HD quality? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

JockWhisky wants to know Dino or Syn?
HD quality?

I'm looking at picking up a 2012 or 13 EGC in the spring and would like to know what I'm getting into. My alternatives are Honda and BMW but I'd rather not have to go there. Neither would my wife. I've been following Rendell's thread re known issues. Several posters referred to decrease in quality of HD. What are some of the specific quality issues that are being referred to? So far I've heard wheel bearings, regulators (recalled and fixed). Both are RELATIVELY cheap fixes. If the issues are relatively minor I could use the difference in cost to address them before they become problems. I'd be more worried about things that could turn into money pits.
I've put a gear drive and over 50000 miles on my 2001 FXST and it's been very reliable. I'd like the same reliability on the EG. Thanks for any help

JW
JockWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Just a kid at heart

wydeglyde wants to know Dino or Syn?
People like to bitch a lot, but in my experience the bikes are solid. They are a mechanical vehicle and subject to wear and tear and breakdowns, but by no means are they any worse than any other bike out there. If you have any worries purchase an extended warranty. Buy one and hit the road.

12 Road Glide Custom
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

lonslo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockWhisky View Post
I'm looking at picking up a 2012 or 13 EGC in the spring and would like to know what I'm getting into. My alternatives are Honda and BMW but I'd rather not have to go there. Neither would my wife. I've been following Rendell's thread re known issues. Several posters referred to decrease in quality of HD. What are some of the specific quality issues that are being referred to? So far I've heard wheel bearings, regulators (recalled and fixed). Both are RELATIVELY cheap fixes. If the issues are relatively minor I could use the difference in cost to address them before they become problems. I'd be more worried about things that could turn into money pits.
I've put a gear drive and over 50000 miles on my 2001 FXST and it's been very reliable. I'd like the same reliability on the EG. Thanks for any help

JW
You are correct, both are cheap fixes. But if you are stranded by the road in the middle of nowhere because the moco would not spend 4 or 5$ to buy better wheel bearings or quality regulator a cheap fix is not very comforting. HD is trying to keep the price of their motorcycle affordable at the expense of quality.
lonslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Blacklinebrett wants to know Dino or Syn?
To buy anything but a HD is a mortal sin. 10/4

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Blacklinebrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklinebrett View Post
To buy anything but a HD is a mortal sin. 10/4

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Then I've sinned and I'm sure I'll do so again in the future. I agree with lonslo, being broke down because the MoCo wanted to save a couple bucks isn't fun. My dad and I lost a trip in 2011 when his 2009 Triglide once again had the start button fail. We were 1,400 miles from home when his starter engaged as he pulled into a gas station. He ended up having his trike put on a flat bed and hauled 100 miles to where the nearest HD dealer was, then we got to wait for 3 days for them to open due to the 4th of July holiday.

To rub salt into the wound this was the 2nd time the switch failed and little did we know not the last, plus I didn't realize but I was to dodge a bullet also. We weren't back 2 weeks when the start button on my 2010 Triglide failed, then a couple weeks after that my dad had his start button fail again.

In the 36,000 my dad has had his 09 Triglide it has gone through 3 start buttons, a compensator, a broken top motor mount, front wheel bearings, a rear O2 sensor and the oil cooler adapter had to be replaced because it wouldn't quit leaking. My 2010 which I kept 22,000 miles had a start button fail, the compensator fail, the stator start leaking oil and the oil cooler adapter starting to leak, there was also an electrical gremlin running around causing half the electrical system to go out from time to time.

I know another person with the trike who has had to have 2 starters replaced along with other trashed parts in the primary when his start button failed going down the freeway and he didn't hear the starter engage. A handful of folks have had the reverse motor just fall off while riding, didn't know it was missing until they went to use it and it didn't work. There are a few including my dad who have had reverse engage while in forward motion, there is an interlock which is supposed to prevent reverse from engaging while the transmission is in gear.

The MoCo just keeps throwing parts at the problems and waiting for the warranty to expire which will them let the future repairs fall on the individuals.

Myself, I saw the future problems I was going to be having with my 2010 and dumped it for a nice 2012 Goldwing. The MoCo is being run by the bean counters, nothing good is going to come of that.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Slick03 H-D wants to know Dino or Syn?
As mentioned above, wheel bearings, regulators, cheap inner cam bearings, also inner primary bearing/transmission issues (but I suspect alot of those can be cured by using a different style primary chain adjuster other than the H-D automatic adjuster that overtightens the primary putting undue load on the seals/bearings) all minor things but would be a real pita if they let loose on the road..As stated above, buy the extended warranty and enjoy the bike..
H-D Ventilator air cleaner Dyno by Doc/98hp & 107tq
CVO adjustable rear shocks
Leather C&C seat
Freedom 8" dark smoked windshield
Painted inner fairing
Streamliner boards/pegs
Nostalgic bag rails
10" Yaffe mini apes
Plus a lot more to come much to my wife's dismay

Slick03 H-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I agree with Slick. You won't find the newer EG any less reliable than your 01 soft tail.

Common sense and attention to minor and easily fixed issues identified on this site should provide a very reliable ride.

I believe there are no money pits lurking on those bikes. But you may want to consider the Ultra over the Classic. That way your wife can control the radio.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
should'nt have to spend big money on esp's, i agree with slick, but HD needs to get their heads out of their ass's and start putting better parts on these bikes, are they are going to lose the market. alot cheap chinese junk on the new bkies.
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

plongson wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Chinese child labors sure make great chrome though...I wonder how they do so well at such a young age?? I hear the chrome shop kids are always trying to bump into the start switch shop though.

plongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think any bike purchased at this date won't have the regulator issue.It was a bad batch of regulators during the spring of winter/spring 2011/2012.I had this issue on my bike,purchased the end of June.

My regulator would cease charging when it got hot.After it cooled,it would go back to charging.Mine quit charging 30 miles from the end of a 3 day trip,but got me home.I left it on the charger overnight,and it charged 30 miles on the way to the dealer who replaced it on the spot.

The only other issue I had,was one of the stock speakers quit in the fairing,I remedied that by replacing them with Rokkers.I personally think that's a way for the dealer to sell more of their upgraded speakers,as none had a stock speaker on hand.

I've only ridden this bike 7,000 miles so far,but had no issues other than these,and love the bike.

2002 Superglide
2012 Road glide Ultra T-header,T-max,Tuned Induction
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

cata5803 wants to know Dino or Syn?
No More New Harley's for ME

Had 2 new Harley's, FLHX and a FLHTK, problems listed above.. Then on the Limited my front wheel's chrome started comming off, flaking and peeling and the Motor Co. would not stand good for it.. It was still under the original 2 yr warranty. I got so pissed I got rid of Limited and got 2 used Harley's. A 2002 FLSTS and a 2001 FLHT Standard.. Never New for me again on a Harley... Hope this help's your decission...
Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

lonslo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cata5803 View Post
Had 2 new Harley's, FLHX and a FLHTK, problems listed above.. Then on the Limited my front wheel's chrome started comming off, flaking and peeling and the Motor Co. would not stand good for it.. It was still under the original 2 yr warranty. I got so pissed I got rid of Limited and got 2 used Harley's. A 2002 FLSTS and a 2001 FLHT Standard.. Never New for me again on a Harley... Hope this help's your decission...
You now have the better bikes. I have 99rk ( old cop bike ) highly abused and 05 rk with well over 100k both are bullet proof. Also have 2012 rk with 19k ,I think of it as disposable, dont plan to keep it long.
lonslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

sportcruiser wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had an 09 and just bought a '13. Before that, many Honda's, Yamaha's and a BMW or 2. I think it depends how you define quality. I prefer to ride my Harley to the others. I also like the fact that the Harley is very easy to maintain. To me, that's part of the quality equation. My last Yamaha, a Roadliner had the following "quality" problems.

- 5th gear too low, engine spun very fast at highway speeds (it was a v-twin also)
- Buzz in handlebars
- had to remove fuel tank and gauge cluster to service air filter
- had to remove entire exhaust system to adjust belt tension
- Floor boards scrape in the slightest turn

In short, although the Roadliner was very powerful and made well, I didn't think is was a very good motorcycle. I think my Harley is a great motorcycle, that could use a more modern engine. Again, it's all about how you measure quality.
sportcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

WEINERDOGBONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have an 09 FLHX and haven't had a single promblem with it. I'll cross my fingers but I trust the bike.

My buddy had the primary bearing failure on his Street Glide at about 40k miles. He caught it before it completely imploded because he started hearing some grinding noises and didn't ignore it. His is the only problem I know of in the group of about 20 guys I ride with.
WEINERDOGBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

scott61610 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have 7000 miles on my 12 classic love the bike never had a problem. Do it you won't regret it!
scott61610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement