E-Glide Voltmeter reading wayyyy high : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2004, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

NC_John wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question E-Glide Voltmeter reading wayyyy high

So, is the electra-glide factory dash voltmeter as useless as the air temp gauge? Mine is usually reading around 16 volts, which is obviously too high. I checked the bike with a fluke voltmeter to make sure I'm not cooking the battery and the true voltage is like 13-14 volts at low RPM (It always reads around 16 volts on the gauge regardless of RPM). The service manager at my dealer checked with a few of the guys in the back and they said its not really accurate (well, duh), its just more of an approx reading. Judging by how well the air temp gauge works I kind of tend to believe this, but how are y'alls reading? High as well? For $20K+, how bout some gauges that are worth a sh*t?

John
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

oleman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have had my Classic for a month and agree the Air Temp gauge is not very useful. My Voltmeter runs about 15 volts. Service Manager where I got mine has had several Classic's and told me that 14.7 to 15 was a normal reading.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
JOS
FNG :)

JOS wants to know Dino or Syn?
NC John - When you checked your bike with a meter, did you check charging volts at like 2000+ RPM also? It didn't increase to something like 16 VDC did it? Hopefully it's just a bad gauge. Mine reads just a touch over 14 at highway speeds (01 FLHT).

oleman - actually 15 volts is a little high. 14.7 is the upper limit. You should check your charging system using a voltmeter, just to be safe.
JOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
NRA Life

Hamilton wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mine reads way high too....I just shake my head and ignore it.

- Robert Bosch
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

NC_John wants to know Dino or Syn?
[QUOTE=JOS]NC John - When you checked your bike with a meter, did you check charging volts at like 2000+ RPM also? It didn't increase to something like 16 VDC did it? Hopefully it's just a bad gauge. Mine reads just a touch over 14 at highway speeds (01 FLHT).
QUOTE]

I checked it at various RPMs. It was 14.2- 14.3 from idle to around 4000 RPM which is within spec. Just a useless gauge....

John
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Sarge12R wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm with Hamilton, both the air pressure and volt meters don't work worth crap. I didn't know that when I bought the bike, but what can you do?
Sarge12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've messed with lots of FLT's with voltmeter and haven't seen any that are that far off. Either the gauge is faulty, bad connections, etc. My personal bike actually reads pretty accurate considering size and graduations on the gauge as do the ones on bikes that friends of mine have.

Anyone check connections under the outer fairing? I also don't know how the regulator output is tied into the system now that HD went to a maxi-fuse setup in 04 instead of the main circuit breaker (which is where the regulator output went on earlier models). Maybe there is a problem with the regulator output wire and wherever it's connected.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

Jrebrovi wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just picked up my slightly used, 2012 Ultra. Same issue with the high voltage reading...pegged in the 16 range when I'm on the highway. At idle...closer to and a bit above 14. All else OK. I asked a mechanic at a local dealer, and he just said "not to worry about it." Said there was a recall on voltage regulators on some 2012's, but that mine was not one of them (checked the vin or some other number). Still, $20 large...and something as simple as a voltmeter isn't working properly? Gimme a freaking break. I can live with the temperature gauge being worthless...but the voltmeter? C'mon!!! Was thinking about replacing the air temp gauge with an oil temp gauge...but how do I know that IT is going to be accurate? The boys in Milwaukee really need to pay attention to some detail and raise our confidence level in them.
Jrebrovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrebrovi View Post
I just picked up my slightly used, 2012 Ultra. Same issue with the high voltage reading...pegged in the 16 range when I'm on the highway. At idle...closer to and a bit above 14. All else OK. I asked a mechanic at a local dealer, and he just said "not to worry about it." Said there was a recall on voltage regulators on some 2012's, but that mine was not one of them (checked the vin or some other number). Still, $20 large...and something as simple as a voltmeter isn't working properly? Gimme a freaking break. I can live with the temperature gauge being worthless...but the voltmeter? C'mon!!! Was thinking about replacing the air temp gauge with an oil temp gauge...but how do I know that IT is going to be accurate? The boys in Milwaukee really need to pay attention to some detail and raise our confidence level in them.
AutoZone has both voltage and oil temperature guages that cost only a few bucks and will fit the fairing holes.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
16 seems high. What does it go to with hand meter when you rev it to 4-5k rpm?

I can't believe HD isn't embarrassed to out those air air gauges in. Speaks volumes about the company.
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree the air temp gauge is worthless not only because the reading is off but who needs a air temp gauge on a motorcycle. I replaced it with the HD oil temp gauge which I really like having. Although I have not tested it for accuracy it seems to go up when it's hot and down when it's cold.

My Volt meter gauge seems accurate. My Oil pressure gauge however from day one was reading about 5 lbs low. I had two Ultras before my 2009 and I would always run about 32 lbs when hot and going down the road. The dealer said they would only address if it was off by 6 or more pounds or more. I just lived with it for 35,000 miles. I just replaced the oil pressure sending unit and now it reads 32 lbs like it should. Should have done it myself along time ago. If I were you I would try and get HD to replace the Volt gauge if your under warranty if not I would replace it myself.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1L243 View Post
I agree the air temp gauge is worthless not only because the reading is off but who needs a air temp gauge on a motorcycle. .
I disagree. I like to know what the temp is. It makes less of difference when I am in a car.
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 10-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have been in 118 degrees and in the teens. Looking at a gauge did not make me any warmer or colder. Kinda like having a rain gauge!
Old 10-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Having a compass will not put you on the right track either.
I like info. I have thermoters all over.
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 10-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

bigbadal wants to know Dino or Syn?
[QUOTE=berserker;2186589]Having a compass will not put you on the right track either.

You got that right,,,if a person don't know how to use it, it's worthless. And I throw GPS units in that catagory also!

bigbadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement