say'in............

DynaLow05 is reading this now saying WTF is this? DynaLow05 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Smitty.......thanks for the heads up on these. They look like a great product and I bookmarked them for the future. Let us know how they hold up.
Big Sucker
PC-V
Boss Bags
Mustang Solo
Chrome do dads

Last edited by DynaLow05; 04-18-2017 at 06:59 PM.
DynaLow05 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2017, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaLow05 View Post
Smitty.......thanks for the heads up on these. They look like a great product and I bookmarked them for the future. Let us know how they hold up.
Now that I am retired, I will take granddaughter to school. Take wife car to body shop for an estimate . Then ride the heck out of it and enjoy the new clutch lever. I would be out there tonight but storm coming . And I just don't want to deal with it.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this? cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Is it just the clutch lever?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
Is it just the clutch lever?
They sell matching brake levers also
Old 04-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this? cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
They sell matching brake levers also
So do you have the brake lever also? Cuz I don't get having one without the other.....I mean your hands are the same size right?
Old 04-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

tall terry is reading this now saying WTF is this? tall terry is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Cwilks, I'm in your camp... did you only buy one?
tall terry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 06:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
So do you have the brake lever also? Cuz I don't get having one without the other.....I mean your hands are the same size right?
My reason for using these was not about reach. It is about being able to adjust the HYD clutch engagement. That is what they are mainly for. The reduced reach is just a side benefit for some.
On HYD clutch models the clutch does not engage until the lever is almost all the way out. Adjustable lever allow you to more that back close to the grip where many prefer it . There is no other way to adjust a hyd clutch.
I will add one to brake side to match latter . I wanted to try the clutch side first Even when I put one on the brake side I will not adjust the lever the brake is fine as is.
Look at the lever. The dial you see has 8 adjustments. 8 being about where a stock lever would engage the clutch. Each notch lower you go moves the engagement for the clutch a little closer to the grip.

Last edited by smitty901; 04-19-2017 at 06:07 AM.
smitty901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 06:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

1HD1C wants to know Dino or Syn?
rick at softbrake is starting to make these for the 17s as the levers become available

http://softbrake-com.3dcartstores.co...tch_p_196.html

https://www.facebook.com/groups/222510704871627/

1HD1C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HD1C View Post
rick at softbrake is starting to make these for the 17s as the levers become available

http://softbrake-com.3dcartstores.co...tch_p_196.html
2016 will not fit a 2017 clutch side. Also If you can't start it in gear with them something is not right. On some bike you may need to add a click or two but they will start in gear if the product is made right.
Ones to fit pre 2017 have been around for year .
Old 04-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Expat in CH is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Good review.
Well done sir.
St. Francis of Assisi
Expat in CH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Ordered mine from Hoglevers. The free FEDEX shipping got it here but I think it was by horse back. Took the bike out this morning to play with the lever a bit.
With stock grips setting 1 bike will not start in gear with a normal grip on lever. 2 and above starts in gear every time. I am using setting 2 and 3 right now they seem to fit my needs.
While I had no issue with the weight of the clutch pull stock on setting 8 it was about the same as stock lever. On lower setting pull is lighter.
Because the engagement point is sooner and closer to the grip the clutch works much better at slow start for me. Would I spend the cash again, with out a doubt yes.
As for the instructionsthey just do not really apply to the 2017. Cover fuel tank. Push down on the stock pin hold remove external clip. Remove pin remove lever. Dab of grease on new one slide it in replace pin done. Set on 8 and keep dialing down until you are happy. Not even enough time for a drink of coffee.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

1HD1C wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
2016 will not fit a 2017 clutch side. Also If you can't start it in gear with them something is not right. On some bike you may need to add a click or two but they will start in gear if the product is made right.
Ones to fit pre 2017 have been around for year .
that's right the 16s don't fit the 17s that's why I said he is starting to make them as the 17 levers become available to him..

starting in gear i believe requires a shim modification to the clutch safety switch to bring it out a bit closer to the lever so it can sense that clutch is disengaged..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/222510704871627/

1HD1C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HD1C View Post
that's right the 16s don't fit the 17s that's why I said he is starting to make them as the 17 levers become available to him..

starting in gear i believe requires a shim modification to the clutch safety switch to bring it out a bit closer to the lever so it can sense that clutch is disengaged..
Don't confuse reduced reach levers with adjustable ones. While adjustable ones can reduce reach, there main purposes is to allow clutch adjustment.
The hinged part of the lever moves the lever while the part that attaches to the master cyl stays put.
When riding in the friction zone. Using clutch and brake to improve very slow speed handling it is hard with the HYD clutch. All engagement and dis engagement takes place at the end of lever travel. I now have my clutch engaging about 1 1/2 off the grip.
I will measure it latter and give an true number.
This is also why the extend brake pedal is so good it reduces the angle of the pedal. Moves it forward your boot does not slide under it. The angle is Very sharp on the Rushmore and M8. Reducing it allows for smoother rear brake control at slow speeds.
Combine the two and you have a world of difference.
100_2107 by bob smith, on Flickr

Last edited by smitty901; 04-20-2017 at 06:19 PM.
smitty901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

ecir45 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
cool mods. why not make a lever at one fixed setting like the 2-3 you like (non-adjustable), that would be cool.
ecir45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.