Ultra Limited painted inner fairing ... paint or buy : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

laserp wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ultra Limited painted inner fairing ... paint or buy

I have my inner fairing and fairing cap pulled. Planning on working with a local guy to have painted to match my Flame Blue Pearl on my 10 Limited. Are there any concerns with getting them painted, vs. buying new? I still have to find paint and wondering how hard and/or expensive that is.

Anyone out there I can work with in getting them painted? Maybe someone does this regularly, has the paint and learned all of the tricks of the trade?

Thanks,
Laser
02 FLSTCI 117, Darkhorsed, Baisley Pro-Street Heads & corrected geo. roller rockers, Axtell kit 20 deg. rev. dome pistons 11.5:1, HPI 55/58mm MaxFlow tb, Tman TR-662-2 & 3 stage pump, Boarzilla, Barnett Scorpion clutch, Jag 10 row oil cooler, tuned w/ Twin Scan II+/WEGO IIID

10 Ultra Limited 103, Andrews 54 cam, SEAC mod breather, Bigboyz ported heads @10.2 comp, Jackpot 2-1-2 header and Dyno tuned muffs, TTS, tuned w/ Twin Scan II+/WEGO IIID
laserp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Saved by Christ

RickDeVon wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would buy any painted parts that Harley sells that match...and the key word here is match...and custom fenders you want you can get paint from Harley for your painter...you just have to have a dealer that will bend to help you...some good painters can match your paint...
some on here will know more than I about this...

"Road King true American Motorcycle"

Last edited by RickDeVon; 01-14-2013 at 06:45 PM.
RickDeVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Bigfoot Ultra wants to know Dino or Syn?
Factory Harley paint is atrociously expensive, and then you need a top notch painter to get it applied just right. HD will sell you an atrociously priced inner fairing that is painted at the factory by their pros. Then you can sell your drab boring inner fairing for peanuts on e-bay. Personally, I'd go for the factory part but either way you go is going to be big bucks.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

This looks like a good way to go...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...-/200342747709
02 FLSTCI 117, Darkhorsed, Baisley Pro-Street Heads & corrected geo. roller rockers, Axtell kit 20 deg. rev. dome pistons 11.5:1, HPI 55/58mm MaxFlow tb, Tman TR-662-2 & 3 stage pump, Boarzilla, Barnett Scorpion clutch, Jag 10 row oil cooler, tuned w/ Twin Scan II+/WEGO IIID

10 Ultra Limited 103, Andrews 54 cam, SEAC mod breather, Bigboyz ported heads @10.2 comp, Jackpot 2-1-2 header and Dyno tuned muffs, TTS, tuned w/ Twin Scan II+/WEGO IIID
Old 01-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

reg26 wants to know Dino or Syn?
You could always order the painted inner from Hales Harley and get 20% off which comes out to $449 which is cheaper that the guy on ebay and direct from factory. I Cracked the bottom of my fender on my FLHX and ordered from them and I had it in three weeks.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg26 View Post
You could always order the painted inner from Hales Harley and get 20% off which comes out to $449 which is cheaper that the guy on ebay and direct from factory. I Cracked the bottom of my fender on my FLHX and ordered from them and I had it in three weeks.
Ya, I've seen them for that cheap, thanks for the lead. That's still $150 more than if the guy on that site paints mine. Is it worth the $150 to buy from the dealer vs. a well matched paint job. He says he has my paint color in stock.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

bcomes wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've heard it said that HD doesn't give out the codes/colors. My paint guy got the exact colors from PPG Paint. He did my inner fairing in two tone to match the outer fairing and added a few small pinstripes - all smooth behind clear coat. I like it because it's unique. I'd recommend having your paint guy do it.
bcomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcomes View Post
I've heard it said that HD doesn't give out the codes/colors. My paint guy got the exact colors from PPG Paint. He did my inner fairing in two tone to match the outer fairing and added a few small pinstripes - all smooth behind clear coat. I like it because it's unique. I'd recommend having your paint guy do it.
I went with Spence, the guy on the wed site I posted. He has my Harley paint in stock, says he's done a bunch of them and they came out very good. Says you'll never match perfect, some are worse than others. He is happy with the Flame Blue Pearl, says it matches well, as it's a nice dark color.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Sent the parts in today.
Laser

Sponsored Links
Advertisement