2013 Street Glide with transmission problems : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Akrab wants to know Dino or Syn?
2013 Street Glide with transmission problems

So I got my new Street Glide 7Dec, had 6 miles on it when I picked her up. Put about 2200 on since then, ride her to work daily and on weekends, weather permitting. Followed break in rules, got my 1000 mile service, all was well. Aweek or so ago, I start hearing a slight clicking/ticking noise. Took her to the dealership, First story i get is, Tech rode it, heard it to, put a steth on it and said it was in the tranny. Said, if I could leave it, theyd check it out, but also said i could take it and if it got worse, then bring it back. So i set up an appt for the following weekend. So back to the dealer, Dropped it off, said they would call me. 5 hours later, I call them, they basically tell me Clicking in the tranny is normal to 5k when it breaks in and that they could look at it, but if they do and theres nothing wrong, the warranty would be voided and I would have to pay when it did break. There suggestion was to ride it till it breaks? Kinda felt they were shinin me on. So should I ride it till it breaks? Should i take to another dealer? Should the tranny be clicking mostly in 3rd and 5th under load for 5k? any advice is greatly appreciated. Ak
Akrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Y2K-FLHRI wants to know Dino or Syn?
Why would a factory trained tech taking a look at something void the warranty?
I would take it to another dealer. I would also call Harley.
Y2K-FLHRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Run do not walk to another Dealer. Yours is trying to pull something on you.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

RKC-Charlie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Akrab, welcome to the forum. Often clicking sounds are on the primary side.
Your dealer is like many, pass b-s to you and push you out the door. I'd talk to your salesman or the sales manager and tell them their service department actually threatened to void your warranty. (They won't, on a stock bike you are covered for 24 months, period.) It would serve you well to contact Harley-Davidson directly, too.
You will get past this and enjoy a awesome bike. Keep us informed.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

HDSG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC-Charlie View Post
Akrab, welcome to the forum. Often clicking sounds are on the primary side.
Your dealer is like many, pass b-s to you and push you out the door. I'd talk to your salesman or the sales manager and tell them their service department actually threatened to void your warranty. (They won't, on a stock bike you are covered for 24 months, period.) It would serve you well to contact Harley-Davidson directly, too.
You will get past this and enjoy a awesome bike. Keep us informed.
I would go farther than that. It is pure B.S. that a dealer would do that. I would write a letter to the owner of the dealership and follow up with a letter to Harley Davidson itself. The documentation could be invaluable later. Not acceptable in 2013 by a large U.S. manufacturer.
I would also as soon as possible take the bike to another dealer as suggested.
HDSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree, total BS as far as voiding your warranty. I would contact HD directly and file a complaint. No telling how long it will take for that to be resolved if ever. Your choices are take to another dealer or just ride the piss out of it for a couple thousand miles and see what happens. As long as it's under warranty you're covered.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
FNG :)

m1215 wants to know Dino or Syn?
that don't make sense that the warranty would be void. i would go to another dealer and have them check it out. don't tell them you went to another dealer to have it checked.
m1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Mike02 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here's a suggestion.. lets start a black list of all these loser dealers with the BS responses they have come out with. Then, others will know ahead of time not to buy from them and/or bring their rides in for service.

Start spreading the word and you"ll see them change their ways pretty darned quick!!
Mike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

dickey wants to know Dino or Syn?
When he said it would void the warranty, I think he meant that if they found nothing wrong, taking it apart would not be covered & he would have to pay for that particular service.

In any event, I would not buy another new Harley because of the MoCo's cavalier attitude towards their customers. And I've had nothing but good experiences.
dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

HogDreamer wants to know Dino or Syn?
You can hear the tranny clicking in 3rd and 5th gear over the exhaust on a Harley? Are you sure you didn't purchase a Gold Wing by accident?

As long as the dealer said to ride the bike until it breaks, that's what I'd do. I don't believe though that a click you hear now will go away just because you put 5,000 miles on the odometer.

That's why I'm surprised they didn't just tell you that the noise is perfectly normal. That way they wouldn't have to fix it, ever, unless it really does break.

My experience with techs is they usually know what they're talking about. Service writers? Many of them are clueless, that's why they're service writers and not techs.

Pulled my bike into the service department once and left it running so they could hear a bearing was making a terrible racket. The service writer told me to shut my bike off. I told him I wanted him to hear the noise it was making. He said he could hear it and it was caused by the rear cylinder shutting off during idle.

I told him "are you kidding me? Please get a tech to listen". When the tech walked up he heard exactly what I was hearing and mentioned immediately that the inner primary bearing was bad. If the tech would have told me the same thing the service writer did I would have been out of there in about 30 seconds, never to return.
HogDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement