Electra Glide - standard vs classic vs ultra : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2003, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Warhawk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Electra Glide - standard vs classic vs ultra

Howdy, I'm new here. Been riding a long time, riding a Kawasaki Nomad right now.

I ride a lot of miles every year, about 20K this year, maybe 50 of those were with a passenger (Cheri rides her own). I've done 5 Iron Butt rides in the last year and will do that many or more next year. I rarely ride the bike to work so when I get out to ride, I log some miles.

Anyway, the time has come for me to finally buy an Electra Glide. I initially thought I'd buy a standard, and add the tourpak I've already got, and a radio with XM capabilities.

The guys I know who have the standard wish they had bought the Classic. Now that I'm seriously looking at a Classic I'm wondering if I should go all the way and buy an Ultra?

I am afraid that I wouldn't use the intercom or CB at all, and the rear speakers would just be in the way. The lowers would be nice for cold weather, and the cruise is something I plan to add if I get a classic or a standard.

I'd like to hear from those of you who ride the various models of the Electra Glide. For me, a long distance, solo rider ... which one makes the most sense?

Thanks ...
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2003, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pestilence

Flyer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Standard for me. Get to put the goodies that I like on. The price difference made me think of what I would put on my Standard vs what the Classic has. And besides.....the plain black paint on fenders and bags looks sooo much better than the pinstriped one.

Stereo? Buy a Gold Wing
Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

BigG wants to know Dino or Syn?
The most compelling reason for getting an ultra would be for the lowers, cb, intercom and cruise. Since you only want one of the 4, it would seem that the classic would make the most amount of sense.
I have a classic and have added cruise and the rear speakers upgrade kit - all depends on what you want. I have wind deflectors instead of the lowers - most people I know that have the lowers take them off in the summer, and only use them when it gets cold this time of year.
Good Luck.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Ryan wants to know Dino or Syn?
standard for me too, wouldn't use the radio much anyway, lose the signal 20 miles out of town, rather have a luggage rack, never had lowers or cruise, don't have as much chrome to polish, just hose her down once in a while.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 05:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Terrorists suck!

UltraRick wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up

I went for the Ultra from a Roadking. My reasoning was this. Once you have the standard or classic, you will be adding to it. Tourpack, speakers, lowers, cruise etc. If you get the Ultra, you will have all of the above and more. What you don't use just don't turn on. When I had my Roadking, I thought having a radio on a scooter was crazy, now that I have one, I would not be without it, same way with the cruise. The grin factor is very high on an Ultra, higher than the 2 antennaes whipping in the wind. If you can afford it go with the Ultra.

But then again I am biased and/or spoiled with mine.
USCCA Member

Life is good! Let's Ride

Rick
UltraRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 06:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Straydog wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the Standard. Wish I had the Ultra and a Road King. Guess I'll have to be happy with what I've got. Actually, I am. I've added a radio and decent enough speakers to keep me happy. You guys that say you don't need a radio . . . once you've tried it, you'll like it.

With the Standard, you are unlimited to upgrades. The problem is that those upgrades will be expensive. If you can swing the Classic, or even the Ultra, I'd suggest that you do it. If not, the Standard is a great touring bike. Let us know what you end up with.

Welcome aboard!
Old 10-18-2003, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

UltraRick is right about the cruise and music - I have cruise on my King Classic, but the tunes were something I didn't know I would enjoy as much as I do - I have my mp3 plugged in and have upgraded to the 70 watt kit - on a long trip with the cruise in gear and the tunes belting out - it just doesn't get a lot better!
Good luck, welcome and let us know where you end up.
Ride Safe
Old 10-18-2003, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

Red Haired Boy wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you can swing it go for the Ultra, then you have it all to use as you wish. Good luck and keep us informed.....
Red Haired Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

donnie wants to know Dino or Syn?
I added a Trike shop fairing to my Road King just so I could enjoy the tunes. Is there an easy to get more amps out of the head unit. I have Pioneer CD player which says 40+40 amps but at speeds above 50-55 mph the wind drowns the sound out. If I turn it up louder the speakers distort. Any ideas? I am running the stock alternator.
donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks, I'm probably going with a Classic. The Classic is about $2300 over the Standard and the Ultra is about $4300 over the standard.

I like the looks of the standard, I love the customized standard on the H-D website. If I get a Classic I can get the quick detach tourpak mounts and only use it for long trips. With the Ultra there is a lot more to remove to get that look, and I'm more of a minimalist. I'm riding a Nomad now, which is setup like a Road King. The radio and cruise are what I want.

If I decide that I want the goodies from the Ultra, I'll trade up in 2 or 3 years.

Thats my thinking this morning <G>. Who knows, when it's time to plunk down the cash I may go back ot the standard.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Mister Breeze wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yours, are some of the same reasons I bought my Classic. I can even get along without the cruise,I just use the lock when on the interstate.

I also was going to remove the tour pack,but after getting used to all the room I've left it on.

The CD with the radio is awesome. I have no problems hearing it at even 80mph with the two speakers that come with the Classic. I had no need for the extra gingerbread and cost of the Ultra,but that was ME. I always say to each his own. You can always add the "extras" later if you want. Any of your choices will be a good one...you will love this bike!!!

Mister Breeze
Mister Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 11:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Howdy Breeze ... Thanks .

I understand that the '04s have a aux input for a CD changer? Does anybody know what kind of connection it uses?

I'm looking for something to plug my XM radio into.

For anyone who hasn't tried it, XM radio is the answer for traveling. You never get out of range of a station, and it's go so many channels it's like having cable TV on the bike.
Old 10-18-2003, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

BCPD199 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Classic!

I went with the classic. No need for CB or intercom. I added cruise and removeable tour pak. Looks great without it. Love the stereo!!!!
BCPD199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 04:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

warhawk - the aux input is a small pin jack - very common. Make sure you buy the sterro one, not mono.
Ride Safe
Old 10-18-2003, 06:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

-PopRocks- wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had origanlly ordered the Classic, but knew I wanted to get lowers for the cold Wisconsin spring and fall seasons, price with the glove boxes about $800. Fuel injection was standard on the Ultra, add $600 on the Classic, plus this and that and when all was said and done the Ultra actually cost me less than building up the Classic.

Will I ever use the CB? Maybe, maybe not, but I got one. Will I use the intercom? don't know, I think I will with my kid on the back, we'll see. The stereo is nice, the back speakers round out the sound nicely over just front speakers and the passenger controls are a nice touch. Some like a little extra, some like a lot...I tell ya I love my big gal, she's first class!

One bad motor scooter.....
-PopRocks- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement