V-Twin Forum banner

The new Road Glide

7K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  TERMINKNOTTER 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Looks about the same, looks like the handlebar is different, the question is does it still wants to knocks your head off with wind buffering or that slight angle change fixed it.

#10 ·
I read most of the tech write up on the new SG and according to it the new fairing is supposed to dramatically reduce the wind buffering through the use of three adjustable vents (if I read it right).

Even though I'm not a huge fan of the solid mount fairings I do think that this new one is better looking and flows with the rest of the bike better. I like the thinner wider headlight opening as opposed to the older fairing.

If I was going to purchase a SG it would be this model over an older model if purchase was based just on that aesthetics alone.

#12 ·
Yeah, i meant RG, it was early.......

#17 ·
Function over form, Lenny. I'm guessin' the height of the fairing is placed as to direct air away from your face rather than into it.

#16 ·
It's not enough to make me run out and buy a new one. But if I was in need of a replacement, I could live with the changes.

I'm wondering about lowers? Will there be add on units from the paint shop?

I'm also not happy with that front wheel. That form over function stuff is for the birds and peeps who wax instead of riding. The 17 inch wheel rides and handles noticeably better. They released a 17 inch RG style wheel to replace the 18's, and more often than not are sold out of them. I guess they figure that the big wheel fad will sell scooters.

The fender is a better fit to that wheel, but I wonder if there room to swap out the wheel for a 17.

#24 ·
It's not enough to make me run out and buy a new one. But if I was in need of a replacement, I could live with the changes.

I'm wondering about lowers? Will there be add on units from the paint shop?

I'm also not happy with that front wheel. That form over function stuff is for the birds and peeps who wax instead of riding. The 17 inch wheel rides and handles noticeably better. They released a 17 inch RG style wheel to replace the 18's, and more often than not are sold out of them. I guess they figure that the big wheel fad will sell scooters.

The fender is a better fit to that wheel, but I wonder if there room to swap out the wheel for a 17.
Finally, a decent looking cast wheel on a Touring Class H-D. I'd like to put PM wheels, rotors and pulley on a bagger if I ever get one; but, I'm not shelling out $4K or more for aftermarket contrast cuts with matching rotors. IMHO, the Styling Department got something right for a change.

In other disagreements Thermo...OEM Enforcer front wheel is a 19"...not exactly indicative of the "big front wheel craze" which, I agree, is kinda stewpid if you ask me.

Attachments

#18 ·
I put up pics of the 2105 and the 2013 side by side on my screen and it appears to me that the 2015 fairing is actually a bit lower than the 2013 but I could be wrong.

#25 ·
Got to get me some of that!

Rode this Special on a 16 mile demo test yesterday. Was a cool, overcast, and breezy day at 59*F and blowing 20-25 mph Northerly. Rolling crosswind was as expected with all of the bodywork catching the air. Then turning northward, the newly-styled fairing w/stock windscreen cut through the wind with ease as I rolled on the throttle. Even with the Rushmore breather and OEM exhaust, the motor's tone was fairly impressive; especially compared to the Softail Breakout I had test rode just prior.

Bottom Line: Handling and acceleration are adequate for an FL, braking is terrific, and the vented fairing has much improved stability for the (shorter @ 66") rider to address the buffeting issue. I'll be looking for rental opportunities until I pull the trigger...which is gonna happen.

:D Man, I love this bike (the color? not so much). If I were to buy tomorrow it'd have to be Superior Blue methinks.

#29 ·
I've got some pics of my 2012 and my buds 2015 side by side, and from a few other views, but of course my Photobucket account won't come up. I'll try again later.

The 2015 fairing is quite noticeable lower, certainly not higher.

The 2015's are a nice bike. I'm not getting rid of my 12, not yet anyway, but if I was in the market the changes are pretty nice.

#31 ·
A Bud rolled by today on his 2015 RG

He was grinning ear to ear.
It had 20 miles on the clock.
He'd traded in a well used '99 Road King he had since new, that had about 10 minutes left on the cam chain shoes, forked out some hard saved green and financed the rest.
I gave him the "Harley Tax" speech, but he held back his detachable tour pack, back rest, and all the docking hardware planning on selling it all to get some slip ons.
IMO, you either love or hate the Shark Noses, I was warming up to the '15, but glad that I still have my Ultra.

Attachments

#32 ·
I would have waited for a new Road Glide if they had a model that came with the tour pack instead of stepping up to a CVO for $40k. The Limited has everything I want, but the new Glide looks sweet. I will ride one the first chance I get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.