V-Twin Forum banner

2014 Ultra Limited (limp mode)

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  sdwold 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2005 Road king Classic new in 05 lots of mods. Never had a problem one, took it from coast to coast.Just traded it in on a 2014 Ultra Limited (good so far)? Took it back after about 350 miles to get pipes on it. Went for Vance & Hines head pipes with X pipe on Vance & Hines high output slip on and A Thunder Max auto tune ECM. Stage 1 air cleaner. Rode it home and put around 150 more miles on it. Next day went out for a ride and soon as it started it went to limp mode with no throttle And engine light came on. So my dealer has had the bike for about a week now and they have been in contact with Thunder Max and they sent a patch so dealer puts it in and rode it a few times and it happened again. They still have it and are trying to find this issue. Anybody out there had anything like this happen to them? I think my dealer is at a loss for now. Any one have a Thunder Max ECM Auto Tune and if so any issues? So far everything I've read and I have heard they are great products.

Thanks for any help on this

#2 ·
Haven't had that problem on my 2014 with same pipes and the Screaming Eagle download. I did have a 2011 CVO StreetGlide that if you would start it before the check engine lamp (CEL) went out when you turned on the ignition the ETC was dead. Would have to pull the main fuse to reset everything. Then it would function ok. A buddy whose a great tech at our local dealer thought that was about as backward as it could get. I just made sure the CEL was off before starting the bike and never had further trouble.

#3 ·
hdmikeyb, Thanks for the info.
Got my bike back yesterday. Started fine the first time but later tried again and it went right to limp mode again so I cycled the ing. 3 times and it came out of it. Has worked fine for three more starts after that. If the bike starts with no engine light on it runs great.

#4 ·
2014 ultra limited D&D 2-1 with thundermax

I have the same problem with my thundermax. I did all the work myself and trying to trouble shoot with thundermax software that sends them info, but I have not had any luck even after upgrading the firmware. let me know if you have a resolution.

#5 · (Edited)
hat706, My dealer did all the work on my bike. They got in touch with Thundermax and got firmware down load. They had it for some time and tried and retried to get it to act up and it didn't so I got it back home and it acted up one time since then.
After hearing from hdmikeyb I have been doing that and have not had any problems since. Now I have heard that some have had issues with the connectors. Did you have any problems before up grade?
Have rode about 400 more miles since I got it back. Have started it 10 to 15 times. All good for now.

Good luck

#6 ·
You can have the Thundermax, I personally know three guys that put one on, then ended up taking it off due to unsolvable issues. One of them is a Service Mgr at a Harley dealership that had lots of contact with the Thundermax folks but they just could not solve the issues on his Street Glide.

#8 · (Edited)
Just a update on my 2014 Limited going into limp mode. Took a 4 day trip and Put 650 miles on it and did not have any issues with the ETC or the check engine lamp so for now I guess it's fixed? When ever I go to start it I wait till CEL goes out and then fire up.
I guess time will tell.
Thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.