Cams for touring bikes... : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2003, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

elvisVerde wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cams for touring bikes...

I guess my question is are there any of you out there who have a more lively cam than the 203/204/37b (Andrews) cams that everyone seems to think are touring type cams. I don't understand why everyone seems to think that these are "touring" cams and that baggers need to avoid anything more radical-in terms of lift and duration-than that.

My thinking is that since I do actually tour on my tourer, I am operating at-relative to street operation-high rpm, and when I pass I am at high rpm, and when I merge I am at high rpm. Don't I want the power at high rpm? Yes, you say, but you really want the broad torque band that these listed cams will give you, not some peaky curve that will have you reaching for a lower gear, etc.

Well, when I look at curves of the moderately exotic cams, expecially if we are talking also about 95 inchers, the torque is STILL better than stock, and is comparable to the "touring cams". Plus, as I said above, a lot of true touring activity doesn't occur at 2500 rpm anyway and you do want the upper end power.

And, if you pick your parts right, you can have a lively cam and torque too. One of the best looking torque curves listed in the SE section of the accessories catalog is a 95 incher with high torque heads and a 211 cam. It has a big fat torque curve that doesn't go below 90 ft-lbs. and a full and steadily growing hp curve. I want that power. Can't we baggers have fun too?
elvisVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2003, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

shag wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question

When I was selecting a cam for my bagger I called andrews and they asked me my riding habits and they addvised a tw50 or tw55 for my e-glige standard. They said you can get away with a lot more cam with the 95 kit and more compression. I too looked at that same screamin eagle torque chart with the 211 cams. I think one of the reasons it is so torquey is because it has such high compression. I chose the 211 cams for the same reason you stated about the rpm range . That seems to be about the same riding style I have. Iwent with a cam that was on the racey side for that bike but would not take it out of its intended purpose. I think I suceeded. It only has 200miles on it so I can`t get on it yet but seat of the pants feels like their is more power EVERYWHERE!
shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

FLHT wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went with the 203 cam because its for low and mid-range torque. And thats where I want the extra power for two up and pulling a trailer.
I dont plan on riding way over the speed limit or doing hole shots.
By the charts the cam is in at the rpm I will be running.
I can pass just by rollon power and gain 10 to 15 mph going around a car. Why would I need a cam that works good at 5000 rpm ? my bike will never see it.
FLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

SYCLONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
What you are really asking for is a cam with shorter duration numbers to build high cylinder pressure to give you strong low end torque. but you also want it to pull good at higher rpms for high speed passing.
Bob Woods makes one. Look at the tw-6hg cam. .590 lift to allow the cylinders to fill at higher rpm. duration at 240 (20/40 and 42/18) for great bottom end grunt. Its a gear drive cam so you solve the tensioner wear problem also.
Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.
SYCLONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 08:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ISBRAM wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have found in selecting a cam you really have to look at the whole engine as a package. And look at your daily riding habits and lets not forget the weight of the bike. I would much rather have a little too mild of cam. Than one that I have to rev the piss out of the engine every time I want to pass someone or climb a hill.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

wurkenman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes touring bikes can have funn too. I run 600 lift cam with 256 degrees of duration. To answere your question, yes I have to downshift to pass, but oh what a thrill to grab a handful and let the pipes bark. This is in an 80 inch evo putting out 83hp at the wheel.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

SIDEKICK wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you want a big cam, get a big cam. learn to live with it.
SIDEKICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

SYCLONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Go to "Wood Carbs" web site. Click on dyno runs on the left side. Click on the various cams for 88 or 95" motors . take your pick. If you're gonna do it, do it once and put in a gear drive. I dont care how little wear shows on the tensioner blocks, that crap is going through the motor. Would you grind up a half or quarter ounce of plastic and sprinkle it in at the next oil change and assume its all gonna end up in the filter ??

'08 Night Rod Special,
Tab exhaust,topless,Dobeck Fueler

Coast "wailea" hot tub
2 3hp pumps, 50 sq.ft. filter
42 trillium jets, LED lighting
420 gallons...seats 6
SYCLONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement