"High Output" headlight bulb by the MoCo - any good? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2004, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

LongJohnSilver wants to know Dino or Syn?
"High Output" headlight bulb by the MoCo - any good?

Anybody tried the MoCo Part No. 67074-02? The catalog says: "PERFORMANCE HEADLAMP BULB" "...lights the way with a whiter more natural light" "The coating on the lamp shows a slight blue tint to the oncoming traffic." FOR SURE, the "blue-ish" light on some cars attracts my attention. BUT, does this bulb, still a 60/55 Watt, put out MORE light??? If not, why do they call it "High Performance"?
- LJS -
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2004, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

DeaconK wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJohnSilver
Anybody tried the MoCo Part No. 67074-02? The catalog says: "PERFORMANCE HEADLAMP BULB" "...lights the way with a whiter more natural light" "The coating on the lamp shows a slight blue tint to the oncoming traffic." FOR SURE, the "blue-ish" light on some cars attracts my attention. BUT, does this bulb, still a 60/55 Watt, put out MORE light??? If not, why do they call it "High Performance"?
- LJS -
I picked one up when I replaced the passing lamps with halogens. It does throw out a brighter light. I've read several other comments on switching headlamp bulbs and it seemed that everyone was concerned about upping the amperage draw and burning wires with the other replacements. That's why I went with the "High Performance" bulb. YMMV.

Kev

DeaconK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Forty miles from wood, fifty miles from water, and ten feet from hell.
Mark1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If the wattage of the replacement bulb is the same as the stock bulb, it isn't throwing out more light, assuming an identical reflector and light assembly. The true test of lighting efficiency is measured in lumens measured at a given distance.

These bulbs are really nothing more than a perception that the rider "sees" a whiter, brighter, or more viewer friendly visible light wavelength.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

PeaceFrog wants to know Dino or Syn?
the color of the light in various environmental conditions will give the eyes the ability to see better or worse. I don't know about the lamps in particular to you ask about, but I do know that color tempature has a lot to do with how welll a lamp will light the road for your eyes. Lumens does have to do a bit with it, but you can have two identical lamps, putting out exact lumens, but at a different tempature, and one will look better and brighter than the other. which which is which, I always have trouble keeping track. I have always heard that the yellowish lamps (warmer temp) are better for rainy conditions, where as the more blue lamps (cooler temp) are better for clear open road with nothing in the atmospere to reflect back at you.
PeaceFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Forty miles from wood, fifty miles from water, and ten feet from hell.
Mark1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJohnSilver
If not, why do they call it "High Performance"?
- LJS -
Harley-Davidson is wrong in claiming they are "High Performance". They need to market them under the Screamin' Eagle logo and put them ONLY on C.V.O. bikes! :p
Old 04-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

chuckfw wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have been running the 67074-02 bulb for the past 5 years, the lower beam finally burned out this month. I am replacing it with the same type bulb, the color they give off seems to "brighten" things up a bit more with the same wattage as the stock bulb. I believe it's worth the extra cost if you do a lot of riding at night on county roads.

You never see a Harley Ultra parked outside a psychiatrist's office!
chuckfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

WikkedWorkshop wants to know Dino or Syn?
RIPOFF imo I have a sylvania super white or something like that that I got at auto zone for half the price same wattage and a HUGE improvement over stock of course it is just in my bag as a spare after upgrading to hid
Wood tw8, Lifters, & springs
Heads "street ported" by Dean Turk

What do I know I dont even use Amsoil!!!
WikkedWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Probably get cheaper aftermarket.

The spot lights on my 01 were 35W and $35 from Harley, 55w and $17 from J&P.

Go with a company that makes bulbs, not a company that puts there name on them.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

johNTO wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just ride with the high beams on during the day and switch to low beams at night.
Rinehart Slip-ons
18" Renegade wheel&rotors
Hidden axle kit
KlockWerks 6.5"
[IMG][/IMG]
joi gin
johNTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

HogDreamer wants to know Dino or Syn?
I liked the beam the high performance H-D headlight threw but it only lasted less than two months. Actually burned out on the last night I was at Sturgis last year. Couldn't figure out why my lights weren't throwing much light until I got to the camp site. Turned off my spots and everything went dark.

Had to buy a new bulb on the way home so I could ride at night. Didn't go with the high performance bulb then because I was concerned of its durability. The good thing though was my dealership gave me my money back on the high performance bulb I'd bought from them. Sure didn't expect that but shows they care about the customer.

I just put high performance bulbs in my spot lights last week and now my headlight looks very yellow. Will probably change the headlight bulb soon but not exactly sure what I'm going to go with. Some high performance bulbs are twice the cost of the Harley bulb. Not sure they're worth that much extra.
HogDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

ADVNTR wants to know Dino or Syn?
Per Daniel Stern
http://danielsternlighting.com/
I am using an Osram 62405 70/65w off road bulb. I use a Cibie H4 high/low beam, convex (domed) lens headlight [$74.95] as well.
Unless you want to buy the expensive LED lights this is the way to go. The performance of the this lighting set up is fantastic.

The standard harley headlight is junk and has more to do with style than any useful function.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Larbaldi wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNTR View Post
Per Daniel Stern
http://danielsternlighting.com/
I am using an Osram 62405 70/65w off road bulb. I use a Cibie H4 high/low beam, convex (domed) lens headlight [$74.95] as well.
Unless you want to buy the expensive LED lights this is the way to go. The performance of the this lighting set up is fantastic.

The standard harley headlight is junk and has more to do with style than any useful function.
Wanted to note that the correct part number for the Osram High Output Bulb is 64205.

You have it listed as a 62405. These bulbs are available from Candlepower.

Here is a link to their site. http://store.candlepower.com/64205.html
1979 FXEF STROKER ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
BUSHTEC QUANTUM TRAILER ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
AMA MEMBER / ABATE MEMBER
Larbaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement