Cruise control does not work on Street Glide : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

motorheads5 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Cruise control does not work on Street Glide

Hello Guy's
I dont use my cruise control much but I tried it the other day, flipped the swithc on the light came on but it wont respond to the thumb control. Is there a test I can do to find a error code?
I did replace my grip's and I am wondering if I screwed up something inside the handlebar control.
I replaced my Bar's a couple year's ago and everything worked just fine and I'm confident on my wiring because I did not have to splice them !!! I'm frustrated please help.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

LoneEagle964 wants to know Dino or Syn?
when you put your grips on if you did not get the idle cable adjusted correct it may be keeping the roll off switch on not allowing your cruise to engage, may want to check cable adjustment.

LoneEagle
LoneEagle964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

TexasBowhunter wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check to make sure that your brake switch isnt broken...your brake lights will be on even though you apply the brakes...the brake switch in the housing on the bars is very delicate and breaks easy...
Paul
TexasBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

thank's for the input guy's I appreciate it.
I should have mentioned that My bike is fly by wire 2010. But I will check the brake switch that is a good point.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

NJ Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check the shop manual. If I remember correctly, there is a diagnosis chart. When you go into the trouble codes through the speedometer, one of the options is cruise trouble shooting.
The switches, etc. can be tested this way.
NJ Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

patched wants to know Dino or Syn?
There is also a switch on the clutch side..........
patched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

gusotto wants to know Dino or Syn?
The cruise control wasn't working when I got the bike out.
2007 Ultra.
Light wouldn't go green, just stayed red.
Took it to the dealer. Quick diagnosis and told my "idle control cable" was bad.
$45 part. Just a bit over 1 hour to replace.
Works fine now.

They did give me my old part and there is a contact switch that was a "bit" green on the cable.
I think if I knew it was there, I might have been able to spray some contact cleaner on the switch (hides under a rubber hood) and I might have been good to go.

You learn.....
gusotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusotto View Post
The cruise control wasn't working when I got the bike out.
2007 Ultra.
Light wouldn't go green, just stayed red.
Took it to the dealer. Quick diagnosis and told my "idle control cable" was bad.
$45 part. Just a bit over 1 hour to replace.
Works fine now.

They did give me my old part and there is a contact switch that was a "bit" green on the cable.
I think if I knew it was there, I might have been able to spray some contact cleaner on the switch (hides under a rubber hood) and I might have been good to go.

You learn.....
Your bike has throttle cables. The OPs bike is throttle by wire.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

megawatt wants to know Dino or Syn?
I recently changed to mini apes and did the internal wiring. On first ride out to test operation of all the switches (lights, signals, cruise, etc) I thought I had a problem with the cruise control. Turns out you have to be above a certain mph for the cruise to activate. At first I tried at 28mph down my neighborhood street and the cruise did not engage. It was not until I got out on a bigger street at 45mph and all worked out perfectly. Glad I did not just ride back to the garage and tear everything apart to check the connections.

2006 RCC turbo busa with 311 hp - 174 ft-lbs on pump gas for when I need the speed.
megawatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Thank's Megawatt for the input. I did think of that actually and it didnt make a difference. I am out of town right now so I cant look into the problem of maybe a clutch switch or brakelight switch issue. I will update here if I can figurte it out.
Thank's everyone.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

btsom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by megawatt View Post
I recently changed to mini apes and did the internal wiring. On first ride out to test operation of all the switches (lights, signals, cruise, etc) I thought I had a problem with the cruise control. Turns out you have to be above a certain mph for the cruise to activate. At first I tried at 28mph down my neighborhood street and the cruise did not engage. It was not until I got out on a bigger street at 45mph and all worked out perfectly. Glad I did not just ride back to the garage and tear everything apart to check the connections.
I believe the owner's manual says 30 mph is the minimum speed for engagement.
btsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

thebarzeen wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the same problem.... then suddenly it worked, the next day it didn't.... 2009 FLHTP

I went through all of the wiring and checked everything I could and finally gave up and took the ride of shame to my dealer. They found that a connector had been bent up at some point during the install and the pins had corroded a bit.

They ordered new pins 3 weeks ago...... still waiting...... either way, check all of your connectors.
thebarzeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

DAVENRINO wants to know Dino or Syn?
There is no clutch switch on my old 2000.

2000 FLHTCUI
97"S&S, SE HEADS,TW6
PCIII, Jackpot 4" Exhaust
Ohlins / Progr... Monotubes
Bagger Brace, LRS 7" Shield
Mustang seat, Sony DSXS310
BT 2180 Amp / 6.5" Titan IIs
DAVENRINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

It was the front brake light switch ! When I changed the grip's I didnt line up the brake lever bracket correctly with the switch housing it has a small tab that need's to fit into the housing and with aftermarket Monkey Bar's it allowed me have a small space between the switch housing and the brake lever bracket, therefore the switch was in the ON position. BTW the switch need's to be held in to be in the off position so if you are just a bit off like I was the brake light is always on. Thank God I didnt get rear ended.
Thank's for the input as alway's very appreciative.