Are the HD Touring bikes better than BMW or Goldwing? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
HOGDOG

deucedog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Are the HD Touring bikes better than BMW or Goldwing?

I know it is taboo, but do folks buy the HD touring bikes because they are the best made and ride better than a BMW R1200LT or a Honda Goldwing, or is it the name and the heritage?

Although I own the Deuce and enjoy it alot, I want a touring bike. Can you share the reason why you chose the HD over the BMW or Hondas?

Thanks

"A kinder, more gentle dog."

2008 CVO Ultra Classic #39
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2007 KTM 640 Adventure

2009 CVO Roadglide
deucedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2004, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

02deuce99 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Because its a Harley. Simple as that, I also have a Deuce but when it was time to buy my touring bike, I decided to get a Road Glide and have not been happier with it, its not as bulky as BMW or Honda and still has all the features, Comfortable Ride, AM/FM/WB CD, Cruise Control, etc. etc. etc.

Buy American keep Americans working.
02deuce99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Diffuser wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02deuce99
Because its a Harley. Simple as that, I also have a Deuce but when it was time to buy my touring bike, I decided to get a Road Glide and have not been happier with it, its not as bulky as BMW or Honda and still has all the features, Comfortable Ride, AM/FM/WB CD, Cruise Control, etc. etc. etc.

Ditto: Except I don't have a Deuce, I have a Superglide, and have a EG Classic on order.
Diffuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

zopi wants to know where he is and how he got here
Asked a guy why he sold his goldwing for an ultra...was it a bad bike...said "nope,
probably the best engineered motorcycle in the world". So? Why'd ya sell it?

"It wasn't cool."
zopi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Vettster wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with both of the above and would like to add....

Because I can work on it myself.

We have no dealers where I live. If something goes wrong with my ride. (Which hasn't yet) I can get on the web and find out what to do then make a call to the States and get the parts sent to me.
Try that with a Beemer or a Honda.

Ride Safe,
Vettster
Vettster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

roadhippie wants to know where he is and how he got here
I can tell you

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi
Asked a guy why he sold his goldwing for an ultra...was it a bad bike...said "nope,
probably the best engineered motorcycle in the world". So? Why'd ya sell it?

"It wasn't cool."
cool has nothing to do with it. I don't have a 32" inseam for one, I really don't like spending my time at a honda service desk, and I prefer the local biker bar rather than Bob Evans or the Cracker Barrel.
roadhippie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

oleman wants to know Dino or Syn?
There was an article in Cruiser Magazine about a year ago you can find archive on Internet. It rated HD, BMW, and Yamaha Cruiser. HD beat all three. Very interesting article and a thorough test
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Paniolo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have ridden tham all, and the Ultra is what I wanted.
Simple as that.

One is not "better" than the other.
They are all different in style, nature, and engineering.

They are all fine bikes.
I like ALL motorcycles.
I just wanted a Harley.

It is your choice.
Pick what you want.

And remember, you can always change later.
Paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

flyinlow wants to know Dino or Syn?
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucedog
I know it is taboo, but do folks buy the HD touring bikes because they are the best made and ride better than a BMW R1200LT or a Honda Goldwing, or is it the name and the heritage?

Although I own the Deuce and enjoy it alot, I want a touring bike. Can you share the reason why you chose the HD over the BMW or Hondas?

Thanks
They're all good bikes. It just depends on what you want. I'm 6'3'' 300lbs with a 32" inseam. I have a Yamaha 1st generation Venture which is an awesome sport touring bike. It's a lot of fun to ride. I also have an E-Glide Ultra Classic That I am much more comfortable on. There are more parts available for Harley's than any other bike on the market, either through HD or any one of hundreds of after market companies. You can still buy parts for 80 year old Harleys, try to buy parts for a 20 year old Japanese bike. Other than spark plugs and wheel bearings, they don't exist. The H-J is truly a timeless classic. I'll never sell mine.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
XLIII

MegaGlide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Not better. Different.
Simply stated, the Harleys are better at being what they are.
If that's what you want, nothing else is better.
Probably why my favorite handgun is the 1911 Gov't Model, and my favorite revolver is a 6" Blue Colt Python.
Some things are just classics, and generations later remain virtually unchanged.

Sherlyn Popelka DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive Arrest Reports HERE:
http://www.sherlynpopelka.net/
MegaGlide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 12:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cheaper to smoke crack!

ocdmachine wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wanted a GL1800 until I saw 03 FLHTCUI Anniversary!

I was never a "Harley Guy". I was ready to buy an 03 Honda Goldwing until one of my buddies dragged me kicking and screaming into the H-D dealership to at least look at an Ultra. Low and behold, they had their one allotement of the Anniversary satin and black model FLHTCUI on the floor. It was love at first site and I have been a convert ever since.

Don't get me wrong, that GL1800 is one helluva bike. It's just different. Almost like saying which is better: a car or a truck? Air cooled touring had its' advantages and the bike is pretty easy to do routine maintenace on.

You'll be happy with either but "cool" is standard equipment on the H-D!!
ocdmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 01:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Another Great Day to Ride

ernster500 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Funny thing about the cool factor and HDs.

I was at a boot shop a few weeks ago with my girl and a guy pulled up on a new Ultra, still with the dealer tags. We started talking bikes and he told he he had ridden Goldwings for the last ten years and decided it was time to buy a Harley. He said that in the 20+ years of riding , no one had ever made a comment to him about his bike, much less the Goldwing.

The first ride home on the Ultra from the dealer, two different cars pulled up next to him and said, "Cool Bike"... He told me that upgrading to a Harley was the best thing he had ever done... No reasons as to exactly why, but, man, did he look happy...

E
ernster500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

NC_John wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo
I have ridden tham all, and the Ultra is what I wanted.
Simple as that.

One is not "better" than the other.
They are all different in style, nature, and engineering.

They are all fine bikes.
I like ALL motorcycles.
I just wanted a Harley.

It is your choice.
Pick what you want.

And remember, you can always change later.
That's pretty true for me too. I just bought my 05 Classic over an 05 1800 'Wing or the BMW K1200LT (numerous test rides on all of them). The Honda was awesome (very quick) but too clinical- it was more an appliance than a bike. The BMW was very refined and nice to ride but for some reason didn't appeal to me that much either (and maintenance costs scare me).

I chose the Classic cause I can do a bunch of things to make it fit my 6'-7" frame better, I can take off the tourpack and put on a shorty windscreen and have a bike with some attitude (instead of it always looking like a winnebago) for when I get to where I am going, and finally, I had a harley back in 96 and really enjoyed the social side of it. I hoped I would like my 05 as much as I enjoyed my 96 and I have not been dissappointed.

They all have their points but in the end it was the harley I lusted after. And with the harley you have tremendous resale value. It won't be worth 50% of what you paid for it in a year or two like the other bikes.

John

1996 Kawasaki ZX9R for my need for speed
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 for when its raining!
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 01:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

NC_John wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02deuce99
At the risk of becoming unpopular....... The honda goldwing is built stateside (in OH I believe) so thats not much of an argument. The whole HD - buy american thing is a bit of a farce. I bet they get as many parts offshore as everyone else. These days they are more american-assembled than american-made.

John

1996 Kawasaki ZX9R for my need for speed
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 for when its raining!
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2004, 01:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ROY YOUNG wants to know Dino or Syn?
[QUOTE=deucedog]I know it is taboo, but do folks buy the HD touring bikes because they are the best made and ride better than a BMW R1200LT or a Honda Goldwing, or is it the name and the heritage?

Thanks[/QUOT

I had ridden a Shovel since my first Harley in '79. In the Spring of '02, I went out and bought a BMW R1150RT Sport Tourer. My buds thought I went off the deep end especially since I hadn't even upgraded to an EVo, but at the same time, thought the bike was pretty interesting. I even (believe it or not) got a top 25 placard in a Fall bike and car show that K.C. calls Rumble On The River. This was a bike that you could run hard at 90 MPH all day long, and you and the bike still felt like going ahead and running all that night. Well, after 21,000 miles and 17 months, I went and bought a '96 Ultra w/10,000 miles on it. I still have the Shovel and ride it from time to time, but the Ultra w/removeable tour pak is now my baby. I have to say, I REALLY liked that BMW, but I started seeing other owners having final drive problems and clutch spline problems, and honestly, it scared me. I could almost take an HD apart blinded, but certainly not a BMW. That is the main reason for getting rid of the BMW. Also, there just wasn't the character there I was used to.
Roy
ROY YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.