V-Twin Forum banner

2014 SGS lowering

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  HiJinx 
#1 ·
Looking to lower my 14 SGS. Looks like no one make a kit for the coil shocks so I'm leaning towards a seat mod from meancitycycles.com. Does anyone know of a lowering kit for the coil shocks? Anyone have any recent dealings with Meancity?

Thanks!

14 SGS - Blackened Cyan
SE Intake
4" Reinharts
Kuryakyn Crusher Head Pipes
TTS Mastertuner

#3 ·
Thanks for the feedback on meancity. I looked at shock offsets at JP, LAChoppers etc and no one makes them for coil spring shocks that come on the SGS-FLHXS. They only work with air shocks...according to the manufacturers. Must be a different mount.

#4 ·
will the progressive 944's not fit your bike? That'w what I plan to put on mine. Supposedly it's 1" lower yet has the same travel....

That's their sales pitch anyway and also what 2 local dealers told me.

Maybe those would work on your bike?

#5 ·
the sg static asset is already a crap.
they lowered the back leaving the fork lenght the same as other glide.

also mounting lowered progressive will gave no result as they are of the same lenght of the one you already have on your bike..

mounting lowering blocks on the back will introduce even more asset problems.

U have to lower THE FRONT instead... gaining in driveability too

take care that if U lower more than an inch the front maybe U need to change the side stand too....

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I think I'll try the seat mod first. Get them to drop the seat height by 1" and narrow the front.

IMHO the low profile tires and coil spring rear on the SGS make for an uncomfortable ride. When I demo rode the 14 SG it had air shocks which seemed to give a smoother ride.

#7 ·
I would go with the seat mod first to see if that fits your needs. I've had MeanCity do a couple of seats for me and their work is first rate.

#8 ·
The St Gld has 12" shocks on the rear...lower the front by 1" with a drop in kit...next put the 15 Low seat from an Ultra Low on then add the new narrow primary cover ...

#9 ·
Why can't people learn the alphabet? SGS? Street Glide Sucker??

#11 ·
I wasn't kidding. The FLHXs are already lowered, leading to people complaining about poor ride. I vote just get used to it.

#12 ·
Most people lower a bike for safety. More comfortable and easier to maneuver in parking lots, etc. I think you are right though. I bought a 1200 Sportster in the 90's and after I lowered it (like an 883 hugger) it rode a lot worse.

It's a compromise for sure

#13 ·
I am not tall. I do agree a lowered bike is nice in parking lots. I argue with metric guys I have dropped more bikes in parking lots, then scraped pegs, which is why I lie Harleys. Harleys are already low.

I would go with Progressive 440s, or current model and a seat that allowed my legs to come together more.

My Mustang raised me and I hated, I got used to it, cause $$ to replace. But I prefer my Corbin.

#14 ·
At sturgis I just bought a mustang seat. Love the seat but you are right, it's just a little bit higher. I spent a lot in it so I plan to keep it. At least for now.

Might Look into progressive this winter. Saving for a lift first

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.